Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Damnit. I went through much of the past six months not hearing anything that bothered me too much about sickness in my area. Then... Over the weekend I started noticing puddles of 'it' around. Even a friend of mine (who lives a couple hundred miles away) saw some puddles herself. Well, tonite my friend was hosting a candle party and I decided to be brave and eat the food that was prepared. Well, as soon as I finished eating (yes, with my hands... tortilla chips that other people put their hands in.. ) this woman started talking about how her daughter vomited two times this morning, so she better get home and check on her. Ugh.. Then everyone else joined in with the usual.. 'oh, she only vomite twice? last week when I had it I was vomiting constantly for four days', then you hear a 'oh, you guys talking about that bug that's going around?'. UGH! And, the woman sent her child to school today. God, this sucks. Needless to say, I left the party as fast as I could. My friend called me a few minutes ago and apologized. What is wrong with people?

So, I learned something about me from this. I don't like hearing about this stuff when I am caught off guard. If I ask the questions of people I don't mind talking about it. ( I almost have to ) But, when they just catch me off guard and start discussing it, it's much harder for me to handle the anxiety. Edited by: shiva
    \"This too shall pass\"

So that being said.. I am wondering3 things.

1) Anyone from Ohio? Have you heard of lots of sickness in Ohio lately?

2) How can I keep from thinking 'What if?'

3) Why am I fine with talking about it if it is my idea, but not if it's someone elses?
    \"This too shall pass\"

I am going to Columbus on Sat. Pls don't tell me the sv* is in Columbus.
    My grandmother is dying and I am going to see her in her nursing home.
    Why did I read this post? Pls say you are not in Columbus. Where are
    you?

Ok.....let me take a crack at these [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

1) Not from Ohio- but I'm pretty confident that in every area in North America year round, if you mention someone being sick, someone else will say "Oh yeah, I've heard of that going around". It's pretty much a constant- but it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone that you or your friends hear have been sick are necessarily sick with a stomach virus. Especially when it comes to younger children- their systems are more delicate, and certain types of food are more likely to disagree with them, or cause discomfort. Just because you hear people mention that it's going around, doesn't mean that it is at alla higher frequency that it was before, or that you are more likely to catch something

Also, the puddles of vomit around....I've noticed it more here as well, but the weather is also starting to get warmer, which around here means bar patios are open, people are starting to have more houseparties, etc. In the winter, if you have been drinking, you will stay inside, or spend little time going from place to place. Now that it's nicer out, people are outside more, lingering, and taking advantage of outdoor patios (which, I know for myself, if its nice out, I will likely drink more than normal if I'm on a patio somewhere and the game is on). That, and I know for my area of the world, hockey playoffs indeed increase the consumption of alcohol

2) Well, how about concentrating on how long you have gone without being sick- why would this year be any difference? Would hearing about "something" that is going around automatically mean that you are going to catch it, especially since you don't necessarily know that the "it" they speak of is contagious? Also, you know how these things transmit- and you also know that you have good hygiene, and take many precautions that others don't. This seriously cuts down on your odds of catching anything.

3) Could it be a control issue? If you mention it, or initiate the conversation, it is on YOUR grounds, and you essentially set the parameters of the discussion- and also when this conversation will take place. If someone else mentions something, or starts the convo, they usually direct it to theareas that they want discuss, and in a manner that they want it discussed. Also, they can start this topic when you are not prepared for it, or at times when it is not comfortable for you.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shiva,

I'm from Euclid, OH and have not heard of "it" in my area. I know that we are in close proximity to one another. Try not to panic. Two guys I work with BOTH had it within days of one another and NO ONE else here got it.

I know it's hard to hear about (see, think about, ponder) but you will be ok. Think positive thoughts. Think about being in a place that you find calming, sing a lighthearted song, go buy yourself something new (that one always makes me feel better).

I wish I could help but know (from experience) that the only thing that helps is time.

I'll talk with you soon.

I'm in Pennsylvania and 'it' has started dying down for about a week and a half. I haven't heard of people saying their sick but at work on Sunday this women almost passed out and said she was having terrible pelvic pain. There happened to be an RN there and I commented, "Maybe its the s/v, but I haven't heard much of it lately." She replied, "Oh yeah, its still going around quite bad." She clims she has seen a lot of it in the clinic she works at. I hate when people do that. Just because maybe 1 or 2 people might be sick they think its some pandemic. Killed my mood instantly.
    Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus.- Colossians 3:17

Thanks so much everyone. You all had some very good points that were all well taken. I think my problem is that I am in the middle of planning a wedding, working 60 hours a week and finals for school. When I have outside stress, in one way it is good because it keeps my mind off of the 'what ifs' for no reason. On the other hand, once something is brought to my attention and all of my energy is having to go toward life, I cannot afford any to calm myself down from my phobia. Does that make sense? It's like, there isn't enough of myself to go around and take care of the stress from all aspects.

Crim, I am a control freak, so I think you hit the nail on the head with me not being able to hear people talk about sickness when I haven't asked them. Another problem might be that when I hear someone has been sick I have a series of questions I ask that (in my head) help me better access the situation. When it is a stranger I know better than to drill them, so my brain is left all pissed off and wanting to fill in the blanks. (i figured that one out in the shower this morning).

Nonetheless, I did break and ask my daughter if anyone has been absent (something that I have made myself NOT DO all year..) I felt pretty s***ty about that, but I am trying to move on and just not ask again.

I really wanted to fix myself from this before I got married. I can't really explain why, but it was important for me to have this under much better control by now. I guess one reason is that he wants a child and I am aprehensive to do that again since I know the worry is astronomical and it's taking it's toll on me. The other is that I wanted to know that I wasn't getting married just to have someone take care of me. (if that makes any sense) I mean, I know I love him, but I also know that I am terrified to spend one freaking night alone incase my daughter or I get sick in the middle of the night. I wanted to be more self sufficient before a second marriage, just so that there was no doubt in my mind that I am capable of handling life on my own. I have never really been on my own, so.....

Sorry for rambing. A lot has been on my mind lately.

I can say that although I realize that sv's are spread much through people handling other people's food and what have you, I did agree to having Chipotle for lunch with my fiance today, and didn't worry much about it. I guess that must mean I am making some progress. I just wish it would all go away and I would be fixed.
    \"This too shall pass\"

don't worry about rambling...that's why we're here.

also...who sends their child to school if they v* twice? that seems awfully mean...

~ bethany

\"what\'s meant to be will always find a way\"

::there is no way to peace
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    eace is the way::

I thought it seemed crappy, too. She just said " I always let her decide... She's the only one who knows how she is feeling."

Emet issues aside, the kid should rest. She's like 7.
    \"This too shall pass\"

oh my gosh, the poor kiddo!

seriously - i don't think at 7, the kid can truly tell if she feels alright enough to last an entire day. heck, not many people can at our age.

~ bethany

\"what\'s meant to be will always find a way\"

::there is no way to peace
    eace is the way::

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!!! You have alot to look forward to. Try not to worry about things that are not in your control. It's really a waste of time and energy (I know easier said than done).

You know the drill, good hygine and try not to ask questions you don't really want the answers to.

PS: I love Chipolte!!!!