Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Broken Toe?

Let me start by saying that I know none of you are Dr's and I know some of you may tell me just to get to the hospital or whatever but I start a new job soon and I'm deathly afraid of both those things

So today somehow I trapped my foot in a door. Straight away the toenail bit where I hit it went blue (with blood....not cos I've killed it lol) and I've been in pain ever since. I put ice on it and took painkillers but it's still hurting.

I've text my friend who knows about sports injuries etc in the hope he knows what to do. Does anyone here know anything else to ease the pain a bit? I mean it's not unbearable but it's far from fun.

If it still hurts in a day or two this much or more then I will get it looked at. But if I can avoid it then I'd like to very much. I don't really think it's broken, just badly bruised. Help?

Edited by: hippychick
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Ouch!!! I can't tell you if it is broken or not, but I can sympathise with you. I broke my big toe when I was 9, playing elastics(French Skipping), then my little toe 3 times at Ju-Jitsu. Each time the whole toe went black and blueas well as part of my foot. Is your whole toe bruised? If it is then you should really get it looked at so you can have it strapped up properly. I know you really don't want to, but Iif it is really painful it may be an idea. Is it your big toe or a smaller one? I hope you feel better soon.

I don't think it is broken, maybe just bruised as the bruise is just on the toe, it's under the nail near the top which is the bit that got smooshed.. If I wake up tomorrow worse I'd definately think about seeking medical help to get it seen to. It's just f***ing typical when I'm already stressed to the max about starting a new job that this would happen.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

oh hippy, I have the worst luck with toes. Ive broken ALL of mine at one time or another, seriously. They have more toe xrays of me than anyone I know.

if you go to the hospital they can't do much for a broken toe. depending on the toe, they can make a tiny splint if needed. If it's a smaller toe, they've always just taped the broken toe to the toe beside it untill It healed.

You should probably go get it xrayed - just so you can tape it if you need to - and they might recommend you wear different shoes till its healed. I made the mistake of wearing the same shoes and now my big toe is a bit crooked.

deff keep it up, continue with the ice if you can. Take some ibuprofin for the pain and swelling if you have some!
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

oh ouch! I'm sitting here with a stupid sprained ankle myself - I fell down stairs at work on friday.

I wonder what painkillers you're taking cuz the best are advil (ibuprophen) or even aspirin as they are anti-inflammatory. Tylenol is pretty much useless and even codeine isn't that helpful.

Your toe will probably be ok. A good rule, I've heard...is that if it doesn't wake you up in the night when the Advil wears off then it will be ok. If it does, it could well be broken!

Not that a doctor would do anything with a broken toe anyway.

(I didn't go with the sprained ankle - just iced it, wrapped it, and I'm sitting around with it up watching movies and having folks wait on me...lol! The Advil worked like a magic pill, though.) Hope this helps.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh I'm sorry!!

I've done that before, if you can move your toe it sounds more like a bruise or broken blood vessel under the toenail. Be warned--your toenail could turn black and fall off, which is slightly gross but not dangerous. If that happens, then just keep it clean and wait for it to grow back. If you'd feel better then you could go to a doctor and get it x-rayed, but i don tthink it's broken. Ice usually works, and I like ibuprofen for painkillers.

Good lcuk!

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

A few weeks ago, I sprained my foot, right near the joint of the smallest toe. I am so incredibly accident prone. It's amazing I didn't break it. My doctor just wrapped my foot in a bandage and I wore a dorky orthopedic shoe for a week. The joint area is still a little stiff from time to time. I also have a bruise on my big toe, right up next to the toenail. Can you walk on it okay? If you can walk okay, I'm sure it's just bruised. If not, I would get it x-rayed. You don't wanna make it worse, right? [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img] I hope your tootsies feel better soon!

Isn't the rule that if you can move it it's not broken? I dropped a heavy plate on my big toe a few years ago and was ina lot ofpain and hobbling about for a few days. I took ibuprofen, it helped a lot.My toenail went black and eventually came off, which isn't as bad as it sounds!

I hope it stops hurting for you soon. And it's simply Sod's Law that it has happened just before you start a new job - life's just like that, well it is for me anyway! Good luck with the new job, by the way!

And, Sage, hope your ankle is ok soon too!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Thanks everyone for your advice. I guess it's just bruise though it still hurts it's not too awful. Honestly the first day I did itI was taking ibuprofen etc and nothing took the edge off the pain.[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] My leg is now hurting from walking strangly to accomodate the sore feet. Oh did I mention I have huge cuts on both heels from some stupid shoes? Well that as well lol. My poor abused feet.

I started my job today and I guess me limping was enough of an ice breaker hehe

Have been feeling really sick but I think it's hormones. I'm due on in 4 days. Blah.

I've broken my toe a few times, once or twice because a horse stepped on my foot...that's really not fun. I also remember times when I was a stripper and I wore these black knee high plat form boots and they pinched my toes so bad that the nails under each big toe turned black and fell off...EWW TMI I know! But like most people said, there isn't much you can do for a broken toe. It doesn't sound like your toe is broken though, don't be surprised if the toenail falls off though...blech.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

How's the new job going?

- Japanese proverb

Thanks for asking. I guess it's not going so badly. I'm a lil anxious tonight cos something i was eating had a bit of eggshell in it.[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] and it's freaked me out lol

Don't worry I've foundbits of eggshell in my eggy meals quite a few times over the years and it's never made me feel ill!

- Japanese proverb

SO there are a ton of responses on this already.. BUT.. from my experience, the doctor didn't do anything for my broken toe... I just had to ice, evelvat, and be creful.... I can sympethize w/ the pain though...

Also, watch your toenail.. I've lost a few fingy-nails, after they've been slammed in things.. (car door, truck door, and bedroom door...I'm much more careful around doors now)... anyway, the fingernail turned black and blue.. superpanful.. (I had to have it punctured to relieve the preassure) and then the nail just eventually fell off...

gl(at least when the nail falls off, it is not painful)
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...