Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have been prescribed zoloft for my depression and anxiety that builds from discouragement on not ridding myself of the emet. I'm petrified to take it. I have read so many articles about the possible side effects such as suicide or commiting violent acts like killing your own family members and then yourself. There have been many cases documented by families of patients who used prozac and paxil maily and a few on zoloft. Who has tried it? how long? how much? and what were your side effects? how effective was it for you for your issues? I'm too scared to try it and have change my personality to an aggressive one or make my depression worse cuz I tried paxil for a week and I'll never forget how it worsened my depression one weekend after only a week, and it was the worst depression ever. It scared me. I was wanting to die only thank goodness I didn't have the guts to do anything about it but still it scared me. It felt like I'd never get out of that dark pit. Does anyone out there understand? What can you tell me about your experience with zoloft? Any nausea or v*? did it go away? Please help me before I try it. I have the tablets available.

pumpkin

I have been on Zoloft twice, and it did help me. I was a lot more relaxed on it. I am actually going back on, probably tonight or tomorrow. I got a new prescription for it from my doc. I went off it last December, because I felt fine, and hate taking medication, and thought I didn't need it any more. I was wrong. It makes me feel a little spacey and druggy for the first week or so, and I have very little appetite while adjusting to it, but no n* or v*. Maybe a tad queasy.
    Before I was on 75 mg, but have taken as much as 100mg.
    I hope you told your doc about the reaction to paxil, so they know what to watch for with other drugs. As for the aggression, I was anything but aggressive on zoloft. If anything, it made me a little bit 'flat affect.' Every drug is different for every person, though. Hope this one works for you.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Thanks Daffodil. Did you take it with or w/o food? at night or in the morning? I was told to take 25 mg and since I can't swallow pills I thought of even taking half of that to slowly introduce it to my body and then after a week or two increase it to 25 like my doc said to avoid serious side effects or at least see how I'm gonna react. I won't expect it to do wonders for me if I take half the dose but my main concern is side effects. I've got plenty of time for it to kick in and start to work even if it takes months to see the results I would have seen in one had I taken stronger doses. I'm just so afraid. How many mg did you start off with? How did you wean it off? How long was that process?

Thanks

Pumpkin

Dancingpumpkin, I took mine at night, as it was easier for me to remember at that time. Once I was used to it I could take it without food with no problems. I started at 25 mg the first time, then a week later went to 50 mg, then a couple weeks later, to 75.
    The second time, they started me at 50 mg, which I think made the adjustment harder. I weaned myself off, without doctor's advice, which I shouldn't have done. I went down to 50mg, and started taking it every other day for a week or so (I notoriously forgot to take the pills anyway) and then went off altogether. I had some mood swings, and some lightheadedness going off, which probably wouldn't have been as bad if I had gone off slower.
    Taking half the pill shouldn't be a problem, if it helps you feel better about it, as long as your doc says it's cool. If you have trouble swallowing the pills, try taking them with something fizzy. This helped me when I was learning to swallow pills. You don't feel it in your throat as much as you are swallowing it.

I've been on Zoloft since I was 12 years old. Now when I was 12 I really didn't care about ME Vomiting so if I did get nauseous I probably didn't equate it to the Zoloft, besides I used to get nauseous ALL THE TIME when I lived with my parents. ANYWHO...I was on 100mgs for the longest time, then 200mgs, then 100, and then recently it was upped back to 200mgs. For the first few days I noticed that I was just a TINY bit Nauseous but nothing overpowering. And seeing that you are only on 25mgs I wouldn't worry a thing about nausea. I'm taking almost 8 times the amount that you are taking (No I'm not a psycho I'm just severly bipolar) Anyway I take mine at night and I always try to take it with food...but I have taken it without food and it hasn't done anything to me. You should be fine with it. PM me if you have any more questions.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

thanks Monica. Hey, it's me, Jessica. I finally got a new name here too. I have more quest about your experience with zoloft. I will private message you

Jess