Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I HATE BEING EMET. Had to say that...will relax now. On one of the other message boards I visit, some girl was talking about how she had her wisdom teeth out and was reeeaallly n*. Then everyone cheerfully chimed in about how they had v*ed so much that they needed to be rushed to the emergency room when they had their wisdom teeth out (15 PEOPLE I'M TALKING ABOUT- OMG...really!). Apparently a pain medication (codeine or vicodin) causes massive v*ing for some.

So...now, though I have been declared wisdom tooth free for at least 6 years by a professional dentist (who, by the way stared at the x-ray for a good ten minutes and said "WOW...I have never seen anyone who didn't have ANY by your age"), I am now having a fun little panic attack. I don't need reassurance because I am being stupid and irritational, but don't all of you love situations that come up like this?
    ~~~Carolyn~~~

Yes.. And doesn't it seem that we are constantly being challenged by these kind of situations? Pretty frustrating isn't it?
    \"This too shall pass\"

So sorry you had to read that stuff! I just wanted to say you are so lucky not to have any wisdom teeth! I'm supposed to have mine taken out but i'm scared for obvious reasons...had a friend who told me the same kinda stuff you read knowing that i have this phobia! Also i am one of the unlucky ones that is "allergic" to codiene. So yay for you for not having any!

You are so lucky not to have wisdom teeth. Mine are coming in at a bad angle, and I was supposed to have them removed years ago, but I am terrified of oral surgery. I won't do it unless they get infected or something.

sorry you had to read that! last week my dentist told me I should get my wisdom teeth out.. gave me the name of the doctor and everything... I'm just going to not call and schedule an appointment lol >.> I don't really care. I'd rather have crooked teeth then v*... and besides, who knows, they may go in correctly. the dentists take them out before they really know for sure if they will or not it seems...

I guess everyone is different..... I had 3 of my 4 wisdom teeth removed along with 2 other teeth to ease the over-crowding in my mouth. I HATE dental work so I asked to be sedated... I was fine when I woke up - felt a little light headed, kindof as if I was drunk - was quite funny actually!! Never v* or anything... I am soooooo glad I had it done - the anticipation is always worse than the actual thing coz we build it up in our minds!! I would say have the surgery done now.....

When are you supposed to get these wisdom teeth?? I don't think I have any yet & i'm 27... [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]I hate anything to do with dentists, they have butchered me in the past so I hope I never get them!!!

They sound awful. I'm sorry to scare anyone with that! The thing is, I CAN'T possibly be happy about not having any....now I have hypochondria induced mouth pain- haha. I'm only 17 so I could theoretically get them. They typically check people for them at 15-16 I think. It sounds basically like you're in the clear Sneezymonkey.
    ~~~Carolyn~~~

Also, I have so much empathy for all of you who have them and haven't gotten them out yet. I never got braces because I was scared, and guess what? My teeth grew in perfectly straight! I know wisdom teeth are different, but still, it can all turn out ok.
    ~~~Carolyn~~~

its the medication that makes them v*. and also some people get sick from the taste of blood. vicotin (sp?) is the WORST medication i think thats out there. everyone i know that has taken it has v* from it. seriously. i took percocet after i had mine removed and i was fine. just don't take more than the dosage is because that will make ur stomach upset. and if you eat before you take the meds it helps. nothing to worry about. sometimes people just get sick from the anesthesia and it has nothing to do with the medicine, but i think thats because they move around too much after they've awoke from it and it causes upset.

I guess Im lucky as my wisdom teeth came thru with no pain, no problems, nothing.

Not eberyone will have problems with them.

Laney xx

I'm 21 and I never heard anything about wisdom teeth being pulled on me. Maybe I don't have them. Anyway If they do come in I'm not going to get them pulled until absolutely the last moment. I'm not afraid of V*ing from them (well I am a little) but I'm more scared of the pain! Mouth pain is the worst! You can't eat! It's hard to sleep! It's just terrible! I've had surgery in my mouth before so I know how bad it is. I've never V*ed from it though I was just in terrible agony for a week. My sister however DID V* after getting her wisdom teeth out but she's one of those people who will puke all Willy Nilly just to feel better. So I don't know if she counts.

~Monica

PS: I know I said "Willy Nilly"
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I had an infected impacted wisdom tooth two years ago so I couldn't
    delay it any longer. I went to this dentist and he gave me some pills
    to take 30 minutes before coming in and told me not to drink or eat
    anything for 12 hours before (alarm going off in head!). So the morning
    of procedure I wake up and take the three pills (I think they were
    Xanax or something like it) and about 1 min later I fall over! Now I
    weighed about 120 pounds at the time and he gave me 3!!! So there I am
    on the floor, consious but unable to move or speak, drooling, my eye
    lids won't open and my eyes can't focus. Totally sketchy. I guess it
    shut off all muscle function or something. My boyfriend comes in starts
    laughing at me (he is now ex-boyfriend by the way). Carries me to car
    and brings me to doctor. I am anxious but kind of groggy. They were
    going to use laughing gas but I tell them I am an emet. After that
    things were pretty hazy, they were doing there thing and I remember at
    one point I gagged because this woman held her suction thing right next
    to the back of my throught. They all jumped back! I remember thinking
    it was funny. They came back and I gagged again. They asked me if I was
    ok and I told them to stop shoving that thing down my throat. After
    that it was smooth sails. I just took advil for the pain because didn't
    mind pain as much as possible side effects. I think I could have done
    it all with just novocain, but then again who knows.

I do hope I won't have to have any more of them pulled out any time soon.

I have all four wisdom teeth that need to come out, and I don't want to have the surgery. They told me that I'd have to go under general anesthesia, so with that AND the painkillers, I'm anxious about it! My sister had hers taken out and was put under. She didn't feel n* from the anesthesia, just a little disoriented and groggy. The codeine, however, was a different story. She felt really n* from it - I don't think she v*, but she thought she was going to. She stopped the codeine pills and it went away. If that's what happens, I'd almost say forget the painkillers altogether and deal with the pain rather than get sick - but on the other hand, extreme pain can make you v*....Aaaaa! I hate being so fearful of this kind of stuff - I hate being an emet too!

When I eventually get mine out (if I have to--3 have come in, just waiting on the 4th), I will just take Advil or something for pain. I have no desire to take the strong stuff. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.