Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was wondering if anyone could help me,i've had emet since i was 11 now ands its pretty much ruined my life but neway it seems my problems have got worse because i cant even leave the house now without having a panic attack and fearing i'l throw up i come back home,i have a gf who is pregnant aswell now and if im to be there 4 her and my child i'l need to get over this,my throat just tightens up and goes dry then i feel like couging and wanting to throw up its really bad,my safe place is the toilet where theres a sink and the water calms me down but if somebody goes into the toilet i panic and have to go outside to calm down,im sorry this is so long but i really need help and i wouldn't get much help if i just gave 20% of my problems away,can anybody help me please with advice or treatment,thank you all in advance who take the time to read my post/

Wayne [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Hi Wayne, I'm so sorry that your emet has limited you so much. The only advice that I can give you is to set small goals for yourself. Maybe you can start taking short walks, going a little farther each day to prove that you'll be fine. Then drive around the block and back home. You have to do things slowly or you'll push yourself too much. Maybe takea whole day where you will not let yourself go into the bathroom unlessyou have to go. Or force yourself to stay inside if someone goes in there.

Also, does your gf know about your emet? She could be a great help in your recovery if she fully understands what is going on.

You can overcome your limitations. It may take a long time to overcome the emet completely, but you can get to the point where it doesn't totally run your life.

We are here to help you.

Sorry you feel bad Wayne. I have panic attacks to. I have to drink lots of water to calm myself down. i hope you r feeling better.

we r here 4u.

Big hugs
    Fifi
    xxxxx

Well i had an idea in my head to set goals so i go so far each day but for some reason if its raining or if its dark il be fine,which makes me think that my fear is being seen vomiting and as when its dark and raining the visibility is very low,plus open fields n woods i dont feel sick at all.

About my gf yes she does know about it and understands alot,she will leave me alone if i feel sick and wont force me to go out or do anything i feel i cant,but it also upsets her that i may never change and just recently she pretends to bug me n force me to go out as a joke but i really think it isnt a joke to her and eventually she will get tired of it and leave,for some reason i get nervous around her and when she comes to see me,its really hard for me wot with the baby arriving in october and my job starting in june,i really need to get rid of this but its so hard.

Thanks for replying to my post aswell.

Wayne[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Hi Wayne,

Welcome to the site. If you go to the section called "Treatments" there are lots and LOTS of interesting tips, articles and scholarly stuff written about how to get help. Everything from a basic Info article I wrote (for you, your family, your doctor) to how to deal with panic attacks, etc.

It sounds like your anxiety level in general is sky-high. I would suggest you look into seeking medical treatment and taking some anti-anxiety medication. It takes about a month to work, but you will probably be able to do much more with your life such as go out, etc. once it kicks in. No emetophobe has ever been sick from taking this medication. However, many fear that they will and won't take it. I suggest it's better to get the dr. to prescribe tranquilizers for a time, and powerful anti-emetics so you have absolutely no fear of being sick from these drugs.

I'm a therapist not any sort of pill-pusher but if anyone was this debilitated from the phobia I would recommend medication to regain some stability.

Take care, and let me know if there's anything I could help with.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, I've had trouble with going outside because I especially fear vomiting in public too. Working in small steps will help. Maybe you can start out with just going out driving by yourself. That way you can pull over whever you need to and go at whatever pace you like, and no one will be around to see you.

Since you're having a baby maybe you can also work on things that will help you with that. Such as starting off with going into a children's clothing store or a toy store. And then maybe if you start getting comfortable with that you could perhaps take some sort of class on childcare that way you'll be a little bit more used to being around children and taking care of them by the time your little one arrives.

Another thing that helped me with my fear of vomiting in public is to think about that really nothing bad will happen (besides the vomiting of course). The worst thing that even an emet would do if they witnessed someone vomiting is run away crying, and, since I don't want people watching me vomit in the first place, that's fine by me.

Edited by: chicajojobe