Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey

Well in 9 days I go to London and I'm staying with my friend who I will actually be with on the Sunday, not the one coming up but the one after. I'm pretty freaked anyway what with the travelling and being away from home. But trying to keep calm. Until she texts me yesterday and tells me she is sick with a stomach bug. This thing follows me around for sure.

A lot about this trip will be stressful, I'm meeting my online friend Michelle for the first time, I'll be away a whole week, I have no money LOL And now Clare is sick. Rationally I do know that I probably wont catch it but I'm still freaked at the thought of staying in this girls house. In some ways I see it as contaminated.

This trip is a really scary, difficult thing for me. How do I make it easier? And what about food/cutlery/plates? In my house I have my own. Weird I know but it worked out that way when we moved and I like it. Clare btw knows nothing of my emet. Michelle does.

How in the hell do I make this thing easier? Lately my anxiety has eased off but this is so...much, and with her being sick too. She missed work today because of it and it freaks me out so much. How do I mentally prepare?
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I know how you feel about it following you! Is there any way you could politely avoid staying at her house? I know how tricky these situations can be. Dealing with non-emets about these types of issues is always tough.

Edited by: csjones
    ~~~Carolyn~~~

hey hun,

Well first things first have a lovely time while you are down there in London its an experience and a half if you havent already been there before!

Im guessing clare is you gf?and this other woman is your friend you are going to meet?

Im sure by the time you get down there she will be free of what ever she had and rememer non emets are alot less carful and thats how they pick up things easier than we do ect..

make up a little list of things to take with you IE, hand sanitizer, anti-emetics, maybe a packet of anti bacterial wipes as well to help with going on public transport.

as you the traveling I dont know if you get travel v* or n* but motilium should sort that out alright if you need something to help your stomach, I also when im going away some where take immodium just as an extra support I dont know why but it seems to help.

I cant at the moment think of much else constructive to put to this but if there is anything else that I can think to add then il be sure to let you know,mind you, you probably have everything sorted hun[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

have an amazing time hun xx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well- you are going in 9 days, so she will likely be fine by then. Don't get stressed! And a "stomach bug" can really mean anything- if one of my friends has indigestion they often say they caught something when it was just because they ate something they shouldn't have! you don't know that what she has is even contagious!

Don't view her house as contaminated- don't let your mind start to play those tricks on you, or overanalyze everything. She will likely be fine by tomorrow or the next day, so by the time you get to her place she will not have any symptoms, and anything that may have been on a surface area would have long died. And remember- you are going to be there at least a week after her symptoms will be over. There are people here who take care of their kids WHILE they are in the midst of it, and still don't catch it. I have been VOMITTED ON while babysitting (kid had a virus and was sick for a few days afterwards) and I still didn't catch it.

I also wouldn't advise cancelling the trip, or not staying at her house, because that just plays into the ideology that her house is 'contaminated' and that being there will make you sick. And if you have planned this trip, don't let the emet interfere, because that can lead to a dangerous precedence. Once you do it once, it's easy to do it again and again.

Also, once you are there and having fun, you will likely be fine! That, and you should probably send an email to your friend about your phobia just in case....you don't want her to think that you are acting certain ways because you are weird or think she is dirty or something.

Dont get stressed out now, or let your mind even wander to where you don't want it to go. And have a GREAT trip!!!

*amber*

Hey Thanks for the advice so far

Gosh no Clare isn't my girlfriend, she is just a girl I know, barely know really, who is friends with Michelle and I and offered to put us up for a week. In theory there are 2 other friends I could stay with if I need to while I'm there but I want to try and make it if I can.

There is definately no cancelling this trip since Michelle is coming from Canada to see Clare and I lol I think thats what is freaking me out the most you know? The thought that I CANT get out of it.

Amber I never thought of it that way, that people are around their sick kids and don't get it. That's a very good way of looking at it, thank you. The nerves about the whole trip are really kicking in already and I just don't know how to cope. I don't want to cancel my trip anyway because I never want to give into this fear but it can be so so difficult sometimes you know? Add that to the fact I don't have a job right now and some place might want me to start next week and I'm just a big ball of stress.

I think I need to try some kind of relaxation exercise every night to try and get me a bit more chilled out about things. At the end of the day this is something I really want to do, and I'm kind of detirmined not to let emet get me but it's so hard to stop the thoughts sometimes.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

hippychick, wasn't it last year that you went on a trip to see your friend?
    I like what Amber put down, you go and have a good time.

Haha I do travel a lot to London etc, I like to try and push myself as much as I can. I was in London this time last year and actually the year before. I didn't notice that lol

The longest I've ever been away from home was when I used to go to Newquay for a week at a time but I've not done that in a while. The most lately has been 4 or 5 days, not a whole week. Edited by: hippychick

If you have 9 days to go then I am sure your friends stomach bug will definately be gone. I think you are very brave going on this trip and I am sure you will really enjoy yourself once you get overyour initial panic. Have a great time.

Think positive, you will gosee your friend and you will have a great time!!
    I was like that when I visited my sister, I got all hyped up for the drive there and it wasn't that bad at all. Turn the negative to positve. You will be fine, if I can travel 6 hours in a car you can go on this trip!! Believe me, I know you can do it!! When you come back you will be so proud of yourself!!!