Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

hi everyone

im feeling really guilty right now because i had to cancel some shifts at work. heres what happened:

this comming week i have three exams before summer (yay summer!!). i have one on monday (tomorrow), one on tuesday and one on thursday. however, i just called work to find out when i am working next week ( i am a dishwasher at a golf course. its glamourous, i know lol). anyway, they said i am working monday, wednesday and friday. friday is not a problem since i will be all done my exams but i absolutely could NOT work monday and wednesday. i called them back to get the phone numbers of other people who i could try and switch shifts with but my boss was just like "oh, its okay. dont worry about working. we'll find someone.,etc.". i just feel terribly (sp?)guilty that i had to cancel, especially because this is not the first time i havent been able to come into work. i dont want them to think i am not dependable and i definatly don't want them to hate me because they think i can never work. it almost would have been better if they had yelled at me instead of being so nice. im afraid that they were only pretending to be nice to cover up that they dont like me. it would absolutely kill me if i found out that the people at work didnt like me, because i like them all alot. i have a really low self-esteem so i am constantly worrying about these things.

so sorry for the long post. i just need re-assurance. i hope you all had a great weekend

-hayley xoxo
    ~*~ all is fair in love and war ~*~

After working in the restaurant business off and on for ten years, I will offer this advice:

It's true that the managers are probably somewhat annoyed. However, most of the decent ones understand the importance of school, versus work. So unless they are real buttheads, they will understand. But I will tell you that the best way to get back in their good graces is, once school's over, try to take shifts if another employee needs it and work hard. Don't slack. That way, employees and managers will be more accepting of time you need off.

I've been in the situation where I've had to cover shifts for school students. I don't mind it, as long as the person doesn't take it for granted, and is willing to help others out if they need it too.

Maybe I'm not sugar-coating, but I am just telling you how it really is in the restaurant biz. I hope everything works out well for you though, and sincerely, good luck on your exams! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree w/ HDogg.. it stinks covering for people who call out and expect you to cover for them, but then are never willing to cover for other people. You can make it up in the summer, I'm sure. B/c w/ all the nice weather, people are bound to be "sick". lol
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

thanks for the replies it will be okay. ill definatly make it up to them. and my boss definatly is not a mean guy. he's actually really great so i guess he'll understand.
    ~*~ all is fair in love and war ~*~