Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: The guilt

I hate dealing with the guilt of emetophobia...

Ok, last night my boyfriend and I went over to a mutual friend's house to stay the night. He had work in the morning, so we went to bed at about 3. About 20 seconds after we were all tucked in, his mother called him and wanted to take her dog to theanimal emergency room because while she was cutting her toenails, the dog moved and his mom cut off part of the dog's toe. Daniel and I had to drive 20 minutes to his mom's house with the prospect of having to drive at least an hour to the nearest 24-hour vet, and we were both irritated, but him mostly because he had work.

I walked in and looked on the floor, and the dog had v*ed everywhere, and there was much blood in it. It startled me, but I was able to control myself after I made it to the other room quickly without thinking about it too much. (The dog had lickedher ownpaw and it made her sick, which is why there was blood in it).

There was much chaos about (mainly from his blubbering mom who loves that stupid dog more than her own children),but it turned out that Daniel didn't have to take the dog to the vet because she was going to be ok without professional treatment. Daniel had a headache because of all the irritation, griping, and chaos, and we went to sleep at his mom's house.

Daniel suffers from stress-induced nausea, and I guess the night did it for him because he got up from the bed and went to the bathroom and I could hear him in there. I wanted to at least stand outside the door and ask if he was ok, I wanted to be able to run in there and hold his hair back (he has long hair), but I couldn't. Either of those choices mean either seeing him v* or walking across the (now cleaned) spot where the dog had been sick. I could hear him whileI wasin the bedroom and I couldn't handle it anymore. I started to panic, cry, shake,and pull my hair, and finally he came in. I knew he didn't have any sort of virus, so I wasn't scared of him. He saw how scared I was and comforted me and hugged me until I stopped shaking, but I felt guilty and wanted to cry more out of shame because on top of his bad night, a crying, scared girlfriend is NOT what he needed.

I just felt reallyterrible because I was only adding to his problem rather than being there for him like a girlfriend should.

Ahh that doesn't sound like the best night....I didn't know emet. people have fear when it comes to dog v_ also. I guess i am lucky when it comes to that. So your boyfriend seems to get sick pretty easy... Don't worry ..Im sure he understands your phobia. Hope you get to feeling better!

I didn't know some emets DIDN'T have a fear ofanimal v*! I'm scared of any kind in general.
    Well, you learn something new every day I suppose!
    You're lucky nonetheless. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]Thanks for the well-wishing!

I wouldn't feel too bad about it. From my understanding, most people would rather be alone when they're v*, even non-emetophobes. Besides, he's a big boy, he can put his hair in a ponytail! Ha ha...you can be a supportive girlfriend by comforting him between his v* episodes and I'm sure he'd like it just as much.

I think most non-emets don't really need that much comforting when it comes to v*ing. I know it's a huge deal to us, but not to them. Clearly, he wasn't upset with you over it. It's great that he is understanding and took care of you afterwards.

It's true, I don't really think non-emets mind v* that much(which completely baffles me), my boyfriend can calmly and conversationally mention, "I think I'm going to p*" and just walk upstairs, do it, come back down and continue on with whatever he was doing like nothing happened! Meanwhile, here I am sitting curled into a ball with my hands over my ears so I won't hear him, just freaking out...and he's like, "What are you doing?" He knows what I'm like, he's used to my neuroses!

You are definitely not alone, valkyriegrl. I'm the exact same way. I hate even the idea of being around someone who is sick, let alone hearing or seeing "it", but my husband can eat immediately after he's v*ed. You're not the only baffled one.