Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I know that a lot of people who have this phobia often complain of nausea because we fear v*ing so much. For this reason, this constant nausea that I've been experiencing has not been taken seriously by anyone. They just simply think it's because I think I'm going to be sick.

I don't think it's the reason though. About a year or two ago, I had an ear infection thatwas causingvertigo at night only when I was laying down. This in turn led to nausea. That ear infection has long ago cleared up and has been checked out by the doctor. Still though, I seem to get constant nausea, even when I'm car sick, that feeling doesn't seem to go away for the rest of the day. Non-drowsy gravol seems to do the trick for the most part but today I've taken two and I'm feeling really sick to my stomach. I don't think it's emet related because nothing has happened for me to believe I'm sick nor am I in any way fearing the idea of it because I don't believe I will. (I hope lol)

Do you think I'm only nausaus because of my emetophobia, or could it be something else? and how can I get help with it if people assume it's just the phobia?Edited by: valleymist

There was a period of time when I was feeling nauseous like all the time. I ended up seeing a Gastro Intestinal doc and they decided to do an endoscopy...I don't want to scare you because A) an endoscopy is not that bad they completely knock you out and B) not all symptoms will result in an endoscopy. They found that I had Hpylori and an ulcer, not to mention acid reflux disease and a hiatal hernia. They put me on meds for it and now I don't have any more problems. I would go see a doctor and not mention your phobia to him/her. Just explain that you are nauseous like all the time and you don't know what to do. It's so much easier to just go to a doctor then to speculate why you're feeling sick.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Laura, I had to laugh when I saw your topic. How can nausea EVER not be related to emet?

Nausea is actually a more perplexing problem than vomiting. There are a lot of home remedies out there. Since nausea is a very idiosyncratic problem -- there is even no agreed-upon definition of it -- it's frequently a matter of trying different remedies and seeing what works for you.

Fortunately, for emets, very often nausea is only in the head. Once you realize that you're not going to throw up, it becomes easier to ignore the nausea, and then it goes away.

There was an article about nausea in the New Yorker some years ago, featuring some people who had persistent cases of it.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks both of you! My doctor is no longer practicing, so I'll have to go to a clinic sometime.

Doug, I guess the title was a little funny now that I think of it. I guess what I was trying to say was that I don't think the nausea is in my head and when I was referring to emet I mean't emetophobia lol. Even when I'm completely aware that I won't v* the feeling never subsides.

In fact, at this moment I'm not nervous at all but my stomach feels horrible! I gave up on non-drowsy gravol, I had some peppermint tea and a hot bath which helped for a couple of hours and it's starting to come back.I suppose I'll take the drowsy one just so I can get some sleep tonight.