Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was wondering if you guys can help me here:

Today I went to a gas station to fill up my car. This guy and his gf drive up and stop at one of the pumps. The guy walked over toward me and asked me if I wanted to get my gas at half price (which is very inviting these days!!). I asked him how. He said he had a gas credit card, he'd use that to put gas in my car, if I could give him $30.00 cash, being that he was broke. So of course I felt bad for him and let him use the card, pump my gas for me, and I gave him the cash. My heart always goes out to people less fortunate, and give in when they ask me for help. He seemed sincere, so I helped him, and saved $$ for myself at the same time, so I thought it was a win--win situation. Now, my question is, is there any scam he may have pulled on me with this transaction? I did write down his license plate #. SHould I tell police what happened??
    ~*~Charlene~*~

The only thing I can think of is maybe the gas card was stolen.

yeah, he used his own card, I wouldn't worry about it. He probably just needed some cash on hand and didn't have any way of taking any out or something.

hmmm... chances are he probably just had no cash on him but it does sound a little shady. i dont know, i'm too trusting of a person and i would have done the same thing you did! just keep an eye out on the situation. i doubt it was anything bad. i can't see him getting any of your information from that transaction!
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

I'm very cynical. It could have been a stolen card. You didn't do anything wrong though. You thought you were helping somebody. Hopefully, if it was stolen, the card holder found out before the person racked up too much in charges.

I hope the card was not stolen either. I wouldh ave been tooafraid that he was a pervert or something and would have said "no thank you".

Yeh, he really may have been cash-poor, and thought of a CLEVER way to make some $$.

I did end up calling the police station and telling them what happened, JUST IN CASE, and they weren't very interested, so I guess all is well.

I didn't even think of him being a pervert, what a dummy!!! I could have been attacked! UGH!! Well, that's pretty unusual for me to be off-guard like that, since I'm always "on edge", because there's a CLASS 3 (highest level for repeating his crime) Sex Offender in my neighborhood! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

If all was legitimate, I do hope the $$ helped him and his family, at least a little bit.

Thank you everyone for your advice and understanding[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img].Edited by: californiagirl
    ~*~Charlene~*~

CALL THE POLICE!!!

That is a SCAM! I have gotten emails about that! They use stolen credit cards, or homemade credit cards with a valid credit card number...they fill up your car, some poor person gets charged, and they get the cash from you!

BAD NEWS!! CALL THE POLICE!!

My hubby is a cop, and agrees!

^^ She did call the police and they weren't interested. Look if it was something dodgy you have his license and you've checked in with them. You can't do more than that and if it wasn't then you helped some guy. It's done now and there is nothing more that you can do.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by hippychick
    ^^ She did call the police and they weren't interested. Look if it was something dodgy you have his license and you've checked in with them. You can't do more than that and if it wasn't then you helped some guy. It's done now and there is nothing more that you can do.

Yeh, the police weren't interested, weird, huh?? I did give them the license plate # and description of the car he was driving. If there's any question on anything, I'm sure the whole thing of him pumping my gas and using the card at the pump, so I wasn't guilty of anything. When he started telling me about his dad's funeral, I felt bad for him. Also, hopefully I don't sound greedy, being that I got my gas at 1/2 price. Of course it was nice, but I would've been fine paying the whole price as well, I just wanted to help him, but didn't give him a handout.

I'm gonna forget this haopened, because my instinct tells me that nothing will come of this. No I know for next time, huh?[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]
    ~*~Charlene~*~