Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hello-

Lately, I have noticed that I have extreme difficulty going anywhere in the car. I start to panic wondering whether or not I will get sick or where I could gte sick and god forbid if my kids would have to see all of that.

I am very uncomfortable in unfamilar places or anywhere that is not with in 10-15 minutes from my home.

Like tonight, for example, my mother, husband, in-laws, and kids went out to dinner. Here I am typing because I was too afraid to eat, get intoa car, or be away from home. This is ridiculous.

I know this is anxiety related and panic attacks are my specialty, but if anyone could offer any suggestions or similar experiences, I would really appreciate it. We are supposed to go on vacation in a month and I am afraid this will affect that trip!

*Amy*

I have had the same issue for THREE YEARS!! I hardy ever leave the house. But with me it is byond the fear of v*, I am n* all the time. Literally every day for the past 3 years. i am too scared to even go to the doctor. It started when I got pregnant and never went away. i would have no problem going out if I didn;t feel so damn sick. Sorry I have no words of encouragement, but I wanted to know you are not alone. I sooo feel your pain! LOL

I am exactly the same! I think I am better these days but mainly because I do everything in my power to control where I go, how I get there, who I go with etc. My main fear is v* in front of others hence my avoidance of situations from which I can't escape. Sometimes I am ok, but it can vary daily depending on how I feel. There have been times when I have had to leave a restaurant because I can't even eat in in front of anyone.

I'm off on holiday soon too and worry about the journey. On the plane, I'm stuck, surrounded by others, a nightmare! Why not talk to your doctor about this? Or easier still, pick up some motion sickness tablets, they'll do the trick and ensure your fears don't materialise.

Hang in there, you're just going through a bad patch. Things do improve.

Thanks guys-

If we have to be in this situation, at least we are in it together!

Also, I am nauseous all the time! I finally went to the doctor and will be having the dreaded scope on Wed. I am hoping this sheds some light. But, I do encourage you to visit the doctor...I was scared for so long too. Until he can find the problem, he gave me reglan which has helped the nausea tremendously!

*Amy*

I deal with this quite a bit.

Sometimes I'm fine. Other times I can barely function. I think I've ruined plenty of vacations for my husband. Why are so many social functions centered around EATING! I freak when I have to sit a table forever in a restaurant and then I'm expected to EAT when my stomach is all jumpy.

We are taking a big vacation in July that will involve lots oftravel and time away from home. I'm already getting nervous!

I hope it helps to know that there are a lot of us out here.

Bandnerd

I understand what you are going through. I used to miss out on so much because my fear of v*ing in public led to bad agorophobia. I used to dread hoildays and be anxious the whole timeI was away, mealtimes were a nightmare as I had to sit in a room full of other people and eat when my anxiety was so high and I felt so nauseous.

I'm much better now as the anti-depressants I take help so much. I still panic about certain situatuions (like if I had to travel on a plane where those around me or me myself could v* and be stuck in my seat). I had to take a journey I was dreading three years ago, on a ferry to Ireland. I'd heard all these horror stories about how the Irish sea can get really rough and nearly everybody will get seasick. I was really anxious about it. I spent weeksworrying about the journey and getting churned up and when we actually went the sea was like a mill pond there and back - all that worry for nothing!

To help me feel better when travelling I carry certain things around with me in my bag: indigestion remedies, a small bottle of kaolin and morphine (always helps with nausea), my meds, peppermints, bottle of water... I've never been travel sick in my life but if I'm going by air or sea I take travel sickness tabs just in case - they give me more confidence, even though I probably don't need them.

It does get you down terribly feeling like this, but I hope it helps to know you are not alone. We support each other here any way we can [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

The worst is when you're at a catered dinner, like they have at wedding receptions and the waiters keep piling food on your plate and you really feel obligated to eat it because it will go to waste if you don't, but you're terrified it will make you sick, especially the meat! Restaurants are a big no-no for me - I've been told too many stories by friends of mine who also are employees at restaurants, seen too many things while working in the kitchen at restaurants to ever want to eat in one. I've seen cooks put frozen, raw chicken wings into the deep fryer without pre-cooking them(a VERYimportant step in making restaurant chicken), a co-worker once bragged to me that he'd make an entire hockey team sick, I've heard eyewitness accounts of people not washing their hands after their bathroom/smoke break/taking out garbageand then preparing food, I've seen cooks and waitresses drop entire orders on the floor and pick them and serve them, saying to me, "You never saw that." It's not urban legend or exaggerations, kitchen staff actually do things like this all the time!

One of my friends used to work in a kitchen and she said if a customer was rude the chefs wouldwipe (for example) their steak on the floor a few times then cook it. Or even spit in the soup or something equally as disgusting. You see these programmes on tv too where the hygiene in some restaurants is atrocious. Bleurghh.
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

I am exactly the same, Im uncomfprtable travelling anywhere new, but Im okish if Im going on a familiar route.

I hate motorways becos I think if I were to feel sick we cdnt stop the car, so Im happier on minor roads, god sometimes I feel like a freak!!!

Part of my problem I think is that I cant drive, I do think if I could drive and be more in control of a situation then I might be better. I keep saying I will learn but havent got round to it!!!

Recently I had to go on a training course and was offered a lift, I refused (motorways) and ended up going on the train. Im not too bad on the train as they have toilets (hahahaha) however on my trip home the girl behind me said to the person next to her she felt bad and thought she had food poisoning, well I made the BIGGEST mistake in turning round!!! Altho she wasnt v* she looked green and soooooo sick. As soon as the train emptied (its was rush hour) I moved a safe distance away. The silly thing is when I got off the train she was still sitting there looking green but hadnt v*, my super emet brain skills kept me updated to this fact, I must have superb hearing!!! Anyway I got thru it.

Anyway sorry Im waffling, I also working as a waitress for a year whilst studying but I rarely came across anything likje the horror stories you here, having said that siome of my colleagues (notme I can assure you) did have hygiene issues, not washing hands and stuff. EEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Laney xx

Every vacation I've EVER been on with my family, I've gotten sick. Not actually V*ing sick but a really bad upset stomach and really bad N*. It usually only lasts for one day and then goes away but it's terrible because I'm one of those people who likes to be alone when they are N* and there I am having to share a hotel room with my whole family. I've taken three trips by myself where I didn't get sick, so I'm starting to think it has something to do with the family...I get nervous when I travel but not as much when I'm alone cause that way if I get N* I can just be alone...you know?

I used to be like you, I wouldn't leave the house because of fear of getting sick in public but I finally convinced myself by saying, "How many times have you felt sick and actually V*ed outside of the house?" To date it's been NEVER *Knock on wood* So I still go out, but I prefer to be alone when I go out. Also I can't eat in front of anyone except my family which sucks because most of our family get togethers center around some really awesome ass food. But do what I do, just remind yourself that you won't get sick! Keep saying it to yourself over and over...at least it's helped me.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!