Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Crazy?

I was just thinking, are we really crazy? Or is the rest of the world? Think about it.

We drive on the wrong side of the road (Well in the US we do) but it's ABNORMAL for us to go to Europe and drive on the other side. In fact my mom almost got hit by a car in London by looking the wrong way down a street before crossing. Does that make everyone in Europe crazy? Or does that make them normal?

Then you think about killing people. If everyone killed one person and that was accepted as the norm then it wouldn't seem crazy. Actually if everyone could kill one person and get off then population control would be in place...LoL not that I'm thinking about killing anyone.

There was even a discussion on ER I think where one of the doctors said that in the animal kingdom it's not uncommon for some species to eat or kill their young. And she said "When a mother kills her children people say it's horrible but maybe she was just acting out some sort of primative urge."

Anyway...it just got me to thinking that maybe we aren't "Crazy" Like we like to lable ourselves...maybe WE'RE all normal and everyone else is crazy...anyone have any opinion on that?

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

You mean are emets the sane ones, and non emets are the crazy ones? I have thought this from time to time...
    You bring up the most iteresting topics, Monica.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I think that type of thinking tries to justify having this phobia, or normalize it. Once you start to think that it's okay to avoid certain people, places, or things because of this phobia, there is no real incentive to get over it, or to make positive changes. If we were the 'normal' ones- then why would we expend a great deal of time and energy worrying about something or creating routines that others don't? Hell, if that were 'normal' I would rather be abnormal anyday.

Yes, all of our habits and thought processes relating to certain events are to an extent culturally and socially constructed- even mental illness. However, if this phobia is causing stress or any problems relating to your life, then it shouldn't be considered 'normal'.

Interesting idea though

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeah I do come up with some "out there" topics but I'm a constant thinker. I just think that maybe it's sane to have a fear of something. A primal fear or whatever you want to call it. I mean there is a reason why birds fear snakes, and why zebra's fear lions, it's a survival thing. I mean what if we have evolved to the point where our brains tell us, "V*Ing is bad...it can lead to death" Ergo...we are afraid of V*ing....?

~Monica

The problem with that it vomitting IS good- our bodies do it for a reason, and in certain instances (the injestion of alcohol and other poisons) it can mean the difference between lifeand death.

I think that an evolutionary fear of spiders and snakes can be relevant, as contact with some of these can kill a human. But our bodies do need to vomit, so it is not logical to fear it. That, and it is extremely unlikely to kill you.

Bah.......I have cat hair up my nose. Damned cats.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monica you remind me of my best friend from junior high and high school. She and I both had gaps in between our two front teeth and she said maybe that's the way everyone was supposed to be, maybe we had 'normal' looking teeth and all the people with gaps didn't. I ended up getting braces. Anyhow, I know this didn't have a whole lot to do with what you were talking about, but thanks for bringing back a great memory.

Interestingly enough, most of my phobia issues came from making the association vomiting = death. This mainly came from the fact that when my best friend had a very severe sv once, she ended up nearly dying from dehydration, and having to be rushed to the emergency room to be revived and saved. So...you know...in a way it was a little logical to fear, but I agree about justifying, etc.
    ~~~Carolyn~~~

that is an interesting point! I was wondering before if emets are maybe just more connected with instinct? Since instinct is to avoid having to v*... because it means something is wrong in the body... maybe emets just have more of a connection to that instinct and take it too far? I don't know. But this is a good topic to think about!

I had a friend that got really sick with a sv once and I remember that I wasn't allowed to play with her for like a week afterward cause my mom was afraid I might get it. But I remember her class made her get well cards and one of them had a picture of an overflowing barf bag on the front (It was drawn in marker so it was more cartoonish then gross) and on the inside it said, "Please stop puking, the barf bag is full" LoL!! I don't know WHY I just thought of that but I always thought it was really funny.

Anyway back to the point. Growing up my sister would always get svs like ALL the time. She would get them really bad, she would get totally dehydrated and have to go to the hospital. That always bothered me and put this bad thought into my head that V*ing is really bad. Cause I rarely V*ed when I was a kid and I swear I heard my parents saying "It's not NORMAL for her to be V*ing this much" so maybe it's NOT normal to V*. All I'm saying is normality (Is that even a word?) is all relative.

If everyone wore socks on their hands then it would be normal, but since they don't if one person does it, it's crazy. Get my point?

~Monica