Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi!

This might be a stupid question but how do you use fresh ginger for nausea? I've never tried it. Do you just chew on it or do you swallow it? I don't know what it tastes like but I think it has a pretty strong taste. I also don't know how to peel it cause the peel looks pretty hard. Don't know if a peeling knife will do it but I guess I'll find out.

So if anyone can tell me if you chew it or swallow it too it would be nice. Also can you take too much of it and have adverse effects? My friend asked a pharmacist something about motion sickness pills and he was told that if you take too much of them it will make you throw up instead of keeping you from doing it. But I don't guess there could be a similar effect with ginger because I don't THINK it affects the vomit centre in the brain (but I might be wrong).

Also if anybody's tried ginger I'd like to know if it helped. I'm gonna try it for nausea from Valium withdrawals.

Tiina

It's much better to make tea out of it. And yes, you have to peel that hard peel off. Then slice it or chop it and cover it with boiling water. Get the tea the strength you like. You can even add sugar and milk (I do). Sip the tea, and feel the lovely effects on your stomach.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

great idea!! I might just go and get some ginger now!! (quick question - can/does it go off?)
    <font face=\"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Reach for the moon - even if you miss you\'ll be amongst the stars...</font>

Wow! I just tried some and it's pretty damn strong. Too strong to chew or eat. So I guess I'll try to make tea out of it. Just don't know how much of it to use.

I buy the ginger root capsules at Walmart...and i think it's like 500 mg's...they work very well for an upset stomach/nausea.....and they are cheap too. I 've never tried the fresh with making tea or anything...might give that a try too.
    Kate

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

use a regular metal teaspoon to peel ginger. a friend of mine is phillipino and uses a lot of it and that's how she peels hers [img]smileys/smilies_13.gif[/img]

fresh ginger is strong, but that just means you don't need as much - tea probably is your best option, or chewing candied ginger works good too.

&amp; yes, it can go bad - it takes a long time though, he older the root, the dryer it looks &amp; the stronger it gets. keep an eye out for mushiness or mold

~ bethany

\"what\'s meant to be will always find a way\"

::there is no way to peace
    eace is the way::

I peel my ginger with a spoon. It's much easier (and safer!!)
    than trying to use a knife!! I don't use fresh ginger for nausea
    though (just for cooking)-- I generally suck on Gingins hard candies
    (www.gingerpeople.com). They're strong and real ginger, but also
    some sugar to make them palatable, AND they are individually wrapped so
    they're easy to stick a few in your pocket or bag! You can order
    them online, or buy them at health food stores. They make a TON
    of ginger stuff. Their other chewy candies are good too, but I
    don't think they're as good for nausea (texture). Crystalized ginger
    works well too, but I'd get "bakers chips" of it since they're
    small. I don't think I could eat an entire chunk of crystalized
    ginger!!

Try adding some sugar to your ginger tea -- takes some of the bite out of it!

Kate can you open the capsules and mix the contents with a liquid or something? I can't swallow big things (anything but tiny pills are too big for me). Also can you tell me the exact name/brand name of the capsules?

I don't live in the States but I have someone there that can buy some ginger stufffor me and send it to me. I've seen ginger capsules here but on the packages it always says it's for your joints and muscles, not nausea. I think there's usually other stuff in the capsules too though. And I think they're quite expensive.

Wargerbil thanks for the tips! I'm gonna go check out that website.

Tiina

Just cut up a couple of little pieces of ginger to make the tea. If it's too strong or too weak then use more or less, or steep the tea for longer.

Ginger keeps a long time in the fridge, but eventually it will get sort of soft or even mouldy. But even if you ate it tha way it wouldn't hurt you.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Yeah, my mum grates the ginger very finely and then strains the tea after brewing.

Also peppermint tea can be quite good for tummy problems.