Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Today I was thinking about us emets - about how we fret over things that haven't even happened and probably aren't going to happen at all. Of course, I didn't come up with a way to solve that problem, but here's what happened that got me thinking about all this:

I was on this subway thing and as we were leaving the station I heard the announcement for the train going the opposite way and it said "there has been a medical emergency on your train, it is running late". Of course, my mind automatically flipped to a v* situation. I didn't think about the possibility that maybe someone had a heart attack and died, or had fallen and broken a bone - I could only think "what if someone v*ed?"

I think when any human being hears something about an emergency, we always think about the worst case scenario, but I just think its so peculiar that I think someone v*ing is worse than a deadly heart attack. It makes me feel bad to even say that...but I can't help it! [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Is this the kind of thing that your mind does to you, too?
    No life is wasted; the only time we waste is the time we spend thinking we are alone.

Last year, I'd gone into work one morning just to pick my paycheck up - it was around 9am. The only other person in the office that day was our receptionist.

As I'm goofing around on the computer, my co-worker came running into my office screaming that someone had cut themselves (we were having our gym equipment delivered). I went outside thinking some guy had just nicked his thumb - get out there and the delivery guy was literally spouting blood 2 feet in the air from his wrist. As he'd been cutting the plastic off the pallet, he punctured his artery in his wrist. The receptionist immediately goes into hysterics, screaming and crying, I grab paper towels from the bathroom (sorry, it's all we had at the time!) and grab this guys wrist while yelling at the girl to call 911.

The paramedics finally show up by which time the bleeding is slowed. Valerie (receptionist) is sitting pu**** into a trashcan in my office and was in shock. I deal with the p*** fine, and dealt with the guys wrist fine - I HAD to. Made the para's give Valerie a small sedative, turns out she is phobic about blood.

I drove home covered in blood, and my hilarious boyfriend cooked me pasta and tomatoes for lunch which nearly got chucked on his head. Meanie!

I know exactly what you are talking about, thinking that v* is the worst case situation. Yesterday at work, I was talking withthis guyon how my bf is a firefighter, and how I would like to be one if things were different. He asked what would have to be different, and I said, well I couldn't handle the first response part of it, because at the first sign of v* I would be flipping out hiding in the corner. He thought this was funny, and kept saying things like "so if you saw someone who's arm was hanging off or someone who had been shot in the head that wouldn't bother you?" I kept trying to explain it to him that it would gross me out but I could handle it, and if anything I'd be worried that the person's injuries would cause them to v*. He didn't seem to understand how I could be so bothered by v* and not by blood.

yes! whenever there was a "clean up" in the restaurant I used to work at, I always worried that it was some little kid (or adult for that matter) v*.
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

i konw exactly what u mean but on a bit of a smaller scale...

wen i am in a shopping centre or even at school, and someone has obviously mopped the floor, i imeediately think " someone was v*ed here, thats why theyve mopped the floor" i mean.. it cud jsut as easily be that there was a leak in the roof or that someone with muddy feet came in, NETHINg...

Jennxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I do the same thing. If someone calls in sick to work I assume it's stomach related, if someone says they don't feel well, I assume the same, stains on the floor in a store, freshly mopped floor like Jenn said, etc. I do the same exact thing! I think we're so anxious about it that we automatically worry about the thing that we'd most hate to see. Like when the phone rings in the middle of the night, a parent probably automatically thinks it's a car accident with their kid, you know? Oh how I wish I would react with indifference....
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

All of your responses sound so familiar to me! Along with the clean up calls and freshly mopped floors, the thing that also gets me are stains on carpets. You know at the airport there are stains everywhere? I ALWAYS assume it was someone's v*. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]
    No life is wasted; the only time we waste is the time we spend thinking we are alone.

I have to say that I still think the worse. I hear wet cleanup in isle (blah blah blah) and I think "OH crap!! someone has been sick" When in fact it is probably spilled juice or someone broke a bottle or something of the sorts.
    I hate when I see a freshly mopped "spot" or a big wet splotch on the carpet floor in the mall.
    Same when someone says they are sick and 90% of the time it is a cold.
    I find I am like that though in cases other than v**** ones. I heard a crash out side and automatically thought it was someone getting broken into and it was just a shopping cart. Or I hear the screach of tires and I amSURE it will be followed by a crash, but it is usually just someone being an ass and a peeling out.

Glad it isn't just me.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I think paranoia is just included in the phobia thing.I mean I absolutely can't set foot in this shoe shop near where I live because I had a bad v* experience there. It was really horrible because I'm sitting there and this woman is measuring my feet and this mum wheels a boy in a buggy up next to my seat, then he started crying and saying "Mummy my tummy hurts" and of course the brain of Hannah is going "Get away get away GET AWAY!!!!" But I couldn't because she was fiddling with my feet, then he started coughing and wretching,and I was like "yes these fit, I'll take a walk to see if they fit." And (I can't believe I did this but my mind was in shock) I ran out the shop door, still wearing the shoes and I set off the alarm, then my mum came and dragged me back to the seat and I'm crying by this time and then the boy v*ed all over the floor! It was so so horrible. I threw off the shoes and I just dragged my mum out of there. And everyone stared at me. I even forgot my shoes and mum made me go back for them, there was this whole pile of paper towels on the floor but you could smell it. *shudder* horribleness.

I think the same too. I wish i didnt becuz I get myself so worked up and it turns out that there was nothing to worry about anyway!

Same as everyone as said: recently mopped floors, stains on carpets, patches in the street etc.

Good point Melikasa... wen people say they are ill, most of the time its jus colds etc, but i still assume they mean its stomach related.

Rachel xxx