Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: lexapro n*?

hey everyone. My doc put me on lexapro today despite the fact that i am terrified of SSRIs. Did anyone have n* as a side effect from lexapro? or v*? I just took my first pill so i'm pretty scared. How much did you start on? I heard you should start on 5mg but my doc started me on 10. Thanks!

Oh my gosh! That's so strange - my doctor put me on Lexapro today as well for anxiety! I took it this morning and ate a bagel with it but still experienced n* and drowsiness. From what others are telling me on my post earlier this morning, these side effects are just your body getting used to the medicine. If it gets too bad, they recommended that I let me doctor know before I get too far into the treatment. How long has it been since you've taken your first pill? I'm on 10 mg as well.

We can get through this!!! Please keep me posted on how you are feeling and vice versa.Edited by: chally

Hey...it's been about 4 and half hours...i am feely slightly n* but not enough to make me panic. So far so good i guess lol. I am feeling tired as well so i might take it tomorrow night instead of during the day. Hope the n* doesnt get any worse though!

I'm glad you aren't feeling too n*! I took it about 12 hours ago and still don't feel quite right. I may give my doctor a call tomorrow b/c everytime I eat I get extremely n*. Everytime I try to swollow it feels like my gag reflex starts acting up...very scary. I think I'm going to go pace around for a bit.... [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Yeah i definately started feeling kinda gaggy bc the meds are making me yawn a ton! Every time i yam i feel gaggy. It's been 6 hours for me and no n* but i couldnt even eat dinner. I'm feeling pretty good now. I will definately take it tomorrow night and hopefully sleep through the n* and have energy when i wake up. Let me know what your doc says and i hope you feel better!

I know how you feel! My fiance kept insisting that I try to eat something...no way, not going there. Please let me know how you do with taking it at night. I feel like it did help my anxiety level a bit...no chest pains today (for the first time in 10 days)! I almost feel a bit numb. Keep me posted!

How are you doing today? I woke up feeling tired but no n*. I'm not looking forward to taking my dose tonight. I'm scared of having the n* again. Hope your second day is going okay! I'm glad we're in this together!

Are you doing alright, Chally? I took my med last night at 7pm and never felt any n* and woke up today still feeling okay. I still don't have much of an appetite though.

Oh I'm sorry cmatijevich, I didn't see your message yesterday! This is so bad, but I didn't take it yesterday b/c I was going to cut it in half last night, but then I got a headache, had to take Advil, and didn't want them to mix!!! Can you take Advil with Lexapro?

Tonight, some of our friends are throwing my fiance and I a wine shower, so once again I'm afraid to mix it with alcohol!! What should I do? I need to call my doctor to let her know that I'm cutting the dosage in half and taking it at night.

Besides the terrible n*, my anxiety has dramatically decreased in the past day or two. My appetite has been minimal, similiar to your experience. Glad that you are feeling ok and no more n*! How is your anxiety level?

Hey! I"m sorry to hear about your headache! I'm not sure about lexapro and advil. I don't think there is any problem but you should ask your doc. I've read that you shouldntdrink alcohol while taking lexapro but only becausealcohol isa depressant...i didnt even ask my doc about that. My anxiety level has been pretty low but i'm so freaking tired lol.

Aw, thanks! My headache is gone now, but I need to call my doctor and ask her a few questions about the Lexapro (ie alcohol, other meds, etc). I'll let you know what she says. I know what you mean about feeling tired - I almost felt a bit numb! So do you think you're doing ok with the 10 mg dosage?

Yeah definately let me know what the doc says about alcohol and such! I think i'm doing okay with 10mg now..no n* at all. Kinda odd since the first time i had plenty of it lol. I guess maybe i slept through all of it? I'm thankful for that. I just really hope this tiredness is just a side effect that will pass soon as well. I've got a 3 year old i have to keep up with lol. Also i worry that i will have a low metabolism and start to gain weigh. I worry too much about that kind of stuff.

cmatijevich - How are you feeling today? I haven't had a chance to call my doctor but plan to this afternoon. Will keep you posted!

Still feeling fine...just tired! Starting to worry a little bit too much about what i got myself into though. Like if i'm gonna gain weight or have withdrawl symptoms when i go off. Are you still taking the lexapro or waiting until you talk with you doc? Hope you are doing well!

I've been on Lexapro for over a year now, and I hope it'll be comforting to know it hasn't made me sick. I haven't gained weight either.

I remember thefirst two or so weeks were weird. I was lethargic, a bitlightheadedand experienced flu-like symptoms (but no nausea). Everything seemed dreamlike, and I felt invincible. I broke so many school rules during that time--I would violate the dress code because I felt like it, cut classes on impulse and go listen to music in the bathroom, even though we weren't allowed to use CD players in school.

Let me warn you this: DON'T FORGET TO TAKE IT! I'vemissed doses before and hated myself every time. I get dizzy, feel zapping sensations in my head(one of these "zaps" ended in a faint), become panicky, depressed, and irritable,and experience a lot of the feelings I mentioned before. Keep an emergency dose with you wherever you go, and don't quit cold turkey.Edited by: juliet

I tried Lexapro once at about 5pm on an empty stomach--10mg dose. Boy an hour later, I felt the n* starting and it built up for the next hours up until a little over 24 hours later. I never took the second dose cuz I was afraid my nausea would be worse. I hated it. Do you all take it with food or something? I need to get on something and I currently have Zoloft. I took zoloft one time, about 12.5 mg which is what is given to geriatric people cuz of their low weight. I am super petite and weigh near 100 lbs so I always ignore my doctors cuz they don't take my weight into consideration. They treat me like any other adult and give me adult doses. I know myself better than anyone else so I cut up my zoloft into quarters and took 12.5 mg. I felt mild nausea even after a full meal and no appetite. the next day at work by about mid morning I started feeling very drowsy. then it increased as the hours went by. the drowsiness was sooooooo bad that I literally felt like I had anesthesia on me and I NO longer could control keeping my eyes open. I wanted to give into the sleep so badly but as a teacher with kids in my room, I couldn't. I wanted to leave early and take a nap but my principal was not there to release me. It scared me and I stopped. I never took the second dose. I have tried paxil for a whole week and the nausea kept increasing. the first day gave me instant anxiety relief but the nausea I can't deal with cuz that is what triggers my panic attacks so I don't know. I was confused about it and stopped. The I tried prozac, same thing. Let me know how you all are doing on your lexapro cuz I'll be interested in giving it another shot w/ food and cutting it in half.

Chally, is that your picture? if so, you are so beautful. I know that when I came out of the closet and said I was an emet. to a group of strangers in church, a woman came up to me and said, you know I never knew you but saw you often and always thought, " look at that girl, she is so pretty, she probably has never gone thru depression and does not know what panic is. She is so lucky." She was shocked to hear that this disorders, conditions, don't discriminate. I would like to go thru your experience with you two so that you can have extra support from someone looking from the outside with an idea too cuz I took it once and that has to count.

Jess

Well i have not taken lexapro personally but my mom has taken it. She also has had gastric bypass. So things effect her very fast (her stomach is tiny from the surgery). She takes it and i think she may have felt n* at first but nothing now. I ask her to try foods for me before i eat them since her digestive system moves faster than mine. Doesnt necassarily work all the time due to some incubation periods but she is sensitive to these sort of things.

I started taking Lexapro 4 days ago, 10mg, I go to 20mg in 3 more days. I hope it helps!!