Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I just wanted to know if anyone here has v* from a stomach virus since they developed their phobia....

Also, does anyone know how effective phenegren is in stopping v* due to and sv*?Edited by: silver

Unfortunately, I have vomited with the last 2 stomach viruses I have had. I developed the phobia over 20 years ago, and I can remember 3 stomach viruses where I did not throw up. But the last 2, yeah, I did. I have never taken Phenergan while I've had a stomach virus. I did take it in the hospital after surgery. It makes you pretty tired.

I only had a stomach virus once. I already had a phobia by then but hadn't been sick in about 11 years so I thought it was safe and the phobia was on a real back burner. Then when I v* from the sv, I was so happy at first because I realized how it wasn't scary at all and thought phobia was gone. Well that lasted for about a month and then I suddenly for no apparent reason developed a panic disorder, ie panicing for no good reason at all. After about a month of that the phobia returned full blast and with a vengince. It has taken me three years to be able to function more or less like a normal person again. I wonder what will happen next time I get sick...

I have had my phobia for about 9/10 years and have never had a stomach
    virus in that time but I have never had a stomach virus in my life
    ATALL the only time i've vomited was before my phobia and I had a bad
    throat but it was my temperature that made me vomit alot (bein a little
    kid an all) and there must have been more times that i can't think of
    but my mum assures me no Stomach virus-I think thats why i fear it so
    much 'the unknown!!!' I dont know about the medication you were talking
    about-but like I reccomend for everyone Domperidone works-i've seen it
    in action! haha! x x

I would like to know how effective phenergan is in sv, too. I have some, and take it for a sleep aid, as it is a mild sedative, and to help with my nervous tummy.I am going on zoloft, which upsets my stomach, so I take a phenergan 1/2 hour before the zoloft, which helps with that.

I have had 2 stomach viruses in the last 2 years and did not v* with either
    of them (I have been emet for 32 years) The first one I could of v* very
    easily, but I fought it like I've never fought before while my hubby was
    v*ing the entire time. The second one, when it hit our house, I refused to
    eat so that I wouldn't v*. Every one v* but me- so I think that saved me.
    I'm sure if it was bad enough I would v*, but I'm not going down easily.

Hi, I've had 3 sv*s in the last 3 years and I didn't v* with any of them. Although with all 3 I came pretty close, especially the last one which was the most scary thing I've ever been through in my life.

I took Stemetil with each of them, which I'm sure helped. Everyone else who had these viruses did v*, so I was very, very lucky.

It is hard to keep fighting your bodies need to v*, sometimes I think it might be easier to let it happed, especially after the last sv*, when I felt like I was going to v* for 3 days non-stop.

I've had this phobia for over 20 years and I worry most days about v*. M x

Its happened to me only once since I developed the phobia. I wound up
    in the hospital for it too, which wasn't too pleasant. I was pretty
    much cured within my first year of development but since this latest
    experience I've been a train wreck almost everyday. It definitely
    seems that it comes back shortly after a negative experience. They gave
    me Stemetil at the hospital, can't say I liked it very much but it did
    the trick.

Hi! I just started this membership, and I feel surprised to see how many people have the same fear as I. It is unbelievable. I was reading your note below and I was shocked to hear that you threw up, but it didn't make the 'fear' go away. People keep telling me that when I do vomit, everything will be fine, because I will find out that it isn't a bid of a deal after all. I've had this fear for about 25 years and it is very difficult to live with it. I wish I could make it go away and just be a normal person and eat whatever I want and all that. Anyway, it was nice reading your story. Thanks for sharing it. Viviane

Quote Originally Posted by qpaulina42
    I only had a stomach virus once. I already had a phobia by then but hadn't been sick in about 11 years so I thought it was safe and the phobia was on a real back burner. Then when I v* from the sv, I was so happy at first because I realized how it wasn't scary at all and thought phobia was gone. Well that lasted for about a month and then I suddenly for no apparent reason developed a panic disorder, ie panicing for no good reason at all. After about a month of that the phobia returned full blast and with a vengince. It has taken me three years to be able to function more or less like a normal person again. I wonder what will happen next time I get sick...

I had an SV right after Thanksgiving of 2005. It made me realize
    about my fear and how at times when I need v* it just happens, I can't
    stop it. But it hurts less in my throat if I just let it happen and not
    fight it. It's like one of those things that's over before you know it.

BUT

then again I still have this huge phobia all based on flyign with it...which is bugging me out even more.

Yeah I've had a stomach virus 5 times since I realized I had a phobia, twice when I was real young (9), and v*ed, and I'm not sure if I already had it or thats when it really started. Well, I had 3 more much more recently (age 19 and 20), and v*ed a lot, and I have found each time that once I got over the hurdle of the initial v*ing, then it wasn't bad and I wasn't really scared, just thought to myself 'this sucks', and I was ok for a bit after them, but then the phobia comes back, though its nowhere near as bad as when I was a kid.

I've had an sv about 2-3 times since developing this phobia. But as soon as I feel a twinge in my tummy, I stop eating until it is long gone. And I fight like crazy not to v*, even though a couple of times I almost gave up. I don't buy that stuff that line, "Oh, once you v* you'll feel better". That has never been the case in my life. You may feel better, for about an hour until the next wave hits and then you are back to square one.

Vivi,

I can definitely tell you from my experience that throwing up will not make the fear go away.* Not to scare you, but it makes my fear way worse.* I have only had two illnesses that have made me sick since I've had this phobia (over 20 years).* But everyone is different.Edited by: Girlygirl1980s