Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm curious about whether the people on here who have donated blood or do so regularly. It seems like it could be a frightening emet situation, but then again, maybe not.

I donated yesterday for the first time. It didn't exactly go as I had planned.

Wondering about others' experiences.

I used to give blood. I have a fear of blood, but nowhere as bad as my fear of v*. I was always o.k. whilst actually donating as long as I did not look. The worst thing for me was when I had to lie on the little recovery beds for 10 minutes and I had people on both sides very close. I was always so scared someone next to me would v*. They never did, but I passed out once as the man next to me for some reason removed his plaster from his arm and there was blood going everywhere. It was very embarrassing when I came round but I still went back the next time.

I hope your experience was not too bad.

I wouldn't be scared to do it, as I am not afraid of needles or anything like that, but one time I saw a girl faint from it and it was weird...that freaked me out enough to not do it.

What happened to you Japa?
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

I do want to share, but I don't want to scare people about giving blood. I think that it is just something that I am sensitive to, so I doubt that my experience is representative.

I was fine while I gave the blood, and I was fine afterwards while I ate the snack and drank the juice for about 15 minutes.

A BIT GRAPHIC:

Then, I drove to my school. I was going to read there. The drive took about 15 minutes, and just when I was about to get out of my car, I got very, very dizzy to the point where I thought I would pass out. Along with the dizziness was the severe nausea. I had to lean over and hold my head in my hands, and I couldn't move at all. This lasted at least about 5 minutes, and I was the closest I've been to vomiting in about 29 years.

When the severe dizziness and nausea passed, then I was still too weak to get out of my car and walk, so I had to lie there in the car for another5-10 minutes. Then, I had to call people on the phone to come and help me make it to the building in the department where I go to school. I had to lie on the couch there for a while, and I was basically weak all day.

My sister says she gets dizzy from donating too. Maybe I just don't tolerate it well. It was a pretty rough experience though.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. It must have been very scarey for you.My sister got dizzy and n* after donating blood. She no longer gives blood because of this. I suppose everybody is different and we all react in different ways.

I'm kind of scared to donate blood for that reason. Of course I just tell people I don't weigh enough to donate because I don't but when I do, I don't know if I'll be able to even if I want to. Sorry about what happened Japa.
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

I've never given blood - the last time I went to try I didn't pass the having-enough-iron test. Now I am too underweight. But I've always loved getting blood tests done! Although I realize it's a lot more blood when you donate, hehe. Someday if I gain enough weight, maybe I will try. I'm sorry it was such a tough experience for you Japa

I have given blood in the past. I didn't have a good experience because I'm not really a good candidate overall to be giving blood in the first place! I apparently have blood pressure issues when donating... hehe... umm... yeah - talk about freaky? I was also under a lot of emotional stress the time I donated, which I know played a role in what happened after I gave blood.

I wish my health was strong enough to give blood regularly. I am O+ and I know that blood type can be readily used. My eating disorder makes it impossible to healthfully give blood anymore and I would honestly love to attempt to give blood again once my health stablizes.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I actually really want to, they have blood drives at my high school and everything, but as I'm not eighteen yet I can't donate. (it's generally for the seniors). But I will as soon as I can!

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Ah...so sorry you got dizzy and frightened, Japa. But don't worry about your story scaring anyone cuz you didn't actually vomit, even though you felt horrible. Some people do experience shock afterward, one way or another. Sounds like that was you, and you needed to lie there for longer or something.

I went into shock when I tried to give blood years ago...probably my anxiety. Now I'm not afraid but they don't want my blood cuz I've had cancer.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

In my high school, we can donate at 16 with parents consent but I'm not110+.
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

he, he, thanks everyone for replying.

I didn't feel nervous about giving the blood or during any of the process. I will turn my head away from the needle because I've never liked watching my arm get stuck.

I just got a delayed reaction, and I think that it's true that I should have lain down while at the donation place. At that place, they didn't have people lie down after the donation for 10 minutues like curlywurly mentioned. You just went and sat at the table and ate the snack from the fridge.

If I go again, I am going to request that I be able to lie somewhere for a bit.

Wow japa that is why I am afraid to give blood. I have RH neg blood apparently rare (I dont know) when pregnant with my sons I had to have a needle something about the anti-bodies. I was told I should give blood but I am too scared to do so.
    Sorry about your experience japa.
    I had cancer to , maybe I shouldn't give.

I've given blood on and off for 25 years - I have no fears about blood or needles! My only worry is that someone might v* while I'm lying there unable to run, but that's never happened.

I've read that only 5% of the population (of the UK that is) gives blood which isn't a lot, is it? I always wanted to do it anyway, but over the years I've had a lot out of the NHS, so it seems only fair to give something back!!

I'm also on a bone marrow register - anyone got any tales about that?

I want to but can't until I am off my meds...
    <font face=\"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Reach for the moon - even if you miss you\'ll be amongst the stars...</font>

I GIVE BLOOD! Its a great thing to do, it makes you feel good on the inside
    (billy)

I can't donate blood in the US: I lived in Germany from 1980-1983!! And my blood type is O- the universal donor!
    <H3>You may NOT donate blood if:</H3>
    <UL>
    <LI>you spent 3 or more months cumulatively in the United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, Gibraltar or the Falkland Islands) from 1980 through 1996.
    <LI>you spent 5 years or more cumulatively in Europe (including the United Kingdom from 1980 through 1996) from 1980 to the present.
    <LI>you received a blood transfusion in the United Kingdom since 1980.
    <LI>you were a member of the U.S. military from 1980 through 1996, a civilian military employee, or a dependent of a member of the U.S. military and spent 6 months or more at a U.S. military base in any of the following countries: </LI>[/list]
    <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

From 1980 to 1990:</BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE>
    <UL>
    <LI>Belgium
    <LI>the Netherlands
    <LI>Germany </LI>[/list]

</BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE>

ah...that's cuz of hoof&amp;mouth, right? I remember something like that.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I give on and off- I get really dizzy and lightheaded afterwards, but never to the point of vomitting and the feeling will wear off in about 5-10 minutes. I have low blood pressure, so it's kinda like what happens if I stand up too quickly.

My problem is that everytime you get pierced or tattoed you have to wait a year before you can donate again, which often excludes me.

Sorry you have a bad experience with it Japa! I guess some people's systems are more sensitive than others. I really hope that no one gets discouraged though, because it is soooo needed.

*amber*

I've only given blood once and it went fine. I was pretty dizzy afterwards. I think on the day you give you are supposed to have eaten a good breakfast and then eat a good meal afterwards. That may have been your problem. I know that it was for me.

sage ~ can you give blood if you've had hoof and mouth? cause i got it when I was little...that would suck to not be able to donate [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by donna1216

I can't donate blood in the US: I lived in Germany from 1980-1983!! And my blood type is O- the universal donor!
    <UL>
    <LI>you spent 3 or more months cumulatively in the United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, Gibraltar or the Falkland Islands) from 1980 through 1996.
    <LI>you spent 5 years or more cumulatively in Europe (including the United Kingdom from 1980 through 1996) from 1980 to the present.
    <LI>you were a member of the U.S. military from 1980 through 1996, a civilian military employee, or a dependent of a member of the U.S. military and spent 6 months or more at a U.S. military base in any of the following countries: </LI>[/list]

<BLOCKQUOTE>
    <UL>
    <LI>Belgium
    <LI>the Netherlands
    <LI>Germany </LI>[/list]

Do you know why this is the case? What made international travel and the connection with blood so strong during those years? Just curious if anyone knows...
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

Wasn't it something to do with mad cow disease?

I donate very regularly. I've never felt anything but fine throughout and after the whole thing. Less than 4% of Canadians donate, and I think that is pretty sad.

The only thing I fear about it is that someone else might feel dizzy enough to v* but it's never happened. The last time I went there was a girl who felt dizzy, and she was laying down and she was SO pale and of course I was watching her to see if she was okay. The nurse noticed her arm was bleeding pretty badly and I think the blood freaked her out because for a moment or two she went even paler, and started swallowing really hard like she was trying not to v*. My heart raced for a moment, but she was fine and I relaxed easy enough once she got up and left. That's the first time that's happened though.

\"Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday, and all is well.\"

well, I cant give blood bc i dont weigh enough.. I can see a lot of ppl get dizzy and that would probably make me ill.. So I probably wouldnt if i could bc i am too scared.. So, just do something else to help people.. thats what i do =)..

I can't donate either...I don't weigh enough. I tried one time, they asked me how much I weighed and they told me they couldn't do unless you weighed over like 112lbs, which I don't!

i was always afraid to, not afraid of needles, i just hated the idea, but i did it this past october at school and passed out [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]they gave me orange juice 5 minutes before i did it, and as soon as they finished i got very faint and passed out. then they gave me more juice and a cookie, but i felt sick for the rest of the day and i still get queasy wheni think about it. i'd like to be able to help in that way, but apparently i can't :\
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

I'm actually glad this topic came up, because over the past few days I have been debating about whether I shoulddonate or not! I haven't had a needle stuck in me since I was about 6, and I'm not sure how my iron levels are, but I would LOVE to give it a go. I'd feel so good about myself afterwards for being brave, and knowing I was helping them out.

Someone mentioned that only 5% of the population in the UK donate blood? I think I heard it was about 3% here in Australia, so both are very low =(
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

Quote Originally Posted by donna1216

<UL>

<BLOCKQUOTE>
    <UL>
    <LI>Belgium
    <LI>the Netherlands
    <LI>Germany </LI>[/list]

I looked on the Red Cross website, and it's because of Madcow Diesease in case anyone wanted to know.

i have a rare blood type (a-b positve) &amp; a whopping vein on my right arm so i donate pretty frequently. i should be doing platlets soon too. i have never had a bad experience donating, needles &amp; blood don't bother me. i just don't watch when they put it in &amp; i make sure i've eaten something before i donate.

sometimes i feel a little lightheaded but i've already donated over a gallon &amp; i've also yet to see someone get n* from it.

i'm sorry you had a sucky experience, japa, but i'm willing to be it would be one that would not be repeated if you were to donate again. if you do go back, just stay at the canteen a little longer just to be sure you're feeling okay.

~ bethany

\"what\'s meant to be will always find a way\"

::there is no way to peace
    eace is the way::