Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

i just wondered if anyone could answer any of these questions for me:
    1. <LI>Does Stemtil actually stop you V*?? (as some docs says it does)</LI>
      <LI>Has anyone ever take Stemetil and V*?</LI>
      <LI>if you have taken stemtil how many were you on a day?</LI>
      <LI>if stemtil doesnt stop you V* does anyone know any drugs that does?</LI>

thankyou please answer as many as you can xxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pretty much any antiemetic will work decently once it is in the system- however, the tricky part is that if you are sick and your stomach can't tolerate anything being in there, it has a harder chance to be able to stay in there long enough to be absorbed.

I have taken a whole whack of antiemetics- both over the counter and prescription. I have vomitted with every single one of them- BUT, in most cases they did work effectively, and there was relatively no difference between something I took over the counter and something that was prescribed. I am a firm believer that if your system needs to purge itself of something, it will happen, antiemetic or not. This isn't meant to scare you- I'm just relating the truth of my experiences.

Right now, for motionsickness I am quite fond of chewable Bonamine caplets. It doesn't make me drowsy, and I find that it gets into the system and starts working more quickly.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hmmm... did you actually V* because of the tablet?

because my doctor said on Stemetil you cannot V* i take 2 a day every day!!

I think it depends on if you take the tablet in time, i asked 4 doctors about anti-emetics and they all said yes they would stop you v* if taken in time for your body to absorb it, i mean like if you took the antiemetic a few minutes within v* it may not work as it needs to get through your stomach and into your blood stream, thats why when you go and have it done by injection it works within a few minutes, like when i was on reglan i took it to late and i had dry heeves but i left it untill i was dry heeving to acctuly take some. Then the second time i didn't take any at all, relised my stomach had to much acid in it which made me kept v* or having dry heeves, luckily my mum works in the hospital and i went down and had a stemetil injection which worked straight away and stopped the v* and dry heeving. So i think maybe it could also be to do with timing in taking them.
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

When I took stemetil I still v*ed but my nausea and sickness was caused through nerves. That could be the reason it didn't work as the meds didn't actually stop my stomach churning which caused the v*ing. I was on a low dose too.

I don't think there are any drugs that would guarantee 100% you never v*ing if you took themcos sometimes it is just in our best interest to v* - eg to get poisons out of our system in the fastest way.
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Yeah it could depend on the dosage, timing and cause i guess, but if you take it twice a day, i would have thought it should keep the v* at bay..(that rymes lol) i mean some medicenes in some people may not work, like some anti depressents havnt worked for me and then i get put on other ones which do work. Also when i took reglan it never took away n* for me and after a while gave me side effects, but then on stemetil i found it stopped me feeling n* and stopped me v*, and then some people on here said reglan stopped them v* and feeling n*, so i guess its what one works with your body and what ones don't and also the dose of which your taking and when your taking it, like painkillers if you wait and wait untill the pain is so intense, then you take a painkiller, its going to have to work a lot more and it will take longer for the pain to come down, but if you take it as soon as the pain starts to come on it will be quicker for the pain to come down, same as anti-emetics, take them as soon as you feel the n* coming on if your scared, it will get to work and keep it at bay as you wouldn't let yourself feel so n* that you could v*. Sorry thats what my doctor told me, i mean ok if you took one when the n* was so bad it may not work as your body won't absorb it and it won't work, but if you take it as soon as it hits, then it should stop it and get to work.
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!

Hi,
    I haven't personally taken stemtil but a couple of years ago when my
    mum had a really bad stmach virus (she literally couldn't stop V*) the
    doctor prescribed them to her, even though it was hard for her to get
    them down as she had left it so long, they stopped the N* and V*
    completely, I take domperidone and my doctor told me them and stemtil
    would definetly stop V* so I believe they would. I know domperidone
    work on N* and V* side effects to tablets as I had to take some nasty
    tablets a couple of weeks ago and the doctor said they do cause quite
    alot of nausea but to take my domperidone an i'd be fine-and I was!

x x x x

</span></font></span>

Yeah i think it just depends on dose, time, and also how well the med works for the person. I know 7 people who have taken it for all different reasons some of which were fp/sv , and it stopped everyone of them v*, and also when i took it, it stopped me v*. So i guess it depends really how well you take it.
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!

Hey Abbey_16!

I have taken Stemetil on and off for about 10 years, I only take them when I feel really n* and so far I haven't v* with them. But I gave a couple to my mum a few months back when she had a bad sv* and they did not stop her v*. So I guess they work for some people and not others.

I have also taken domperidone and metochlopromide, but neither of them worked for me, so I stick with Stemetil. I think you'll find that what works for one person might not work for someone else.

The only draw back is that Stemetil makes me feel really sleepy and I find it hard to concentrate at work or drive if I have taken one. M x

Thanks for all you advice guys...
    yea i hope Stemetil does work for me then

Do you think you could wean yourself off the Stemetil and only take them when needed? It doesn't seem a good idea to me to take a drug everyday that you don't need... I would worry that it might lose its effectiveness over time then, if you DO need it, it might not work any more. Just my opinion!

BTW you can get a version of Stemetil called 'Buccastem' that dissolves and enters through the mouth, rather than needing to reach the stomach. I don't know how well it works and I'd rather never have cause to tryit out!

<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//-->
    I'm on the Buccastem version of Stemetil. You place a
    tiny round disk underneath your top lip, on your gums, and it acts very
    quickly. It gets straight into your bloodstream, instead of going
    through the stomach. So far, it has always worked.

I wouldn't use it every day, they're powerful drugs that affect the
    brain and you should save them for when you feel n*, at least.

i take stem and i LOVE the stuf... here are my answers:

1. yes it stops you from v*. not only does it do sumtin to the bottom of ur esophagus to stop things heading upwards but it targets the nausea centre of the brain and stops signals being sent to and from there. basically disables it for about 6 hours. so it stops nausea and v* all together.. as ppl hav said yes if there is something that realy realy realy has to get out of ur system ur system will expel it. so its not 100% accurate. but id say 99% reliable[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

2. no iv never v* while iv taken stem

3. when my anxiety and agoraphobia and emet was at its peak last year, i was on three a day. i was so scared that if i didnt take it i wud v*. finally i got out of this mentality and got healthier mentally. but they can be dangerous. when my dosage of aropax (or paxtine) was increased (i cant remember to how much, im not on that one anymore) i took a stemitil then about 5 and a half hours later i took another as i was realy anxious. this is naughty as ur only meant to hav them every 6 hours. anyways it reacted wit the higher dosage of aropax and my whole face and jaw tensed up realy tight and i cudnt move it, talk or anyhting. it was horrible. i had to go to emergency and get this drip that reversed the stemitil. it was bad. so just make sure ur careful wit it, it is pretty powerful stuf.

4. dont know of any others sorry, otherwise id be taking them!!!!!

-stef
    stef - everything happens for a reason

i take maxalon, and i have never v* whilst taking it. it is really good for keeping on top of your symptoms.

the way maxalon works is by emptying your stomach content into the bowel.

Hey, I'm a bit confused about these drugs. Are the names people use the brand names they are sold as. I live in the UK - what would I buy them as over the counter in the chemist? Would they be next to all the stuff for upset tummies and Immodium for d* ? I was trying to look when I was in the chemist today lol

I would just keep 'em for emergencies though, like sumone else said I wouldn't recommend taking them everyday. Iam recovering fromanorexia but about 4 years ago I was taking herbal diet pills everyday and became quite dependant on them psychologically. Not good - don't do it!

x

Stemetil is prescription only - I live in the UK and it was prescribed to me by my doctor.<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//-->

Hey snakemed,

Stemetil is the brand name, its also known as Prochloperazine. Stemetil is available in tablet form, or soluble form but only on prescription. Buccastem is available over the counter as is another type of Prochloperazine, that dissolves in the mouth.

I have it on prescription and take it in emergencies. It's just good to know that I have it and can take it if I need to. M x

Thanks, must look out for this "Buccastem" ![img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

I ended up taking one the other night, i tried not to and just deal with it, but i really thought i was going to v* from coughing so much. It took about 30 minutes to work, i remember feeling n* being awake on minute, then waking up really sleepy and like a zombie, i didn't feel n* anymore, then feel back to sleep lol. Yeah buccastem are really good if you really thought you were going to v* and you couldn't face swallowing a tablet, but recently i think maybe its best to try fight the n* by using natural ways, then medication.

Ruth -x-

TEA!! IS AMAZING!!

see i dont think the stemetil has actually made me tired yet.. so does this mean it isnt working for me? but then again im always usually tired because i have a little one who wakes me up in the night... somenights im fine and not tired at all but then like the odd one night a week im so tired i dnt even wanna get out of bed to make bottles!!.... is this normal?

It effects people in different ways, my mums friend has to take it sometimes and she goes into work and workds all night in the hospital while on it, and she dosn't get sleepy at all, same with my aunt, she takes them 3 times a day for dizziness from having ms, and she's also fine with it, so i think it just effects people in different ways.
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!

I was in hospital on and off between 13th March and 30th May (had about 3 weeks where I wasnt)

When I was sick in there I was given cyclazine injection both intramuscularly and through my cannulae and for me it helped better than stematol.

I take stematol for labrythinitis (dizziness and nausea)