Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

And I want to tell my parents. (But I hope they don't say that i'm just over-reacting.) How do I tell them? I want to get some help.

Sorry, I don't have any advice. I have been trying to explain to my husband how terrifying this phobia is. I also had surgery last week and tried explaining to my doctor, anesthesiologist, and nurses. They just look at you weird. I think my mom kind of understands. I also can't find a therapist that has either treated this or even heard of this. But I'm still looking! Good luck to you! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I think you just have to sit them down and be completely honest with them....i hope it works out for you. I know it will be hard, but you will feel better once they know what you are going through.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Oh gosh...some days I get so weary coming here saying the same things over and over to newbies. Hopefully there are some of you out there who read this and like ...pitch in sometimes whenever you see a question like this. A couple of you are really great and I'm so glad when I see you've pointed people to the info without me having to. I'm thinking...what if I get hit with a bus? [sorry but it's really frustrating to provide information to address this very question and other common ones, and for some reason newbies don't see it. I've asked John several times to put it on the home page under an "information" section, but I think that must be a lot of work or something cuz he never does.] But if everyone could point newbies to the info that's already available here, that would be great - thanks.

Anyway, here goes for the millionth time:

Hi joygurl!

Welcome to the site. You'll find a lot of help and support here as well as information about the phobia and treatments. How to talk to your family and how to find professional help are two sections of info here aswell. I would suggest in particular that you go to the top of this Treatments section and print off the article under the sticky post called "INFO TO GIVE YOUR DR. OR FAMILY". Read it through yourself, and then print it out and give it to them to read. Then let them ask questions or whatever. At least it's a starting place and you don't have to think up answers or feel like a fool - like you're the only one who feels this way.

I hope this helps!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

All I can say is when I told my parents they understood right away. Growing up I had ODD behavior when it came to throwing up. I would avoid my sisters like the plague when they were sick...I would run away scream and cry and have massive panic attacks. So telling them I have this phobia really cleared things up for them and now they don't think I'm THAT weird. If you have odd behaviors around people who are throwing up then your parents may have already noticed. If you hide it then it may be harder. But do what sage said and look at the info...it really helped me when I had to explain it to my family in greater detail.

Welcome to the site!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Where do I find the 'Treatments' section? I can't seem to find it...

*EDIT* I found it doh!Edited by: sneezymonkey

hey sneezy,

your experience of not being able to "find" the treatments section is quite common. even though you were IN the treatments section. maybe it would be helpful to me as moderator/info provider if you could tell me how you get from post to post without clicking on the various sections such as "treatments" "experiences", etc. I just thought if I could know how people got here without intentionally clicking "Treatments" then I could maybe figure out a way to get more people to see the info.

Thanks

(anyone else can chime in as well...)
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.