Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I've just learned that SV's can be contagious for 2 weeks! I had
    always thought once the person was no longer sick, they weren't
    contagious anymore. I have kissed my husband every day since he
    was sick and after, thinking it might be food poisoning or something
    but anyway, do I have to worry for 2 weeks now that I'll get
    sick??? I had always let my guard down before when the person
    wasn't sick anymore. Now, I have NEW worries!

I think that they had said that yes, it may be carried in the fecal matter of the person that was ill for up to two weeks. That means that the way that it would spread is direct contact with the fecal matter and it would be transmitted fecal-oral route. I don't think that you have to worry about anything at all by kissing your husband.

susanandbrandy -- I think that the responders in the other thread unintentionally freaked you out.

I think that when we don't know the answer to a question, we should just say, "I don't know." I don't think anybody in the other thread knew the answer.

What I've read many times is yes, it can"shed" in fecal matter for two weeks after illness (it IS a fact). BUT, the only way to be infected by this would be if IF it was in the fecal matter and the person didn't wash his/her hands well, and prepared your food, also if you wee swimming with him/her and they had an "accident" in the pool, which has happened.

I personally think that even though this is true, it would be hard to catch the SV if they washed well after going to the bathroom. After 3 days after his symptoms disappear, I think you'll be in the clear. I know it's very ard, but try not to worry.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

A person isn't HIGHLY contagious for two weeks, but the virus is still in their fecal matter.Here is what Sage's son said:

QUESTION: Transmission of the virus, how long is someone contagious after the last symptom.

ANSWER: 24 hours after the symptoms disappear is normal and reasonable. The person who had the virus becomes immune and secretes antibodies with the virus so it isn't contageous anymore. There have been virus particles found in the stool samples of people who have been infected some time after this...however it is doubtful that enough viral particles are secreted in order to infect someone else. Once again remember that you cannot contract the virus by breathing someone's air, kissing them or such. As long as you are hygenic yourself you can live quite comfortably with someone with a norovirus and never contract it yourself.Edited by: halfoverthefur

Well, she was asking about kissing her husband, so I don't think anyone was sure what effect the shedding in the fecal matter would have on kissing someone. I think we need to be cautious in how we discuss the two week window of viral shedding in fecal matter so that it doesn't sound like you can't be close to a person for two weeks or that someone has to be on major worry patrol for two weeks.

I have heard that it can be in fecal matter for up to two weeks, but as long as you aren't kissing your husbands butt and he isn't licking himself like a dog... which I really hope neither is the case... you should be fine [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img] Ok, that was supposed to be a joke. Anyway, if you were going to catch it, you would have probably started showing symptoms 12-48 hours after first kissing him, plus, as Alvin said, you can't get it from saliva... unless he has been licking his butt, and he's pretty flexible if he has. Again, only JOKING!

Relax and be glad your hubby is feeling better!

Quote Originally Posted by japa

Well, she was asking about kissing her husband, so I don't think anyone was sure what effect the shedding in the fecal matter would have on kissing someone. I think we need to be cautious in how we discuss the two week window of viral shedding in fecal matter so that it doesn't sound like you can't be close to a person for two weeks or that someone has to be on major worry patrol for two weeks.

This is why I stressed the fact that IF it's in the fecal matter still, it's only bad if he/she doesn't wash well after going to the bathroom, or someone is surrounded by an accident in the pool. It is hard to catch a SV for the two weeks following illness, so I thought I did clarify that. No need to worry for 2 weeks, but just be cautious.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

In the last thread, "Am I out of the woods," the very last post, I specifically said she could not catch a SV from kissing her husband:

You can't catch it by kissing your husband. The only way to catch it is to actually ingest the virus, which is in vomit and feces. It is not in saliva, and it is not airborne. So if you just keep washing your hands before you eat or touch your face, you will be just fine.Edited by: halfoverthefur

Tiffanator, that really cracked me up what you said in your reply! Thanks for the help[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Kissing your husband should be no problem, as long as he washed his face after the last time he vomited, 'cause tre virus is not spread by salvia. (see my question to Alvin on this one). however, the virus is contagous untill two days after a person is free of symptoms, because there is still some virus in the fecal matter. after these two days, exstremely small amounts of virus COULD be left in the persons fecal matter for untill two weeks, but honestly, how could these extremely small amounts end up in your mouth? as long as he doesn't serve you his fecal matter for dinner i think you should be totally safe.
    anyway, the virus may live on surfaces like doorknobs or skin for a day or two if the environment is humid, so i wouldn't be too intimate with, or sharing a bathroom with someone who has just been sick. but in your post you say you've been kissing your husband and such "everyday since he was sick" so i guess it's quite a time since he was sick by now? if it's more than two days, i wouldn't worry.

Justin case, I just wanted to saythat-- I wasn't trying to single anyone out with my posts in this thread. I was just talking generally. I don't even remember who posted in the other thread. Haven't looked at it since yesterday, and I didn't even pay attention to who was saying what. I wasjusttalking about a general sense thatI receivedfrom reading the entire threadthat there was some lack of clarity about whether susanandbrandy was "out of the woods" or not.

Yes - all good responses here. Also, Alvin said that even though the person may be shedding the virus they are ALSO shedding antibodies, ...something like that. Anyway, they've mounted an immune response.

I lmao at the licking his butt post! What a visual!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.