Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hiya,

I dont really find this as hard as I used to but I was just wondering why us emets find it so hard to write 'vomit'?
    To methere areother words/phrases to describe 'it' that I find awful too. I absolutely hate 'throwing up' or 'p***'. Whatis ur opinion? Why do u personally find it hard to write them words?

Rachel xxx

I hate using those words but I now going to be brave and write them out 5 times!! I dont mind the word throwing up as much but I will grade them from easy(1) to hard(4)

**graphic writing the v* word**

1: throw up, throw up, throw up, throw up, throw up

2: sick, sick, sick, sick, sick

3: vomit, vomit, vomit, vomit, vomit

4: puke, puke, puke, puke, puke

*graphic over*

I'm not sure why I find it hard to write those words, I try to block v* out of mind and I think that writing it makes me think about v*. That was not a nce experiance writing all that! I found numbers 3 and 4 the hardest.

I don't have a problem with writing or saying the word. I do it because some of the members on this site are sensitive to it.
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

None of the words associated with emet bother me. I just don't write them out of respect for others who may get anxious when seeing the words.
    It\'s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

Yeah I can say it or type it just fine now, its out of respect to the other people who have trouble seeing it that I don't type the word out. I used to have trouble with it however.

When I first started posting here I wouldn't type it out but now I do.
    I doesn't make sense to censor it because it's just another way for the
    phobia to control your life. I think everyone should type out the full
    words from now on. No more of this "V*" &amp; "V****" nonsense!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well, the thing about not typing it out is out of respect for those who aren't that far yet. I mean you may be able to type it out just fine, but it could send someone else into a panic, and they may just not be ready to type it out or see it themselves yet.

exactly.
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

The sooner they are exposed to the words the sooner they will get over
    seeing and using them. When they're ready? Some people will never be
    ready..they are too comfortable with using the censored words. Typing
    the full word is too scary, uncomfortable, and unknown. So obviously
    they choose the censored version. Why would you want to feel scared and
    uncomfortable? I'll tell you why, because it's a step to recovery! We
    don't have an unlimited amount of time to get better, life is short,
    the sooner we start getting over this phobia the better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree with you Calx, but it's really up to the people who are uncomfortable with it to decide if they are ready or not to start typing the whole word.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetfreak
    None of the words associated with emet bother me. I just don't write them out of respect for others who may get anxious when seeing the words.

exaclty in my situation. I feel as though it might disturb others.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

we've had this "respect" discussion about words several times on this forum. (and it's ok to have it again). Basically we all eventually conclude that we can't possibly "censor" what we say on this forum enough to cover everyone's fears. There are so many words, so many situations, so many different types of words/discussion that may potentially lead someone to panic that we can't control it. After all, it is a forum for those who fear vomit. And everyone had to type vomit at least once to even get here the first time. (Obviously it's good to warn people about graphic descriptions and scenes, cuz then they can choose.)

I think that if you can type it yourself and it doesn't bother you, then you should do it. If it bothers you to type it yourself then, type v* or whatever you are comfortable with.

I could never say the word, and hearing the word sent me into a panic. I also slightly panicked when I saw it written, but I also panicked when I saw any of the euphemisms written as well. Coming to this forum really helped me because it was mentioned so many times (and even when I saw the v* symbol in my head I still said "vomit" so...) that I eventually got used to it and it didn't bother me anymore. What greater gift could we give people than that? Once you see that you can control your panic, even over a little thing, then you can know that you can eventually control ALL your panic.

Anyway, feel free to continue this discussion (again!)
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

i have never had a problem with writing the differnt words for v*, but have jut censored them because otherwise those who still find it hard to be even faced with the word on a computer screen and look arouind the site with ease... i think i will carry on to write v* and V*ing or whatever, just for this reason. i dont need to expose msyelf to the word myself, so if neone particularly wants me to write the word out as a whole, i wont do so.

Jen xxxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

Well writing it no longer bothers me either, i was just curious to see how many other people actually cannot type it, becuz they are scared, and not jus becuz they are doing it out of respect. I dont mind having to censor it either, i was jus curious thats all.

Rachel xxx

I'm ok typing the word because I know it's going to be there, but if I'm reading a book or something and suddenly the word vomit just jumps up at me it freaks me out a bit.

smthing that does bother me a bit, is if im flicking thru a page of writing, and suddenly the word "sick" or "vomit" or "throw" (yes, throw on its own) comes up... it kidna startles me like u say Hannah... but hey, i can deal with tht lol

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

MSN:

I dont have any probs saying vomit, I just dont type it for the courtisy (i cant spell), of others. Look at it this way, atleast you dont have the problem I have. If I hear someone talking about water rides, and saying how wet their clothes got, th "S" word does things to me, and its much more common than vomit.
    Now where\'s that crazy sheep at? Here sheeeepy sheeepy!

"s" word? I'm missing something - the only s-word I can think of doesn't have anything to do with wet clothes...

????

Anyway, my contribution to this discussion (again) is that I don't think typing the whole word out has anything to do with lack of respect, or lack of courtesy. If I could be sure that this was the only word that bothered people I wouldn't do it. But so many words, so many phrases, so much discussion, and so many topics all bother all kinds of people- and differently- that if I were to 'respect' everyone I wouldn't even post!(On another site "nausea" is censored to n* !!!)I tend to use the v-word almost exclusively, cuz I have no idea what other words will affect people what way, and the medical/technical term is "vomit" so that's what I use. I think people should type whatever they are comfortable with. If they can't type vomit then they should type v* or whatever they can - which is probably preferable to other euphemisms (which also bother people, apparently) such as barf, puke, throw up, being sick, etc.

We can be as appreciative of others' suffering as we possibly can, give warnings, and avoid excessively graphic descriptions even with a warning, but we can't be responsible for a zillion emotional reactions of a zillion different people - that's impossible.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

sage.... i think the word "wetjeans" is tryin to say ... is soaked? dunno though. and related to that, i know wot u mean about not being able to respect evryones wishes... because ur right, we cannot please everyone.. maybe i will stop censoring words then and write them out properly from now on. sorry wetjeans, that means the "S" word too.

Jen xxxx

MSN:

Hi, Jen, yup thats it. Every once and a while just seeing it is ok, But I seen somewhere someone here was talking about how they got caught in the rain, and no umbrella, well, if the'd used thats word in there, then it'd bother me. I cant write it either.
    Now where\'s that crazy sheep at? Here sheeeepy sheeepy!

I use to have troubles with it the word would send me into a panicky nauseated feeling. Someone mentioning it too. Now I am ok with it. I don't write it now because I am not sure how many people are bothered by it like I was.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I think its safe to say any words that are the word for vomit are what bothers people. This is an emet board, and it is vomit that bothers us. A zillion peoples different reactions of course cannot all be catered to, but it is obvious that it is vomit that bothers people here, so that word being censored is respectful of those who are not yet ready to say or see the word that bothers them the most.

wetjeans... what happens wen u hear that "s" word? is it the same reaction to wen most of us see the v* word, do u think?

sorry, just interested.

Jen xxxx

MSN:

ok this is crazy...i have just read thru the above posts abouty we dont write vomit and its always out of respect...yet no one has sed 'yes it bothers me to read the word vomit' so who are we respecting/protecting?!?! i kno wot u mean about books tho...my fav book is the curious incident... and the boy in it is autistic and often vomits wen he cant show emotion but he is so blunt about things such as death and other sensitive topics that wen he vomits he just writes 'then i was sick all over the pavement' that kinda freaks me out cuz it will just be in the middle of a normal sentence wen im not expecting it

yeah ur right miss. i think we shud just do whatever we want to do!

this topic is going round in circles anyway [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Jen xxxx

MSN:

Well WE are not bothered, but there are many many people who lurk at this site and don't know whether to post or not. We don't know their preferences or anything so if everyone blocks out the V word and posts a graphic warning before they post ANY sick story that should be enough. Of course we cant censor every word that bugs someone, but these basic courtisies might give people the courage to post.

My friend was always reluctant to come here in case she accidently read a v story until I told her every story is clearly marked and she wont suddenly get startled by the V word.

Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I don't like the word "vomit" because it's such a nasty word to begin with. I mean, some words are just gross, like snot, gag, booger, fart. Not that those words send me into panic mode or anything, but they're just gross words. I don't know--I'm just a weirdo. But I could type it out if I really wanted to. But I don't, because v* is easier and shorter to type and I'm lazy--ha! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]