Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been around lately. I have been so busy! Anyway, can any sane person here please reassure my emet brain that an innocent little multi-vitamin will not make me v* my guts out and die painfully?

I haven't taken a vitamin since I had those chewable kids things when I was 4 or 5- LOL.

The only reason why I am concerned is that when I was 7, the last time I v*ed, it was caused by taking a Zinc Cold-Eeze tablet. My father said at the time that the zinc caused it but he clarified today that he meant the TASTE of the zinc caused it, not the actual mineral. I think what happened was that I gagged because it tasted like a cherry flavored tin can.

I am just super worried that I would have some reaction to the vitamin and it would make me really s*. I know I can't take them on an empty stomach and that really scares me.

Can anyone recommend a brand sold in the US that wouldn't be damaging or upsetting to your stomach? I also can't swallow pills so they would have to be chewable.

I really need to start taking them. I don't eat vegetables or nutritious food and I am trying to lose weight. My mother insists that taking vitamins really helped her body get rid of the excess fat. Also, I think I am anemic. My body seems really starved for nutrients.

~~~Carolyn~~~

I suggest you start with a happy little kids vitamin...something shaped like sponge-bob or something. They won't help your immune system much, what with all the sugar and additives, but you should be able to tolerate them just fine.

I take a chewable multi-vitamin for adults because I swallow a bunch of other vitamins. The only thing you should stay away from is something with extra iron or something with a lot of B-complex. These can take a little getting used to. Of course, I've never heard of anyone in the whole wide world vomiting from a vitamin, no matter what it is.

The other thing you could try if you have a bad diet is canned "Boost" or "Ensure" supplement. This is not only full of all the vitamins you need, but it is so highly digestible they give it to people in comas, etc. They call it "pre-digested food". It's awesome stuff. YOu can live on this alone for like 10 years. It comes in 3 flavours. Not as yummy as a DQ shake for sure, but it will never make you sick.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ALso, they make liquid vitamin supplements for adults, as well as children. About the zinc, I have heard of zinc supplements being upsetting to the stomach if you take it without food. Whatever vitamin you take, have it with a meal, and you will be fine. Your body will thank you. Now, I just need to go and take my own advice.

Think of it this way:

If anything, a daily vitamin will boost your immune systemwhich helps prevent stomach illnesses.

I take Walgreens brand multi vitamin everyday for years now. They aren't huge horsepills and are really easy to swallow. They make them w/ or w/o iron (I take w/ but like sage said if you wanna stay away fromt hat its fine ... truly tho the vitamin is OK).

As far as it making you sick, the vitamins are what we are supposed to take in thru food so unless you take more than the recommended dosage or have an allergy to a particular vitamin(which if you did you'd know by now) there isn't a reason to be sick from it.

I know its hard but try to remember it was the taste that made you sick ... when you were a little kid no less. You could probably take the exact same one now and not get sick off of it as you are older (tho I wouldn't try it again, cherry tin can doesn't sound tasty lol).

Oh, another thing, take the vitamin after a meal (even a small one like a cereal bar which is what I personally have) and the pkg says w/ a full glass of water which I never do but you might want to just to keep your mind at ease. Good luck, you will do fine!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

You're right, SimplyMe, and plus, I was really sick at the time that I took that medicine. I already had a horrible cold or the flu so I probably would have been prone to gagging anyway. Thanks for all your suggestions everyone! I think I will go buy a bottle soon. I may take Iron, though, because I think it would probably be beneficial for me, especially since I think I have anemia.
    ~~~Carolyn~~~

Be sure to take whatever vitamin you choose to with lots of water. It will
    help to break the contents down and helps to absorb it in your system ( at
    least that is what I've heard.)

You might want to also take them at night, after dinner. That is what I
    have always done, since I was pregnant with my kids with n* from
    morning sickness. If I felt crummy, at least I was asleep!!!!

Remember, the vitamins will ultimately protect you from getting s* rather
    than make you s*!!!
    Julie

Those Cold-eeze vitamins actually have a disclaimer on them that tells
    you not to consume them on an empty stomach because it can cause
    nausea. Last time I had a cold, I didn't read the disclaimer and chewed
    several zinc drops on an empty stomach and, yes, I did feel nauseous,
    but I didn't vomit.

As well, those drops contain way more zinc than a normal multivitamin
    would. Even if you are taking hard-core vitamins, as long as you take
    them with some food in your stomach, I cannot imagine that you would
    feel ill.

What actually happens when you chew zinc on an empty stomach is the
    zinc temporarily shocks your stomach lining into not cooperating. Since
    there's not much else in there to dilute it, you feel nauseous.

As an emet, even if you were to chew zinc on an empty stomach (like I
    did), the nausea is no where near bad enough to cause you to throw up.
    I rode in the car and continued with my day until I felt better, which
    was quite quickly.

SO, take your vitamins, they will just boost your immune system, and as
    long as you are only taking a normal dose, your stomach should only
    feel better