Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Travel Advice

I'm looking for some advice on travelling. I am making my first big trip overseas later this year. I'm from Australia, and I am heading to the UK and western Europe for 6.5 weeks, then Hong Kong for afew days - all up about 7 weeks.

I'm a little aprehensive about the flight across (about 22 hrs - i've never even been in a plane before) and my time in western Europe will be on a tour bus.

Do any of you have any helpful ideas / suggestions / experiences you are able to share to help me prepare for this trip. Do you know of any websites that I may be able to research. Any areas I should be particlarly concerned about. I'm a bit worried about the food (i'm sure it will be fine, but I can be such a picky eater sometimes). I've heard Phenergan (sp?) is good for flights (here in Aus, I believe it is only available on prescription, but that shouldn't be a problem for me, my Doctor is pretty good).

I dunno, I booked this trip late last year, and now that it is only afew months away, i'm starting to really thing about the nitty gritty bits involved with travelling, and now i'm getting worried - when really I should be looking forward to it.

Help.

Hiya, God it sounds great what your doing! I was born just outside of spain so i fly back there to see my family every couple of months, I know it only like a 2 hour flight but I do it all the time! I take these tablets that I can't remeber the name of at the moment but I will find out for you (there upstairs somewhere!) they calm you down loads and make you unable to panic or freak out even if you want to! Why don't you take some ant-emet tablets on your trip to just incase you get ill. I don't really know bout any advice about the places you ngoing the only thing I can suggest is don't eat Sushi! (just to be on the safe side!) and try not to drink the water from certain places as it can be a bit funny in some places I think! hope that helps! (A bit!!) x x

Hey, awww i hope you have a nice time on this trip[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]! Um well about place's, well england is a preety safe place to eat lol, but yeah things to be carefull of are meat things i would say, i mean i don't eat things like chicken and stuff unless i know its cooked properly, yeah don't eat sushi thats a good one lol, my brother eats it all the time (ewww) lol. But i hope you have a really nice time! and i hope your doc can give you some advice on some antiemetic tabs to. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Ruth.

TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I dont have any advice, my last trip involved flying to North cyrpus via Turkey, it was a pain but fantastic when I was there (have been several times).

My ony tip is to apply tea tree oil around your nose whilst you fly, it is supposed to kill cold/flu bugs before they enter the system(thats what I read anyway and it smells nice!!!) but as for sv's I have no idea.

Anyway I hope you have an AB FAB trip and make sutre you ENJOY yourself big time!!!

Laney xx

First of all I would suggest a motion sickness medication, such as Dramamine or Bonine (not sure what you have in Austrailia for that). Also, have you ever heard of ReliefBand? It looks like a watch, but you wear it on either wrist, and it sends little pulsations to your P6 nerve, which is supposed to control nausea. They also sell elastic travel sickness bands, too. The ReliefBand is kind of expensive. I got mine on E-Bay, and I plan on using it for my surgery this Thursday.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I have another appt with my Doc for my last jab in June, so I will talk to him then about motion/travel sickness pills.

As for food, I stay away from sushi,chicken and any under-cooked meat here, so I doubt I will change my mind on the other side of the world. But thanks for your advice and words of encouragement.

S.

have a wonderfull time !!

If you're allowed to take it on the plane, make some ginger tea with fresh root ginger.
    And some ginger biscuits.
    Some mints to suck if you feel you need refreshing.

And sip bottled water so you don't get dehydrated on the flight.

If you're worried about feeling sick or anything on the plane, I have these things called Sea Bands, which are grey wristbands with little white plastic balls, which lie on your pressure points on your wrists and prevent nausea, which I've found really useful for car journeys and stuff, but they're supposed to work with things like sea sickness, any kind of motion sickness and morning sickness and stuff.
    So they're the kind of thing which is good to have in the cupboard if you're nervous about trips, and I find they calm me down, just knowing I have them.
    You can probably get them on the internet, or at good pharmacys.
    And I always take a motion sickness pill.
    Even though it sometimes makes me worry about the journey.

Coaches can get stuffy, so get can get water spray things. Like aerosols, which refresh your skin, and keep you cool.
    I find them quite helpful on long journeys, I used an Evian one on my school coach journey to France.

And when you're abroad, just go with your instinct and don't eat anything which looks dodgy. Or in places you're not comfortable with eating in, and it should go smoothly.

I apologise if that was no help at all. :]

Luce x