Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I just wanted to share this with fellow emets maybe it will be encouraging to someone! May be a little bit graphic, but no actual v*.

A few days ago I had an appointment with my therapist in the morning. We've been talking lately about inducing v*, not with ipecac or anything, but just with lots of water on an empty morning stomach and sticking a finger down my throat. My fiance (who is wonderful) has been coming with me to lots of appointments, but he was in class this time so it was just me. My therapist asked if I had eaten anything yet that morning, and I said I'd had a granola bar like 2 hours ago and my pill. He offered to call a pharmacist to see if the pill would be absorbed at all yet, and I said sure. The guy thought that after only 15 minutes, very little or no absorption would have taken place. So we decided to start the procedure with no pressure to finish it! I thought I could handle that.

I drank a whole bunch of lukewarm water and we got me "in position" over the toilet. He had me practice sticking my thumb to the very back of my throat and pushing up to make myself gag. For the first quite a few times, I was chicken, and I didn't put my thumb quite to the back, so it just kind of made my throat feel weird. But when he challenged me to actually stick it all the way back, I did, and I gagged and had to swallow because I felt the water pass the first "obstacle"on its way up. I drank some more water because I kind of got a bit shook up by that feeling!

But it was amazing how relaxed I was after that. It's like even the feeling of almost letting go made me all loose and relaxed. My psychologist told me he had to do this exercise himself during his training, because it opens up the elementary respiratory tract and just makes you so relaxed afterwards.

I decided to stop and not try to actually v* this time. But every time I go to an appointment now, I am going to have no food for awhile before so if I decide it's the right day, we can go ahead and do it or just practice a few more times.

So I learned a couple things, from experience and from talking with my psychologist:

1. It is really REALLY hard to v* or even make yourself v* if your body doesn't actually need to.

2. If yourbody needs tov*, it WILL v*, and no medicine can probably stop that.

3. It's good for you to v* when your body needs to!

Using your thumb to induce V*? Huh??I have never heard of that technique... Can you elaborate a little more - even if just by PM. I have always been told to use fingers or use a blunt object (toothbrush, spoon, etc...). Just curious.

I'm glad you had a good session though. I am really curious as to how this technique actually relaxed you.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I say, anything that works tomake you feel more relaxed AND to have this logical stuff "click in " somewhere is a good way to go. Not everyone could do this - with their therapist or without. But I'm glad you trust him enough to keep trying, and that you are reaching some conclusions that help you. Good on ya!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

hey pianolover -would you object if I moved this to the Treatments section so others can see it? I'm not sure if there's some reason why you want it private, though.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Sure sage, feel free to move it to Treatments. I wanted it Private in the first place but afterhaving written it I realize I guess there's nothing terribly secretive in it! Hehe.

Purpleteacher, the way I did it was to get my thumb in a "thumbs up" position, with all my other fingersfolded up, and stick the thumb into my mouth with the rest of the fingers kind of resting below my nose. Kind oflike the hand position when you're pretending to drink out of a bottle maybe? Only your thumb goes all the way in. Hope that helps!