Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have been feeling a bit frustrated with myself (or my psyche anyway) lately.

Whenever I am faced with a trigger or a situation that may lead me to panic, I do my utmost to try and keep my thoughts logical and calm. I try to think in a 'non-emet' way, and to get on with things.

But for some reason, even if my conscious mind is ok, my sub-conscious seems to go ahead with creating panic symptoms in my mind and body. I start all my little habits of teeth-clenching, swallowing, chewing gum etc. I also squeeze my stomach in a lot (to check for inner pain) and I poke it.

When this is happening, no matter HOW MUCH i tell myself that I haven't eaten anything bad, I haven't come into contact with anyone who is ill, or been anywhere that I could've picked up germs, my sub-conscious will not be convinced and continues to produce panicky symptoms.

I just wanted to know if anybody else has this battle with their 'logical'conscious mind and their irrational and illogical sub-conscious mind?? Or is it just me???[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Don\'t regret the things you have done - regret those that you haven\'t!

I have this battle everyday. I know exactly what you are talking about. Even if I have been in my house for a week straight, I still do this.

hey kimmy,

yes, I do also suffer from this, I battle with it most days, something about me knowing that I could be being irrational but my mind totaly takes over and unless I speak to someone or try something to calm it down it just keeps going on and on, im trying to get rid of those thoughts but they just keep on coming [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Oh i'm so glad you two can relate to that - its so annoying heh.. I'll be rationalizing things to myself consciously, saying all the right and sensiblethings, but its as if my sub-conscious doesn't 'trust' my conscious and it carries on triggering panic anyway..

I also stay in my house most weeks Daffodil - I 'work' from home, and when I do go out, its in my local high street - where home is never further than a block or two away at the most!!

Don\'t regret the things you have done - regret those that you haven\'t!