Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Now there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two, does there? Between the real nausea and "fake" anxiety-not-going-to-get-sick nausea. I was thinking about this, about how one can tell the difference, and to be honest I can't put my finger on it. For me, the only difference is when its real and I am going to get sick, its like my brain knows before I do, and I just know somehow that this is the real deal. I can be in denial, but like I just know, even though it can feel very much the same as anxiety nausea. I can't pinpoint what exactly the difference in feeling is? Do you notice a definate difference, or is it more obscure?

I'm going through the samething right now, I know it's not the bug I'm nausous like now I've had a headache for the past 2 days and when I get headaches I can tell you I get nausea, I also on my period which I think it's ending, but I can tell the difference like I feel nausea but not cramping just a weird feeling in my throat and I get a burning sensation at the top of my stomache or even pressure but I get like this for anxiety, But I def know the difference, But I think some people get way into what they are feeling and thinking they can't tell the difference, so you really think your sick with the bug but it's just your mind that adds onto the feeling so first it starts off I kinda feel like crap and then you think and it's a huge explosion OMG I think I really have the bug and it just gets worse and they can't seem to findwhat'sreal and what's not, hope you understand what I'm saying! but right now I know i'm not sick I felt nausous alittle while ago and then me and my boyfriend got into this big conversation I totally forgot about it, everything you do your mind play a part, but you have to learn to control your mind, but it isn't as simple as said espcially for for emets.

Anxiety and stress can trigger V* in some people though, so I hate it when people tell me that what I'm feeling isn't REAL NAUSEA. I know many people who V* when they are stressed out and then their stress level goes down after their body "gets rid of it".
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by purpleteacher
    Anxiety and stress can trigger V* in some people though, so I hate it when people tell me that what I'm feeling isn't REAL NAUSEA. I know many people who V* when they are stressed out and then their stress level goes down after their body "gets rid of it".

Well yeah in some people when they get anxious they get sick like that. Its just many of us get anxiety induced nausea, but we don't v* from it even if we can come close to it. What I meant was the difference between anxiety induced nausea and say like stomach bug nausea or food poisioning nausea which will more than likely cause one to v*, even emetophobes. WhatI mean is say like erm "mind induced" nausea. Thats what I mean by "fake", I didn't mean to imply that you aren't really feeling nauseas, because you are indeed, its just for most emets it won't lead to v*ing. I didnt mean to offend you, I guess its hard to explain it properly. Edited by: Galadriel

^^^No offense taken, I just wanted to point out that anxiety in and of itself can cause real nausea. Real nauseacan trigger V*, as some people really do V* when they are anxious. That was the point I was trying ot make.

In terms of the difference of the two types you mean, I really think it depends on the person. I know when I'm "sick-sick" that the nausea isn't relieved after I calm down. The nausea is almost always accompanied by other symptoms too.
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeah, I agree with Purple Teacher - when I have 'real' nausea, quite often its accompanied by other symptoms - like headache, d*, stomach cramps or feeling shivery.

Sometimes as well, like Galadriel, I get a 'weird' feeling before I get sick. I can't explain, but its similar to an 'aura' that you get before a migraine, just a strange feeling that something bad is about to happen. M x

You know, I can't really remember how actual n* feels, it's been so long since I've gotten sick. I know that I feel n* every day at some point, and it gets to the point where I sometimes get sweaty and panicky, but when that happens, I think, "Does my stomach actually feel what my brain feels right now?" in almost every case it doesn't, my stomach itself feels fine. When I mentally separate the mental aspect and the body, it usually goes away.

I read somewhere, a doctors report on v*. If you want to give yourself a test if you're going to v* or is nauseous. Try to drink water. If you can't swallow it, then you are nauseous and eventually will v*. It's a way of your body telling you, nothing is coming in because something is being evicted!

However, this could be less of a blessing and more anxiety. Because once I read this, I start flipping. You know how you throat tightens because of anxiety, it can easily be confused from an emet as the statement above.

Good luck!

this is a really good question and one I have been struggling with since my emet started. I STILL can't tell the difference between the two. And I usually get worked up thinking "this might be it."Most times it is NOT, but you never know...It is very frustrating.</font>

Quote Originally Posted by roxystar

I read somewhere, a doctors report on v*. If you want to give yourself a test if you're going to v* or is nauseous. Try to drink water. If you can't swallow it, then you are nauseous and eventually will v*. It's a way of your body telling you, nothing is coming in because something is being evicted!

However, this could be less of a blessing and more anxiety. Because once I read this, I start flipping. You know how you throat tightens because of anxiety, it can easily be confused from an emet as the statement above.

Good luck!

I have not heard that... Where did you find it? I know that with kids, if they don't drink milk and are complaining of an upset stomach - to worry. Kids usually won't drink milk if they are really sick. Teachers and nurses have told me this when I have sent kids down to the nurse complaining of being sick. Milk irritates the stomach and if you are really sick, the milk usually won't stay down.
    FACEBOOK ME --