Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey all,

I am in the midst of pulling an all-nighter to revise my ethics proposal for my MA research. I will be interviewing men who have served time in prison for a sex offence about their experiences while incarcerated, so I basically need to outline exactly what I am doing, why, and how it's important.

Anyway, I am doing narrative research, which means that they will essentially be telling me the "story" of their incarceration, so it won't be like a traditional structured interview. To better understand how I am to analyze this data, I took out a few books on narrative analysis.Well, you would never guess what I came across in one of them.

For me, the one movie vomit scene that I really can't sit through is the blueberry pie thing in Stand By Me, which is otherwise one of my favourite movies. Well, a researcher basically chose to analyse the telling of THAT scene to show how characters are constructed, positioned, and made to appear.Usually I'm okay for reading vomit scenes in books, but the fact that it is describing this scene, which I already have a visual of, it just too much for me to handle at 5:38am. Geez, of all places, I would have thought that my boring old research methods books would be devoid of vomit! lol

****more below****

*********GRAPHIC************

********giving more space just in case**********

SO, this is what I came across in a chapter that is supposed to help me with my own data: I gave fair warning, but just in case anyone is curious....(or wanted some exposure therapy, lol)

"Slowly, a sound started to build in Lardass's stomach. A strange and scary sound like a log truck coming at you at a hundred miles an hour. Suddenly, Lardass opened his mouth. And before Bill TRavis knew it, he was covered with five pies worth of used blueberries. The women in the audience screamed. Boss man Bob Cormier took one look at Bill TRavis and barfed on Principal Wiggins. Principal Wiggins barfed on the lumberjack that was sitting next to him. Mayor Grundy barfed on his wife's tits. But when the smell his the crowd, that's when lardasses plan really started to work. Girlfriends barfed on boyfriends.Kids barfed on their parents. A fat lady barfed in her purse.The Donnelly twins barfed on each other. And the women's auxillary barfed all over the benevolent order of antelopes. And Lardass just sat back and enjoyed what he created. A complete and total barf-o-rama."

EWWWWWWWWW....nothing else can really describe this.

And the analysis: "The rest of the narrative resembles a listing of the same kinds of events performed by a number of different characters on other characters, whereby it is relevant that the chain reaction originated in and through Davie's action; he barfed first and so caused this chain of reactions. The extent and level of detail in which Gordie paints these events displays very nicely what Mechling (1980, 50) calls "a preoccupation with the disgusting" that runs though campfire texts, particularly in the age bracket of young teenagers."

"Positioning with Davie Hogan; Stories, Tellings, and Identities" (Michael Bamberg)

So....essentially that is the sociological examination of the narrative of one of the nastiest film moments in the history of mankind (according to my admittedly biased view!)

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh lord, I remember that movie and that scene....it freaked me out so bad...but now that i think about it again, i could probably watch it now. I don't know why, but i think i can.....it would still be gross i am sure, but i think i could watch it...i had no problem reading what you wrote at all...but in movies it just seems diff to me.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Yeah, that movie used to scare me, and I would leave during that scene. But, once I decided to watch it and it didn't really bother me at all, mostly because it looks sooo fake! Reading the passage didn't bother me either! Then again, most things that bother me don't bother you so much, Amber, so we all have different tolerances! Sorry you had to deal with that, and at such an ungodly hour!

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I seem to remember the v* scene in the book being FAR more explicit than that!

*Graphic*

Steven King described each v* incident in great detail: content of v*, sounds, smell and even volume! People being v*d on, people sliding on "it", more v* than I have ever come across in a book!

I love the movie, but I have never seen that scene. I don't want to be in the room when it's on!

Yeah, that scene is disgusting, that and the one in the Sandlot where all the kids are on the roller coaster is pretty freakin' disgusting too.
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip