Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I am 7 months pregnant right now and so for I have made it the entire time without vomiting. There were times when I felt that I was going to, but it never actually happened. My concern is, I heard that people vomit during labor and it is really starting to freak me out. I think that the pain will be bad enough, and then to have to vomit too, I don't know if I can handle it. Is there anyone out there that has experienced labor and vomited or not vomited? Either way, I would like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks

Hi, and welcome! I have two kids, and did not v* with either delivery. The first one was induced with pitocin, and they gave me fentanyl for pain, which can make some people n*, but it didn't do that to me. The second was all natural, no pain meds. If you are concerned about it, you could talk to your doctor/midwife, and ask for a shot of antiemetic when you go in to have your baby.

two kids no v* in pregnancy or delivery

good luck

lyndsayanne

i have had 2 kids and no v during pegnancy or labor. i talked to my dr ahead of time and he had meds waiting for me when i requsted them.

Ah I know how you feel. I am 6 months and have the same fear but I rarely here of emet. people vomiting. I wouldn't worry. My sister is a lot more sensitive stomach wise and has had 3 babies and even experienced a sudden drop in blood pressure and never got sick. Some people get sick if there blood pressure drops really low. I bet you will be fine but you will have to let me know how your labor goes. Good luck.

2 babies, and no vomiting. I don't think you'll find an emetophobe who vomits in labour! (It's not necessary - it's just a reflex-response, and so this situation will not result in vomiting when there is a strong "will" not to.) So you don't have to worry at all.

Besides, in this day and age...if you've got terrible labour pain and it's making you feel queasy, you can ask for an epidural and then you can just sleep through it!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 babies and no v*. I am 37 weeks and 3 days pregnant now...

Please dont stress over that. You will be focusing on more important things like your sweet little baby![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Hi..i have 2 kids and neither with both. I did have phenergan during one preg for morning sickness, and for both labors I had anti-emetics, compazine and reglan. ALWAYS ASK for some as soon as you can and that way you will be "safe." Take care.........</font>

I just had my 3rd baby,...she is 2 months. I had C-sections with all of them and my Dr. knew about my phobia and prepared ahead of time. The anesthesiologist gave me pre operative anti-emetics that they don't normally give due to my phobia. One of them was IV Zofran which is one of the strongest ones along with phenergan. They even had special notes in my chart post operatively that if I complained of nausea to be given the meds immediately!!,......

I posted a similar thread here a while ago on this.

I'm 20 weeks pregnant with my first and TERRIFIED of labour because of the v*! It scares me more than the thought of the pain to be honest and I'm seriously considering trying to get through without pain releif so that I'm not s* as I've heard Gas and Air and Pethidine can both make you s*.

I had quite bad n* for the first three months of my pregnancybut never actually v* (Thank God). But I do tend to feel n* when I am scared, stressed or in unfamiliar and frightening situations and I'm pretty sure my first labour will be all of these!!! I would prefer to have had my baby at home or in a midwife led centre as they are less "scary" than hospitals (I can't stand hospital wards in case someone v* near me!), but I am not allowed as I have been advised to continue taking my prescription Seroxat (Paxil in the US) and I now find out that I will have to have a monitored delivery in a hospital ward (no birthing pool or natural methods) and the baby will need to be monitored after birth for signs of withdrawal! This is really upsetting me!!!

Do you think having the baby in hospital will be the best thing - as there are antiemetics etc on hand? They obviously wouldn't have any drugs in the borthing centre other than pain killers. I really hate hospitals (to me there are just places full of v* and illness!) and am terrified of being in one to have my baby especially if I am s*!

When I try to bring this up with "normal" mums or at my ante natal class they just laugh at me and say "Oh everyone v*s in labour, its normal, it helps you dilate and helps your waters break"/You won't notice it when you're in labour"/"you'll feel better after you do"/"You should just be glad you're having a baby" etc etc etc . . . I'm sorry but this is NOT what I want to hear! All emets know that what we need is reassurance!!

Is labour always accompanied byN* and V*, even for those like me withweak, nervous kinds of stomachs?! Is it worse forpeople who (like me) have hadN* in their early months?

Quote Originally Posted by ladymoonlight

I posted a similar thread here a while ago on this.

I'm 20 weeks pregnant with my first and TERRIFIED of labour because of the v*! It scares me more than the thought of the pain to be honest and I'm seriously considering trying to get through without pain releif so that I'm not s* as I've heard Gas and Air and Pethidine can both make you s*.

I had quite bad n* for the first three months of my pregnancy*but never actually v* (Thank God).* But I do tend to feel n* when I am scared, stressed or in unfamiliar and frightening situations and I'm pretty sure my first labour will be all of these!!!* I would prefer to have had my baby at home or in a midwife led centre as they are less "scary" than hospitals (I can't stand hospital wards in case someone v* near me!), but I am not allowed as I have been advised to continue taking my prescription Seroxat (Paxil in the US) and I now find out that I will have to have a monitored delivery in a hospital ward (no birthing pool or natural methods) and the baby will need to be monitored after birth for signs of withdrawal! *This is really upsetting me!!!

Do you think having the baby in hospital will be the best thing - as there are antiemetics etc on hand?* They obviously wouldn't have any drugs in the borthing centre other than pain killers.* I really hate hospitals (to me there are just places full of v* and illness!) and am terrified of being in one to have my baby especially if I am s*!

When I try to bring this up with *"normal" mums or at my ante natal class they just laugh at me and say "Oh everyone v*s in labour, its normal, it helps you dilate and helps your waters break"/You won't notice it when you're in labour"/"you'll feel better after you do"/"You should just be glad you're having a baby" etc etc etc . . . I'm sorry but this is NOT what I want to hear!* All emets know that what we need is reassurance!!*

Is labour always accompanied by*N* and V*, even for those like me with*weak, nervous kinds of stomachs?!* Is it worse for*people who (like me) have had*N* in their early months?*

I would *try* not to worry about v_ during labor. I know its not easy as I fear this too but I really think us emet. have a great tolerance. Plus there are greats meds out there available for us....I am 25 weeks and think about this here and there. I am sure I will more close to the time but many women also "dont" get sick. Seems like we just hear of the ones that do. Most people don't mind v_ so if they even feel like it they just let it happen without thinking twice. But as you and I know we definitely don't think the same. Hang in there and try you best to not worry about that. I bet we will get through just fine.

Amber

My mum never felt eventhe slightest bit of N* in either of her two labours. And she had all the drugs they could offer!! But then she had noN*in pregnancyand I've had lots of N* so I'm not sure whether I'll be like her or not.

She has a slightly "nervous" stomach like me though.

My midwife says V* in labour is not as common as I think it is and can be controlled to some extent by not eating when you're in labour. It seems more linked to using Pethidine and Gas and Air (Entonox) from what I can work out although I guesssome women might use too much Gas and Air which is why they are S*. Also I guess the advantage of being in hospital is that I can hve antiemetics. I had them after my Laparoscopy (under a General Anaesthetic) last Novernber (after badgering and pestering the doctors like mad!) and I was fine, just a tiny bit queasy (didn't V*).

I'm just scared as I don't know what to expect. I'm too scared to hope I'll be like my mum as she never had Morning S* and I have!