Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: having a baby

i am just wondering for all you mums out there, did having your children make your emet better. my support teacher at college said she had a similar fear but when she had children it went away because she had to deal with it on a day to day basis for about 2 years.

however she doesnt recommend that i have a baby now,

I wouldn't trade my children for anything in the world, but I would say
    that having them has made my emet. more of a challenge. I teach second
    grade, so that doesn't help, either. I am presented with worries about my
    own children and my children at school EVERYDAY and whether they will
    v*. I have had a few specific experiences with them and their illnesses
    that have been tough to handle. Now that they are older, I would say that
    it is a tiny bit better, but still an everyday looming worry.
    Julie

I think having my kids made it harder. I would not trade them for anything, but it has complicated things. My emet was not too bad when I had them, and has recently come back full force. I will say that when the kids are sick, you just deal with it, because you have no choice, but it is hard. I would recommend you get to a more confident place with your emet before thinking about having kids, because it can bring out a lot of fears you may not realize you had. Not to scare you or anything. Having kids is the best and most rewarding thing I have done. They are worth it 200%!!

My emet came back full force with my daughter. It is worse for me with a
    child. I worry all the time.

Yes, the emet is worse, but because I worry about them v* too as well as myself. And I have more exposure to it all as kids do throw up, not all the time, but they still do it. I have toadmit though that I am getting much better at coping when they v*, which is a little more positive.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't ever be without them!

i dont think i should have children yet, because i think i have far too much studying to do yet. also i think i would need to be in a secure fincial situation (and with no job thats not going to happen)

has anyone had kids that just rarely, if ever, v*? i knew someone a while back who said her baby just never did - not until they were 3 or 4 years old.

i'm petrified to have kids - i also don't have a lot of patience so i think that's a good reason not to as well. i can handle being pregnant, can handle spit up no problem. but once they hit toddler age? forget it. every keeps saying it's different with your own kids. but not everyone thinks the way we do about it, either.

~ bethany

\"what\'s meant to be will always find a way\"

::there is no way to peace
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    eace is the way::

I really think how much kids v* depends on if they are in any kind of child
    care or at home with mom. My daughter never v* until I put her in a 2
    day a week program. Since then she has caught 3 sv* each one v*
    multiple times. I know of mothers who keep their kids home with them
    all the time and they have never caught one. Kids will and do v* that is
    just part of growing up and their immune system. It's not fun, but it
    happens only rarely (maybe once or twice a year).

well my eldest will be 5 in november and is yet to vomit he goes to playgroup 4 days a week although he tends to get d* when there is a bug going about

lyndsayanne

I'm trying to think back...my kids by the time they were 3 made it to the bathroom and I didn't have to deal with them, really. They knew they'd just have to go throw up and tell me later. But I didn't fear catching it by the time I had kids, either...

I imagine the person who got "better" when she had kids had a very very mild form of the phobia, and just enough exposure as that made her better.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

yeah i think your right sage. i think my teacher only had a mild phobia. she was reading some material on exposior theraphy for my phobia, we decided it would be unethical to actually make me v*, but that is what we tought of as a kind exposior theraphy.

To answer sassenacch's question, my oldest (who is three now) didn't v* until a couple months before ther 3rd birthday. Then again (ugh) about a month later, but that was from medicine. She is at home with me, and still nurses a bit, which I think helps with the immunities. My baby who is one has a couple of times, since she outgrew the spitup phase, but I think it was just spitting up, and not actually being sick. I'm not sure. Nursing definetely helps them not get sick as much.

Well, I have to say, even though I know nobody would do this, having kids to try to cure a phobia IS NOT a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by honeybee
    yeah i think your right sage. i think my teacher only had a mild phobia. she was reading some material on exposior theraphy for my phobia, we decided it would be unethical to actually make me v*, but that is what we tought of as a kind exposior theraphy.

oh i totally agree with you, having kids isnt the answer to our problems, but if you are talking about exposing your self then having kids would be the solution to that, but i think you must be mentally prepared for that. i had posted this topic because i was wondering if it made peoples emet worse of better when they had children