Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Flying

Hey, you guys have no idea what a relief it is to find this forum, I thought I was the only one with this fear! I was wondering if you could help me. Soon i'm flying on a long-haul flight, which in it's self is no problem, but i'm terriefied of having someone near me or seeing someone vomit. I would like to be able to enjoy this flight with out worrying or getting anxious about this problem, any ideas?

Welcome!

I recently went on a flight to Spain, which was 9-10 hours. It provided little TV's on the backs of your seats with headphones, so I could watch movies and TV. However, when I don't have that I usually have my walkman with me, maybe some books or magazines, something to distract both my eyes and my ears. Hope that helps!

P.S.- make sure you drink lots of water!!!!!! You want to stay hydrated on long flights at that altitude.

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Thank-you for those idea's, i shall be using them. Does anyone else get that really bad trapped, want to get the hell out feeling when they think someone is about to V*? I hope this doesn't happen on the plane.

Yes, I get that feeling all the time when I fly, especially when the seatbelt sign is on and I can't even run to the toilets to hide!! I've done quite a bit of flying and never seen anyone v*. Planes are very stable and have good systems to identify pockets of bad weather so you'll feel very little movement. In fact, very few people suffer motion sickness these days while flying, so I've heard.

My few times flying weren't so great. I actually kinda enjoy flying although haven't done it to many times. So to think that the very few times I did a guy had gotten sick while on the plane..I couldn't see it but being enclosed like that wasn't great. I just kept my nose in my coffee. When the plane stopped (some people got off some stayed on) I made sure I moved closer to the front thinking it might help being that maybe people get sicker in the back of the plane. So I thought I was safe until a family with kids sat right across on the other side and sure enough one of the kids got sick. Pretty much was a flight from hell. I don't think v_ is really common when flying. People fly all the time and don't experience what I did. Not sure why it happened with me. I got through it fine though. It wasn't a real long flight either...grr. Im sure you will have better luck!

I have flown a lot of times, and maybe once did I witness someone using an airsick bag, and it was a kid. I just don't think it happens much. Like everyone else said, bring things to keep you busy, and listen to music or watch a movie. Have fun!

Yeah it would be horrible to be trapped in a plane while someone was v*ing. Especially if it were like the person next to you.....gah! I don't even want to think about it.

That being said, after the flights I've experienced I don't know why someone would feel n* on a flight unless they were already sick with something. I was even once on a flight that took off during a thunderstorm so there was turbulence, and it turly didn't feel any worse than driving over pot holes or on a gravel road in a car.

For me the worst part about flying is the inital stages of descent when they're jumping down pressure levels and making my ears feel like they're going to explode! Yee-ouch!

Thanks guys this had brought much relief. Does anyone else find that we have the worst luck with V*, when everyone else goes someonewhere they don't have to deal with it, but it seems it allways turns up near us. Just my luck that the person next to me will.Edited by: bfs44

im always anxious in airports cause i assume everyone is going to be
    throwing up but i love the flight once im on it. try not to worry about
    other people, my dad has been all over the world to so many different
    places all of his life and he has never once witnessed anybody throwing
    up. Nor have i and ive been on a plane 6 times now. just relax and
    enjoy it!!
    .: tonight i\'m letting go :.

I used to fly ALL the time, like 5 or 6 times a year for about a
    decade. Only once did I sit next to some guy (named Adam, from Denmark,
    why I remember that, I have no idea) who was flirting with me the
    entire 8 hour flight but when we started decending turned into the
    biggest baby and was saying he felt sick. I was quite nervous I think
    but mostly I thought, geez, here is this grown man (ok, maybe he was
    20, but then again I was like 16) and he doesn't seem afraid like I am
    and he is telling me all about his stomach. Arghhh! Emetophobe
    nightmare. But he didn't get sick and it was all well.

By the way, Adam from Denmark, if you read this and you are emetophobic, my deepest apologies and welcome to the club!

Hi, I am always anxious on planes, as I can't escape. I have flown over a hundred times and I always have that fear that someone who is sick will sit next to me. Only once, and that was last year, did I see someone v*. She wasa couple of rows ahead of me. That was on a 14 hour flight from Dubai to Sydney, there was nowhere to go, so I just had to sit there and concentrate on the film. The plane is so noisy that it is very unlikely you will hear anything. It's very rare that you would see anyone v*.

Hi I know what you mean, it is the only think I hate about going away! I have had bad luck. While queuing to get on the plane I was gettign nervous and then a little boy infront of me v*d I'm guessing cos he was so scared, it was horrible. Also I would take like a body spray I had a girl in front of me v*ing and it smelt horrible. I have flown about 10 times and twice I have experienced bad things. When I fly it is usual with someone so I make sure I reserve an isle seat and two seats on their own. Even though I have had bad luck I will still fly cos I think if I don't I wont see the places I want to see. Good luck just keep your mind on other things (easier said than done.)

I have exactly the same concerns and worry that if I fly I'll be stuck near somebody v*ing and won't be able to escape or worst still I would feel or get ill. Geez, I've never been travel sick in my life (36 years) and every time I travel I spend the whole journey worrying in case I get ill - that's just not rational is it?! Why do we do that???!!!

In the next few years I know that my fiance and I are going to be travelling to Canada to visit his daughter (she emigrated there two years ago - she's actually coming to stay with us for a month in a few weeks!). Even at this stage with the trip probably two years off I'm concerned about flying. Anyway I've been thinking I could put a few drops of tea tree oil and lavender on a hanky and if anyone gets ill, breathe through this for a while - hopefully the oils will both combat any germs and relax me at the same time! I would pop headphones on too so I couldn't hear anything and concentrate on a magazine or whatever was being shown on the tv screens.

The thing is we spend all this time worrying about the what ifs and when it comes down to it, everything is usually fine - so hope that's the case with you when you make your trip!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

The oils thing is a good plan. I want to go to Canada within the next year to visit my friend over there but I haven't been on a plane in years and it's terrifying! Maybe we could get seats together tcsarah?? Hehe me you and your bf and no one could sit near us. Perfect!
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.