Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hello all, just wondering if any of you know much about the University of Sussex in the UK. My cousin will be attending there in October for a term. She is 19 years old and she lives in Fairbanks Alaska. She has looked things up about it on the net and has a packet from the school but it does not have much information in it. IS there anything she should bring? Is there anything she should be aware of? Do you think she will have a hard time fitting in as a black american? ANy information would be helpful. Thank you!

Taffy

I work in a University, although not Sussex. Have a look at this link:

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/students. There are linkson the left side of the page for visiting and exchange students, which explain alot.

I'm not sure if this is what she has looked at but there's plenty of information here and a FAQs section which might answer some of her questions.

There's also more information here too: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/internationalsupport

Your cousin could also contact the university's International Office by e-mail if anything isn't clear or she has any specific queries. She shouldn't worry about doing this as they are used to receiving loads of queries at this time of year.

I think the main issue that needs to be arranged first is accommodation. Providing she has somewhere to stay, then everything esle can be sorted on arrival. Is she in a Hall of Residence? And as for what to bring...just the usual really, clothes, money, any personal belongings etc. Plus of course any correspondence from the Uni.

In terms of fitting in, I doubt she will have any trouble whatsoever. Brighton is a cool city, one of the most cosmopolitan in the UK and used to many visitors from overseas. Britain too is also very multi-cultural and although racism is around, as it is all over, it's rare and most people whatever their ethnicity just kind of live in harmony - as cheesy as that sounds! She will really have no problems whatsoever.

I'm sure she'll enjoy Brighton, it's rightby the sea too, and she'll realise us Brits are very relaxed, easy going, and alot of fun!!

Feel free to PM me though if there's anything more you want to know. I can speed dial to the University from mine if necessary and speak directly to them if that would help.

Hey Taffy,

I can't really help you as far as the University is concerned... but I can definately say that what Suze has said about Brighton is spot on! Its a great seaside town, lots of quaint little side streets and boutique stores etc, and very cosmopolitan as far as the people are concerned!

I'm sure she is going to love it and have no problem fitting in and enjoying her surroundings!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Don\'t regret the things you have done - regret those that you haven\'t!

Hey thanks!
    The information you have given me has been ever so helpful. She did not have those links and I forwarded them to her. Again, thanks a million!