Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Ive been considering going on the depo provera birth controlshot,since having a bad pregnancy scare recently.Has anyone ever used this before? does it cause v*? has anyone ever had bad side effects?.. answers or advise would be much appriciated thanxx

Amanda
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.

I don't want to scare you, but I have heard nothing but bad about this shot- even from one of my professors who is a sex therapist. It has been linked with increased depression and suicidal tendencies, loss of bone density, and a diminished sex drive. In one instance, they gave the shot to women who were mentally disabled and lived in a group home- within a short period of time, many became depressed- even suicidal. The only thing that had changed in this period of time was introducing the shot as a method of birth control.

The thing is thatonce it is in your system, you can't get it out if you have a bad reaction- you have to wait for it to run its course (usually 3-6 months). I have had a friend bedridden with liver problems for months- nothing she could do about it. Also, there is no real way to determine if it is effective- unless you get pregnant.

Did you know that they also give a version of this to male sex offenders to lower their sex drive? I know I wouldn't want that in my body.

If you have problems taking the pill at the same time everyday, have you considered the patch? I think you change it once a week, and if you start having a bad reaction you can take it off.

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here are a few articles:

http://www.journalism.ubc.ca/thunder...03/features/de poprovera.html

http://www.abcinternetmarketing.com/depo-provera/

Once again, not meant to scare you....just give you some info. From what I have read, the shot should only be taken as a last resort, only if other methods of birth control can't be used for some reason.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well, I have been having the depo provera jab for about 9 years now,I stopped taking the pill becos I was getting migraines. I defo dont want any children so it seemdlike a good option.

The only side effect I am aware of is weight gain, (put on about 50lbs in 9 yeras) however since I started having the jabs I have got married and been very content. We also eat way too big meals that that obvioualy doesnt help(having said that in the last 6 months I have lost 20lbs thru excercise and better eating)

I see my nurse every 12 weeks so she can check me over, the usual blood pressure and weight stuff. I have spoken to her about bone density but she saidthe research in the UK was not conclusive. Im certainly not suicidal and have never been, sure I get down and grumpy but doesnt everyone at some point.

The good thing is I dont have any bleedinhg and havent done since I started having them.Its so hassle free.

I guess the thing is,everyone suits a different method of contraceptive, you just need to read up about it and decide whats best for you.I certainly have no bad experiences to write about.

If you want to ask anything else, no matter what, feel free.

Laney xxx

i have had the depo provera shot and it has been fine for me they did tell me that it can make you put on about a stone.. but for some reaosn i hace lost 4lbs with it... lol

so no no sickness for me...

I was on Depo for a few years.Hated it. I got to be as fat as a cow! I think I gained 35 lbs in a year or so. Once it got out of my system (like a year) the weight fell off. Definitely decreased libido. What good is it to not be able to get pregnant if you don't want sex Anyway, that is my opinion. No n* or v* though.

I was on Depo for about 5 years. Nothing happened. I did not gain any weight. No mood swings. Now I decided to take birth control pills (like an idiot) and I have been sooo sick. So I am not taking them. The anxiety of it was too much to handle. I am considering going back on Deop. I loved it.