Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

BECOME AN EMET.

I have been an emet all my life but it wasn't until my son got a bad sv at the end of last year that I have stopped bitting them. I am so scared of catching something from under my nails that I have now stopped.

Over the years I have tried everything to stop bitting them and now it is done. This is one upside of this bloody phobia. Still, I would rather chew my nails and not be an emet.

Forget all those nasty tasting liquids you paint on your nails to stop it. Become an emet and stop today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha Ha Ha

Karen
    There is no distance on this earth as far away as yesterday

Also~~There's this polish, by SALLY HANSEN, called Maximum Growth, and I swear by it!! I should take a pic of my nails and post them on here--they average about 1 to 1 and a half inches long!! I cut them down, and they're back again in 2 weeks! The stuff works, I've been using it since 1998, and my nails haven't been short since.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

I get my nails done...even though I know they are bacteria traps I would bite them till they bleed, now they look better. And people ask me if I'm worried about bacteria getting trapped? Haven't got sick yet!!

not exactly a slogan I'd go for..lol.

I have a horrible time biting the skin around my nails - totally gross I know - a total anxiety thing. I finally stopped though, away from the stress of school!
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I used to do the thing with biting the skin at the side of my nails when I was younger.

Charlene, that polish sounds good, I'll have to see if it's available over here. My nails always seem to start tearing at the sides just as they get to a nice length and I always end up with a few long nails and a few short ones.
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

I have biten my nails some times until they bleed for 30 something years. Last November I got the fake nails put on and didn't bite them like many times before. Happy to say the fake ones came off in November and I haven't bit my nails since then. I realize now they are a great asset!! Not so great when you are trying to type and it can be a challenge until you get used to them.
    I am proud of myself.

Nail-biting is a symptom of anxiety as well. In the general population it's like, mild OCD. In those with anxiety disorders it's just another manifestation of the disorder. If you address the anxiety in general and keep working through all the issues that led to it, the nailbiting will stop too!

(sorry, just a geeky response that nobody asked for)
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by tcsarah

I used to do the thing with biting the skin at the side of my nails when I was younger.

Charlene, that polish sounds good, I'll have to see if it's available over here. My nails always seem to start tearing at the sides just as they get to a nice length and I always end up with a few long nails and a few short ones.

You will love it! Just put it on, then in about 2 weeks, take it off and reapply, do that every 2 weeks, and you'll see them grow--I'm living proof! My nails were always soooo short before I started using this. Also, when my nails do split on the sides, I put a little KRAZY GLUE on, file, and voila! Good as new. I really hope this works for you[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    ~*~Charlene~*~

i used to bite my nails all the time, that was until a teacher said to me, thats the easiest way to catch worms. i havent done it snce. agree about the anxiety bit, i now chew my lips instead. have uclers that are so painful.

I am such a nail biter and just can't seem to stop. I've tried everything and I totally agree with it being an anxiety thing. It takes your mind off of it.

The totally weird thing for me is that I didn't bite them at all with both of my pregnancies and the day that the bub was born, I started biting again. Totally weird. Being pregnant 24/7 isn't really a solution though.....lol

antz - your post is SOOOO interesting to me. It makes me wonder if the anxiety you bear belongs more in your family system than just with you. And for some reason, when you were pregnant, that shifted somewhat. (I think family anxiety is the culprit for all of us, btw, but this seems like such an obvious example.) Would you say that the people in your family (husband,...but also maybe parents or your siblings) acted differently when you were pregnant than once the baby was born?

Also ...another thought I had about nail-biting: dudes....don't put your hands in your mouth ever! Hand-washing for 15 seconds is a good idea, but if you're putting your nails right in your mouth you'd have to scrub with anti-bacterial brushes like the surgeons do, and for 1 minute.

(I think I'll add this thought to the list of Qs for Alvin...he's not here right now lol...)
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

i use tweezers to peel my cuticles - wicked bad habit but i can't stop. as far as biting my nails, i bit them until november 13th of this last year - my boyfriend broke up with me & for some reason, that day, i just stopped & i haven't gone back. however, we got back together

~ bethany

\"what\'s meant to be will always find a way\"

::there is no way to peace
    eace is the way::

Interesting to hear all your comments.

Well, my son v*ing has done it for me. I am so scared of catching something from my fingers or under my nails that I don't do itany more.

Karen
    There is no distance on this earth as far away as yesterday