Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Words

I hope I'm posting this is the right spot ... there is a question lol.

Anyhow, i was writing an email today and realized there's certain words I don't type. I write I will rather than I'll cuz it's too close to ill. Yet I can type ill and the v word etc when it's appropriate, the words don't bother me in context lol. But I don't like it othewise lol. Does that make sense? I've also noticed there's a word game I play online and if ther words could make up "flu", "ill", etc I will start over LOL! How ridiculous! The funny thing is that I KNOW it's dumb. I don't even know why I do it. I've seen other posts about words etc so I know others are similar but are any of you like this? Like I could handle v* being spelt out on here and spelling it out, I can read it, say it etc. No issue. I can type ill, say it, etc. But when it isn't in context, likeI'll (isnt' even that word, just looks like it) it bothers me. Am I flippin nuts? Wait, dont' answer that I know I"m nuts lol.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Well Im obviously another nut, as I have the "I will" issue too, I never ever write it in the shortened form even tho I can write ill, v* and a host of other unsavoury words!!!

My other half says its part of my "little freakiness"

Laney xxx

I agree with Laneyb - it is just a little quirkiness, that some people have. I don't know if you read my post recently about "The evil word v*!" but I certainly see myself as quirky!

A lot of people have certain orders that they do things in, or play word or number games in their head. Do you know anything about OCD? I am not saying it is that, but I know I have been diagnosed as having it. I had never heard of it for a long time, but couldn't believe when I found out hand washing is one of the major behaviours carried out by sufferers.

Another odd thing I do is make words out of car registration plates, in the UK they would be something like - SP06 ABC - with 3 letters at the end. I have seen one with "VMT", "VOM", and worse still, someone in my street has "GAG"!!

lol, you have to laugh sometimes!!

x

Thanks guys, glad it's not just me lol.

I don't think I have OCD. I have a few tendencies but not anything unmanagable. Ah well. Like you said gotta laugh.

hehe I like a little freakiness lol. That'scute!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I feel uncomfortablewriting or talkingabout vomit outside the context of my phobia. And even when I'm discussing my phobia, I don't like to say or write"thr*w *p," even when it doesn't refer to vomit. That line in "The Night Before Christmas" bothers me.

This isn't OCD, but it's a close relative, I think. I imagine if your anxiety in general went up, you'd get worse with the words.

One thing to do is to "attack" this symptom head-on, and conquer it and then you will feel like you have some control over your phobia. In other words, type the word "I'll" the next time you feel like you don't want to. See what happens. I imagine what will happen is that your anxiety will go up and you'll worry. So then work at self-soothing, relaxation techniques or cognitive strategies (i.e., "I'm not in any danger." "I'm perfectly safe", etc.) See how you can calm yourself down. The next day you'll feel like you've triumphed! Then try it again - and again!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.