Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

1) i was wondering if without snti emetics do you think emets can stop themselves from v* ?? cos people say i nearly did but i held it back and how do you stop it?

2) im on stemetil, and i was wondering if anyone had caught an SV* while on it? and if so did it stop the V* and what did it feel like?

xxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1) I think its possible that some people can, my friends dad had a sv in the winter and he stops himself v*, he finds it beeter when he lays down and he won't give into it, but her mum also got it and just let herself v*, same with my friend she prefers to, to get it over and done with.

2) Yes i've known 4 people who had a sv and have taken stemetil and its stopped them v*.

TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1) Not sure, as most people I know just let themselves v* when they get an sv*, as they get relief once they v*, as they are not EMET.

2) I have had three sv* over the past couple of years and have taken Stemetil which has stopped me from v*. The last one I had was pretty bad, I felt really ill for a week and even though I didn't v*, I think it might have been better if I had, as I had to fight it for about 3 days non-stop, I never want to go through that again and is part of the reason why I am so paranoid about catching another sv*.

My mum took Stemetil when she had an sv* and it didn't stop her v*ing, so I guess what works for one might not work for another.

I agree, i mean i think it all depends on the dosage to..or the time you take it, as you have to remember the tablets has to go into the stomach first, then it goes into the bloodstream, so if you took it like a few mins before you v* it may not work as it wouldn't have time to start working. My mum had one last night as she felt very n* and it took about an hour for them to kick in, then she feel asleep.

Edited by: xroofusx
    TEA!! IS AMAZING!!
    indeed it is! :]

I remember reading about a lady in the Gut Reaction (an emetophobia support group) Newsletters I used to receive through the post a few years ago. Her therapist had asked her to make herself sick to see if it improved her condition. She was given a special mixture to drink at home in the evening which was an emetic, she took it as directed but she didn't v*. Now this mixture should make anyone v* but she was so very terrified she just couldn't. She said she felt so very nauseous and after a few hours of feeling like this just wanted to get it over and done with so she drank some salt water, but still couldn't v*! She said she had never felt so ill before in her life, and that it was a total and utter nightmareas she felt so sick but just couldn't v*. I personally can't get my head around the fact that some therapists ask emetophobics to make tthemselves sick, as I think in some cases this can backfire and make an emet even worse. This lady said the one thing she did get out of this nightmarishevening of trying to force herself to v* was the reassurance that she had a pretty tough stomach and capacity for not v*ing, so that helped her cope with her phobia a bit more!

.•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

I think we can, for the most part. There was another thread on here where a few people talked about that. I think it was one of the sv threads. It's something about controlling your breathing. Gumdropper seems to know a lot about that, so you might want to PM him with the question, or maybe he will respond to this thread.
    I know there have been times where I was ill, and actually was willing to let it happen, and it didn't. I was so n* one particular time any 'normal' person would have v*. I think emets have a lot of control over it, if they choose. I doubt it's foolproof, but along with antiemets, I think we have a pretty good chance!

I can. I've done it soooo many times, when I was at the brink of v* and somehow I managed to reverse it through concentration, deep breathing, visualizing being hungry, thinkinghard about something else - sometimes reading a book helps, because it gives your brain a distraction. I take an antacid - I know antacids aren't anti-emetics, but I find that if I believe that it will make my stomach feel better, it happens! Dealing with that horrible n* stomachache is definitely not fun and requires a lot of mind work, but it's better than the alternative. I know in my mind that it if I could only vomit I'd feel a lot better, but then the emetophobia takes over,and I just can't do it, I have to do whatever I can to keep it from happening.

Hello there!

We most certainly can!!! I can confirm this as I have had emotophia all my life and have never ever V* My mum said I did when i was a baby but I have nomemory of ever V*. I don't use any anti sickness tablets (apart from when i had an operation once and I was terrified I would react to the injections they gave me to put me to sleep) I just concentrate so hard when i feel poorly that I am not! Perhaps as I cannot ever remember V* that I just don't know how. Im not sure!!!Mostly I will lie on my bed some times for days. The down side is that when I catch tummy bugs I normally feel pretty rotten for a long time!