Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: What is your gender?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • male

18 12.41%
  • female

126 86.90%
  • prefer not to answer/ other

1 0.69%

Thread: Gender

By "other", I don't mean monkey or anything --- I just know that there are some people who are cross-gendered and it is important to make sure that EVERYONE has a place to post.

I am really curious whether their are more males or females on this board. I know there is lots of talk of PMS... hehe... but I know there are males out there too.

Just curious what our numbers were [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

BTW - I'm female. I'm a purple female.Edited by: purpleteacher
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

lol- I wish I was purple, but here I am stuck with all this god-forsaken white-ness!

I think that likely the overwhelming majority of this board are female- but I don't think that it is necessarily indicative of females being more prone to this phobia than males. I think that we are socialized so that men feel more pressure to not admit weakness of any sort for fear that they are seen as somehow 'inferior'. I give kudos to all the men on this board because A) they put up with a whole lot of estrogen, and B) they are strong enough to admit that they are not perfect, or that they have a problem.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm female too. The males come and go a lot (of course the females do too but a lot of the males have...ack, you know what I mean right? ^^). I can list alot of them that have left the site.
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

I'm a female! But yeah I've seen some male memebers on this board, not very many but I know they exsist.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I'm a girl! I think it's cool when the guys come, you get another perspective [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

LOL "purple female" made me laugh!!!![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I want to be a blue female!!

Quote Originally Posted by wing
    I'm female too. The males come and go a lot (of course the females do too but a lot of the males have...ack, you know what I mean right? ^^). I can list alot of them that have left the site.

No, Wing, what do you mean?

Doug, part of online emet community since 1997
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

This fear is generally associated with females ( I'm one too btw[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]) I'm not sure why - it maybe that women are more susceptible to phobias...dunno
    <font face=\"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Reach for the moon - even if you miss you\'ll be amongst the stars...</font>

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1

Quote Originally Posted by wing

No, Wing, what do you mean?

Doug, part of online emet community since 1997

Sorry, I meant to say that there are many on this site but I've seen a lot of them leave and I meant to add that females do that too, but I don't mean all. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. =[ I worded it wrong. Sorry, sorry, sorry. &gt;&lt; I was just thinking of Stephan and Tom and Chris...and I didn't mean to say all. I was just referring to some because some people do come and go and sorry. I hope you aren't mad. =XEdited by: wing
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

Female here, although my mom gave me a boy's name that often causes confusion, lol.
    Proud to be a FIREFIGHTER\'S GIRLFRIEND!!

Female...but it is good to get the male persepective on emet and other things....i wish there were more on here really.
    Kate

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Perhaps like a lot of the other guys on here, I just like to kinda
    browse and read what everyone else is saying. I don't visit often
    enough to really keep on top of the threads either. I try to visit more
    often but you know how it is, sometimes it just doesn't happen. From my
    experience and from reading what the opposite sex has to say, it
    doesn't seem there are any major differences between the genders with
    this phobia. Not so far as I can tell anyway but I'll let ya know if
    anything comes to mind!

I'm not sure the male point of view is always respected in the emet community. There have been a lot of studies done about male and female communication styles, which has been done mostly on in-person communication, but the point made is that for women, communicating is social and for men it is information-gathering, problem-solving.Online groups dominated by women seem to be very chatty, with a lot of threads having nothing to do with the subject at hand, and many, many of the messages being along the lines of "You go, girl!" Groups dominated by men seem to be very terse, with not much off topic conversation, and not many threads with socializing in them. AJoe Friday-style "just the facts." You can go through Yahoo groups archives and find groups devoted to female-oriented topics being full of these kinds of messages and threads and groups devoted to male-oriented topics devoid of them.

There have always been many more women than men in the online emet world. There were times on other forums when I was the only man, or at least the only man posting regularly. There were even women who believed that only women could have emetophobia, and that I must be some kind of imposter. So I have not always felt entirely welcome in the online emet world, even in some forums which I myself created.

Part of this was due to my FAQs, which have always alienated some people, even as they help a much larger audience learn about emetophobia. The FAQs bring out the classic male-female divide in communication styles, with my questions and answers being off-putting to women who would rather *TALK* aboutthe problem than solve it.

The problem with other emet lists I have been on is that they became dominated by women who were only interested in COPING with the phobia. These lists gotto the point that any mention of CURING the phobia was controversial. It is to IES's credit that the group has managed to avoid this pitfall, probably by the threaded board nature of the grouup.

Even considering the differences between male and female communication styles, there is also the reality that many more women than men suffer from emetophobia. So it seems men will always be a minority in the online emet community, and they are likely to communicate in a way that the majority finds anathema.

DougEdited by: gumdro&#112;per1

Thanks for sharing that info, and your experiences as a male emet, Doug. I have never found the comments of male emets on these forums offensive. While it's true that males seem to be more to-the-point than a lot of females, this is not always the case. I appreciate when the males on the forum comment, and I wish they would do it more. They often offer a fresh perspective on things. BTW, thanks for all the good info you share, Doug. Your FAQ has been most helpful.

Doug- I completely agree with you. I have found myself that when you post something more matter-of-factly people will bristle, or claim that you are 'non-supportive'. I have even been told that I shouldn't post something that disagrees with someone else, and if they wanted tought love they would ask their husband. As a woman, this can be frustrating to me, so I can only imagine what it would be like for a man.

Glad you stuck around though- it's always great to get different perspectives, and I have always found that you can provide some interesting insights (not to mention the occasional comic relief!)

*amber*

i know that more women would be on here only because i believe they are more open with their feelings then men...
    &hearts;LIDIA&hearsts;

i wonder if its just because women are more open to admit to being emet?

i'm female (16 years old)

101 vs 12, very impressive ladies. Get in here guys!

Hello, I am new here. I am female. 22 years old[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Hey girls, im a strait guy: 19 years old, no one really knows about my phobia at all, nor would anyone really expect me to have one, but I've had it most of my life.I never really noticed it, but there are mosty female's on here. Awkward hahaEdited by: johnyricer

Hi there,
    I'm a guy and haven't told anyone about my phobia, i kinda told my mother once but she didn't seem to understand it.
    And yes, there's not a lots of others emetguys here.

Le Paroxysme de la Tranquilité.

Compulsory good manners.

I'm a girl, and I'm 15. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Sometimes I wish I could find a cute emet guy to date who would understand why I'm a total wreck half the time. But, alas, we're mostly girls.

I think you're a little young for me, but the concept of an emet personals ad is interesting. I think I drafted one a few years ago that went something like this:

SWM seeks SWF for fun and romance and disinfection. I like watching videos of foreign travel, watching amusement park rides from a block away, avoiding other people's children in public places, and staying off sidewalks near bars on weekends. Some of my favorite foods are ramen noodles, saltine crackers, boiled soup, and anything that goes with 7-Up. I'm posting here because I don't meet enough girls while shopping for Purell.

Doug

i totally agree with New.Slang. That would be awesome to find a guy that is Emet.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1

I think you're a little young for me, but the concept of an emet personals ad is interesting.* I think I drafted one a few years ago that went something like this:

SWM seeks SWF for fun and romance and disinfection.* I like watching videos of foreign travel, watching amusement park rides from a block away, avoiding other people's children in public places, and staying off sidewalks near bars on weekends.* Some of my favorite foods are ramen noodles, saltine crackers, boiled soup, and anything that goes with 7-Up.* I'm posting here because I don't meet enough girls while shopping for Purell.*

Doug
    Hi there!!!
    Your post was hilarious!!

I also agree with the others--it would be great to have my man know exactly how I feel. It would prevent alot of the arguments my husband and I have--I just love it when he tells me to "grow up" and "stop acting like a freak". Any guesses why we're getting divorced????