Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

So here I am, locked in my room because my mom has an sv*. She was complaining of stomach pain earlier in the day and d*, as well as bouts of nausea. When she first said, "Ohh, my stomach", I got that wave of anxiety I always get when someone within 5 feet of me says they feel sick. So she laid down and I went to the chiropractor with my dad. Walked in the door about 2 hours ago, and that unmistakeable, acidic smell was permeating the air -- I'm sure everyone here knows it.

So I immediately retreated to my room, and here I am, being a scaredy-cat. Some of the symptoms she described I feel like I'm starting to get; I don't know whether it's my mind playing tricks on me like it so often does when people get sick, or that I'm actually coming down with something. Every time I feel chills coming on or rumbling in my stomach, I get this panicky feeling, like I'm going to wake up in the middle of the night tonight and have to run to the bathroom covering my mouth. Is there anything I can do right now to keep from getting sick? I understand it's not airborn, so should I just keep slathering on the hand sanitizer?

And how can I relax myself? I'm feeling pretty anxious, obviously. Anything that involves leaving my room is pretty much out of the question.

Thanks for reading.

Firstly, understand that even if your mom does have a contagious stomach virus, you are not doomed to catch it. Do not let your mind mess with you with the 'what if' thinking. As soon as you find yourself thinking that way, or thinking negatively, do something.. anything.. to change your thought pattern. (maybe think of a favorite memory, or try to go through all the names of the states, or go through the alphabet and think of a friend you have or a food you like or anything that begins with each letter. just any thought that would get your previous thought -being the negative one- out of your mind. Ideally, you will eventually change these negative thoughts into positive enforcements).

Take deep breaths. Meditate. Read. Watch a relaxing movie. Take a hot shower or bath. Write a loved on a letter. Journal about how you feel and how you wish you could feel. Write a letter to yourself as if you are 5, telling yourself why you should not be worried about what is worrying you. Listen to your favorite music.

Just know that everything will be okay. I cannot count the amount of times that people here have been in your shoes and not gotten sick from their family member. You will be okay. Just relax.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Hi rakshasa, sorry to hear that your mom is ill. I've locked myself in my room before when my dad and brother got the sv. I closed the door and even locked it, like having the door locked would keep the germs from getting in! HA! I didn't get sick though, good thing germs don't know how to pick locks.

Anyway, shiva has some good advice, get your mind off things. If you can, go outside for a while and get some fresh air, take a walk, ride a bike, or just lay in the yard. If you keep meditating on the illness you are going to feel really crappy, not because you are coming down with it, but because your mind and body are creating false symptoms because you are concentrating so hard on NOT feeling that way. If you can get your mind off it you will start to feel better.

You'll be ok.

Our anxiety can mimic actual symptoms so well. Keep washing your hands and remember that if you actually do catch it, you have a good chance of not actually v*ing. I'm so sorry that you are going this! Welcome to the board anyway.
    ~~~Carolyn~~~

Hi, I'm new and I've never posted anything before but I do read some of the other posts and I'm fascinated to know there are so many other people out there who do the same things I do. I always thought I was crazy until I found this site. I can relate to locking yourself in your bedroom. My step-daughter was at our house one weekend and we were together all day Saturday and later that evening (around 7pm) she startedto v*andit continuedall night long. I locked myself in my bedroom and my husband stayed up withher all night both in her room and the living room. She went back to her mother's the next morning, but I made my husband clean the entire house with Clorox and I sprayed everything, including the walls, with Lysol. I was so paranoid I was going to catch it because I had been with her all day Saturday. For the next several nights, I would not let myself fall asleep for fear that I might wake up in the middle of the night with the virus. I felt very depressed and very crazy for having those feelings of dread. The anxiety and fear of getting sickgreatly interfered with my life. But the good news is, I never got sick and neither did my husband!

And I'll introduce myself - my name is Krista and I am 32 years old and live in the United States - Texas. I have had this fear for as far back as I can remember and it's nice to know that I'm not the only one.

Hi Krista and rak,

welcome to the site. this phobia sure can control your life, can't it? It's so sad to be that afraid, or hol' up in your room.

I hope things go better soon.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A good long walk outside, or a journal entry are big helps to me. I would
    open my window and get my mind on something else. I would even take
    a trip shopping or something to get out of the house and get my mind off
    of it!

I can totally relate to the panicked feeling that you have about over
    analyzing every little thing that your body is doing to make you think
    that you are getting it. It is amazing how your body can have a panic
    attack and the symptoms are just like the sv*. Can be so hard on your
    mind!!!!

I think that you will be just fine! Keep us posted!
    Julie

open the windows & snuggle up with a good book - reading makes your mind focus on somethig other than what's freaking you out. don't be ashamed because you're hiding in your room - we've all done it.

are you feeling better, today?

~ bethany

\"what\'s meant to be will always find a way\"

::there is no way to peace
    eace is the way::