Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

So, I'm on my way to my first therapy session, and my husband insists on coming with, because he has been really worried about me, wants to know what the therapist has to say, etc. But he's not feeling too well. Says it is stress. Oh, did I mention he drank 14 beers last night to blot out his feelings? Ahem. Anyway, he's got the car window open for the fresh air, and is talking about how awful he feels, and I'm like, great, we're late, and I have to deal with this. Then he tells me to pull over, and gets s* on the side of the road. Ugh.
    I must say, I think I handled it well. I just sat there and had my own private panic attack, but kept it to myself, because he doesn't know about my emet. Also, I think he was sick because of the drinking, so probably not contagious. But the emet in me is still freaking out. He has been having d* for the last few days, but insists it's stress(which happens to him a lot), and since he doesn't know about my emet, he wouldn't be lying to protect me. My logical mind tells me it's probably not a sv, probably just his drinking, but can anyone reassure me anyway?
    P.S. I gave Sage's handout to my therapist, and she didn't laugh at me like I was afraid of. I don't think she's familiar with emet, but she said she has treated some other phobias/panic disorders before. She was really impressed with the handout. Right on Sage! I'm still not sure if this is going to be a good working relationship, but only time will tell.

Hey daff!

Glad the therapist found it useful, and it helped you break the ice. That's totally what it's there for. I hope you can give it to your husband as well?

So sorry you went through that car ride. You're brave. Catch it or not, I would have freaked right out of my mind 4 years ago. I woulda jumped out of the car and run down the road screaming and refused to get back in.

Now look where I am, eh? It will be better for you soon too.

Take care.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I so don't think that your husband has got an sv. If he did, there is no way that he would have been able to drink 14 beers....lol.

It would have been awful to have to pull over so he could be sick. I had many a trips exactly the same when I was younger for my drunken friend who didn't know her limits. It's nice when your husbands are supportive but they can be such a pain in the neck sometimes...lol.

Why haven't you told him about your emets?

Oh Man.....that would surely suck to have to go through...i would have died too....i remember doing that with my husband when he was in the military and he would drink too much and he would have to make me stop on the side of the road....oh i would be sooooooooooooo mad at him, and panicking at the same time......he does not know about my emet....so it was all the worse for me to hide the way i was feeling....good job on handling it though....hopefully it was not a sv though...i am sure you will be fine...........good luck with your therapy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kate

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"