Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Ever since my surgery (and a month or two before it) I have had increased stress. I used to be driving along and start feeling like I was going to throw up, which I know was just my nerves. Now when I'm driving, I feel like I can't breathe! I have had trouble with allergies, but I think this is probably my nerves and causing me to hyperventilate. It's very scary. Anyone else have a problem with this?

Yes definitely, after I had pneumonia, my chest would tighten and I felt as if I couldn't take a deep breath. When I was tested, there were no problems at all, and it was just nerves. Does it only happen when you're driving? If so, it is almost certainly anxiety related. Breathe into a paper bag if you're feeling breathless (not easy when driving I guess!), or try taking short trips to build up some confidence that this is just an anxiety issue.

I used to feel that way w/ anxiety too. And actually I can get a little car phobic too, if I have a panic attack while driving I get a little gun shy.

On the possitive side you know it is anxiety. (though vacuuming out the car and spraying some of that febreeze allergy reducer stuff might help if allergies are a possibility plus it will help you rationalize that it is only anxiety as you have allergy proofed your car). Does it happen only when you are alone or the driver?

I think the important thing (well what I have to do for me anyhow) is to keep driving, keep fighting and show the anxiety who is boss. Maybe just sit in your car, in the driveway, for a few minutes at a time and not go anywhere, then build up to just around the block. (obviously you will have to drive for real other times but I mean as "practice) then you can show yourself flat out its anxiety and hopefully this will make it go away (at least gradually).

Hope this helps!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

It is mainly happening in the car, or at least that is where my first "bad" attack was. So that is why I am associating it with driving now. I hyperventilate so much that I get dizzy. I almost had to pull over yesterday, but I just kept going. Today I am going to take Ativan before I leave the house and see if that helps. I'm also going to see my doctor just to make sure it is only anxiety.

I know that after my mom had surgery, she had some changes with her
    body, and the doctor told her that it could be residual effects of the
    anthesetic (sp?). She just had major surgery and they told her it could be
    up to 12 months until she was completely back to normal. I doubt that
    yours would take that long, but it could affect your anxiety and make you
    a little edgier than normal!
    Julie