Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: anxiety attacks

Before I go on, I'm 17 years old. In the last couple of months, especially the past week, I have been getting increasingly more anxiety attacks. It's not just about my emet either, they have been random, unexplained anxiety attacks that just occur out of no where. On top of that, my body seems to be in full time stress mode. I find I can no longer sit through anything requring my full attention for more than 5-10 minutes. I've already broke down crying at school for no apparent reason and ended up talking to the councellor about nothing as I didn't no why they were happening.

Last Sunday I went to the hospital because I couldn't breathe and he (doctor)told me I was having an anxiety attack (I wasn't sure because I never had to struggle so much to breathe before). He gave me Atavin which made me depressed for a little bit then I calmed down and went to sleep. Since then, I've been wondering if I should get a presciption or something to calm me down. My mom gave me some wine last night to take the edge of these anxiety attacks but I'm wondering what I should do. I'm afraid to get dependent on drugs yet I feel so helpless and frustrated right now. If I do get a prescription, should I talk to the doctor about getting more Atavin or is there something else you would recommend that I should talk to him about?

I had a very similar experience when my attacks first started several
    years ago. I went to the hospital on the advice of my friends and gave
    me the exact treatment. I saw my GP a few days later and got a
    prescription for sublingual Ativan, which you put under your tongue so
    it dissolves more quickly. I had the same fears as you, I was terrified
    of becoming addicted to the stuff which didnt help ease my anxiety at
    all. I only took it when I really needed it IE when my panic attack was
    unstoppable or uncontrollable. I joined a group therapy session
    downtown and within a few months my attacks were less and less frequent
    eventually leading up to me not needing my ativan anymore. Your doctor
    may recommend an anti-depressant as anxiety and despression are pretty
    much controlled by the same part of the brain. Though it may work for
    some I opted not to take the anti-depressant, determined to fix my
    problem with cognitive behavioural therapy and it worked! Theres no
    shame in using Ativan, it helped keep me sane during those first few
    uneasy months when it all started. I say get the prescription, join a
    course and start working on what makes you panic. Anxiety attacks are
    98% curable within a year of the onset using cognitive therapy! Oh and
    of course don't have the ativan with wine, that only leads to more
    trouble, Ive been there.

Hiya i'm 16 (well nearly 17) and it's really wierd coz i've been going through the excact samething. i just feel the need to panic and my breathing starts getting faster and so on and i sit there thinking-you don't even feel sick and your not even worrying about it so why are you panicking?? I think that because my emets been so much better lately and i'm finally starting to overcome it my body is so used to panicking it's like programmed to do it or something!! I do know how you feel though and it is tough. I just try to breathe through it and laugh at myself like saying thinks like "why are you panicking, wierdo!!??" and "oh here it is again" don't worry though in time it'll probably pass but there is medication for it. Just see your GP to point you in the right direction. hope all's better soon. x x

Thanks, both of you I appreciate your advice.

I've been feeling a little better, decided not to take ativan yet. I've just been taking it easy and drinking a little bit of wine on my bad nights which calms me right down. So hopefully it gets better instead of worse.

I would like to get therapy, I really would as this has been a problem for me for what seems like forever. It's just that they charge $70-$80 (cdn) per hour and I'd probably be paying myself. I don't have a job yet and won't for awhile as I'm taking co-op so I'll be working for free while being trained. *sigh*

Hi Valleymist,

A couple of things to remember: #1 (a big warning): Alcohol is FAR more addictive than Ativan! "A little wine" can turn into a HUGE problem, fairly quickly, and I would recommend cutting that out right away! Secondly, please go see your GP and ask for a referral to a psychiatrist who does psychotherapy. There will be a long wait, but it will not cost you anything in Canada. Ask your GP to research psychiatrists in your area who do therapy (not just prescribe drugs - although some medication may be helpful to you in the meantime). Ativan is addictive if used regularly, but other meds for anxiety are not.

If you live in Vancouver or area, send me a PM (I'll treat you for free)

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.