Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Does anyone actually avoid that part? I always read them myself, not doing goes against my logic, since a lot of emet for me is actually obsession with vomit, rather than total avoidance.

Just.. curious.

Also *GRAPHIC BIT*
    Someone was telling me in oh so graphic detail last night, about a friend of ours whod gotten food poisoning and been in the bathroom throwing up forA FULL HOUR!! [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]and how hed had to drink loads of water because otherwise hed start vomiting up bodily fluids...Meh, Im mildly confused at this point, (as well as being quiteput of my pizza!) since in my expirience, once theres nothing left in your stomach, you just dryretch. I thought the water was purelyto stop you dehydrating. Anyway-he made me realise, that what I fear, isnt really being sick atall- if someone told me I was going to be and within a few minutes itd all be over, that wouldnt besuch a big deal atall- what I fear, is not being able to stop being sick. Makes perfect sense really, because as a kid I got pretty ill at one point,n as a small child, if noone explains to ya that you cant keep throwing up forever (or until ya die or whatever), the concept is kinda scary. I always forget that as a child, I didnt think the way I do now, Ive been conditioned n messed up now, back then I was logical, Idont think I had a schema for being sick- I had no concept of what was going to happen next, only that I probly wouldnt like it much.

Hmm. So yea, does this make sense on some level? What dya think? Maybe its a personal thing, or maybe this is something true to a lot of emets?

According to an emergency room doctor I once talked to in a hospital, one of the great myths about vomiting is the idea that drinking water helpsprevent dehydration. Actually the opposite is true. You can drink a cup of water, and if you're vomiting, it will cause you to throw up a cup of water PLUS a bunch of bodily fluid so you get more and more dehydrated. The best thing to do for a person who is vomiting continuously is to avoid giving them ANYTHING by mouth. In fact, at the hospital they have red signs already made up that read "NOTHING BY MOUTH" and they put them on the end of peoples' beds.

Even though poisoning or some acute viruses can cause people to vomit over and over for a long time (up to 24 hours) you still won't die from it and you will still stop eventually. In fact, if I were vomiting continually for more than 8 hours I'd go to a hospital and they can stop it in a matter of seconds with certain drugs (a variety to choose from). People treated in hospitals don't vomit - the drugs are fantastic. Rare exceptions are people with blocked bowels from very very advanced cancer, etc.(they're dying anyway).

When my kids were little and stomach bugs were going around all the other mums talked about their kids vomiting for ages and ages, but mine only ever did it twice (I'm quite sure because I never fed them water.) And they were never dehydrated. A kid can goat least 12hours without water without being dehydratedand if he isn't vomiting during that time, he can go twice that long.

Another good example of this is my Golden Retriever dog. She came home from being spayed (surgery) and drank some water, then threw up. She never drank a single thing for 24 hours after that. Then she was fine. If that had been a kid, everyone would have been like "you have to drink something...sip a little bit...try some gingerale...you don't want to get dehydrated...etc. etc." The dog was just like "O my God I'm sick - I'm sure as hell not going to drink anything or I'll barf even more."

Oh...and I wonder about whether people avoid the "GRAPHIC" warnings too. Of course there are lots of "lurkers" on the site who don't post who might appreciate the warnings but we won't know.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hmm...

I think that it is good that you know why you fear being sick...you fear it because you don't know if you'll stop. And if tied to personal experiences, that can be scary. For me, I fear vomit all together. I fear seeing it, hearing about it, seeing movies with it...and personal experiences with it. It's completly understandable that you fear not being able to stop it...just know that you're body will take care of yourself, doing what it needs to do. Over all, I think you're unique fear is perfectly understandable, perfectly real, and perfectly scary.

well, if something says graphic im more inclined to read it, because obviously someone has gone thru a bad time and needs to tell someone, and as im not one to get anxious by just reading stories about vomit nemore... i will always read them.

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

I will read it. I am a lot stronger for it and I find it doesn't bother me now at all and I want to read it so I know if I can help out some how.
    It's interesting that you feel that way and I can see how that could manifest itself. It is TRUE that you are suppose to only SIP liquids, but that of course is only after you have the vomiting under control. I learned at an early age that a big glass of cold water won't stay there no matter what when your stomach is still upset.
    Hospital meds are wonderful. THey have a super stregth of dyphenhydramine there and they can give it to you intravenously along with saline to help your body rehydrate without drinking.

Graphic
    I had a course (over 7days of 24 hour sick) I heaved until nothing was there and when I had a spell I didn't my stomach juts collected bile which immediatly came up. It turned out that because of my stomach ulcers and IBS my system couldn't handle the antibiotics I had had for my strep throat.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

i jsut read everything to be honest...if i start to read sumthing that makes me fel uncomfortable i just close the wondow

So Im confused, Sage, what if you have food poisoning or a virus or something, and youre sick, and you have dioreah? (normally I guess if youre pretty ill youd get both) so you SHOULDNT drink water? That goes against everything Ive ever been taught, which I know doesnt make me right, but still... It seems logical that your body would need to replace the fluids its loosing fairly fast?

*KINDA GRAPHIC* [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]The times Ive been sick I guess I didnt have anything to drink until ages after, hours n hours... but Ive not been really badly ill since I was pretty small, n I think that night I was given juice n stuff.. I have no idea whether I brought it back up though.
    When people say about constant vomiting, I always think of this movie.. I forget what its called now, a really old film had that purdy lady in it.. either Julia Roberts or Sandra Bullock, I know they dont look atall alike really, I just get the names mixed up cuz Im a idiot anyway yea, she gave her husband-to-be food poisoning and he was incredibly ill, all over the place, n then all the way to the hospital.. n interestingly, although you dont see... anything atall I dont think, I found that one of the most terrifying sickness scenes Ive ever seen in any film.

you know what i found disturbing?

*GRAPHIC*

neighbours today, the TV programme... wen little Oscar was sick on Jack's face... imagine that... =|

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

Meh, dont watch it. n now Im quite glad I dont watch it. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Jenneh

you know what i found disturbing?

*GRAPHIC*

neighbours today, the TV programme... wen little Oscar was sick on Jack's face... imagine that... =|

Jen xxx

*GRAPHIC*

About a year ago, my (emet) friends kid had strep throat, fortunately Chan and I were out at the time for happy hour, but his daddy picked him up and the little mite puked all over daddy's face, in his mouth etc.

Zac was traumatised for a long time after that even though he's not emet - it really bothered him which is understandable. Chan and I were just glad we weren't there!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternity

*KINDA GRAPHIC*
    When people say about constant vomiting, I always think of this movie.. I forget what its called now, a really old film had that purdy lady in it.. either Julia Roberts or Sandra Bullock, I know they dont look atall alike really, I just get the names mixed up cuz Im a idiot anyway yea, she gave her husband-to-be food poisoning and he was incredibly ill, all over the place, n then all the way to the hospital.. n interestingly, although you dont see... anything atall I dont think, I found that one of the most terrifying sickness scenes Ive ever seen in any film.

I think I know which one you mean, she makes him some kind of sauce or something. God I don't know the title, but that film never bothered me, the noises etc all seemed to fake. I can see why it would Seriously bother some people though.

I read everything here. PArtly because I am a mod and like to check in most places that there isn't anything too horrific and partly because it doesn't bother me really but I like to see if I can help others.

I would never drink anything when Ill. I had food poisoning once

*Graphic maybe*

And I had been Ill a lot. Finally it stopped and seemed to be all over, so on my mums advice I had a drink (which I sipped) And it bothered my stomach and I was ill again.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I always read them, even if it makes me uncomfortable, it's good exposure.
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

Quote Originally Posted by crazybeautiful
    I always read them, even if it makes me uncomfortable, it's good exposure.

That is why I read them and it has helped tons.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

yep!
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

I check this site whilst I am work and I do avoid anything which has a graphic warning - so please keep putting them there. It's hard enough anyway being at work without reading some v* story which might make me feel bad. Plus if I do read them I often start obsessing about the situation and imagining it over and over again and being digusted/terrified by it. I do find reading about people feeling worried and bad and then getting through it without v* but not the stories about it actually happening as that just makes me worried that it will actually happen to me the next time I feel bad.
    JaneL

Quote Originally Posted by jlockyer
    I check this site whilst I am work and I do avoid anything which has a graphic warning - so please keep putting them there.

There's no question of that really. Everyone has there own personal limits and boundries and I think No-one here wants to cause anybody discomfort or panic. So the graphic warnings Will always be here so that everyone can make their own choice about whether or not they can handle it.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Eternity,

If you haven't vomited in a couple of hours, then you should try a few ice chips, then sipping water or flat gingerale and see how your stomach feels - if it comes up again within 20 minutes then DON'T drink more. If you're not vomiting, but have diarrhea then you should drink as much as you can, as you're losing fluids. If you don't have diarrhea, then gravol/dramamine suppositories work well.

Although diarrhea dehydrates you, if you're vomiting - as I said - if drinking 1 cup of water causes 1 cup + 1/4cup of fluid to come up, then obviously you're going backwards. It's a delicate balance, and if you can't keep anything down at all for over 24 hours (or earlier if you're a child, or a baby...or if vomiting is really really excessive[more than twice/hour])then you need a hospital and an IV. The way to judge if you need to go to the hospital (or your child does) is to look at your tongue. If it's wet then you're ok. You can also pick up a bit of skin on the arm/hand - dehydrated skin sort of "sticks" there and doesn't snap back.

Dehydration is dangerous - even fatal (especially in children) so when in doubt, head for the hospital. But again, giving water when water+body fluids are coming immediately back up CAUSES dehydration. The point is that in many cases you won't vomit again if nothing goes into your stomach (this is the comforting thing for many emets, who feel pressured by uninformed others to drink water). So for sure, if you've just vomited once or twice DON'T DRINK WATER until you wait at least an hour and then your stomach feels ok - then take in a few ice chips or try sipping clear fluids very very slowly.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.