Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Music Festival

Hybrid View

Last year my husband "surprised" me by getting us weekend camping tickets for a music festival. It was actually called "The V Festival" and this was a very appropriate name for it. Anyway, I went for my husbands sake as he was so excited about it. I tried so hard to enjoy it, but there really was too much v*. We had only been out of the car for 5 minutes and were walking towards the campsite when a man v*d, obviously from too much alcohol.

There was no escape from the v*. There were thousands of people there and most had been drinking heavily. Luckily my husband does not drink. Even in the campsite you could hear people v*ing. Luckily someone in the tent next to us had a very noisey drumkit. My husband was moaning about it when we were trying to sleep, but I was secretly pleased as it drowned out lots of unwanted noises.

Somehow I survived, but not without some big panics and also making my husband walk for miles to the nearest supermarket to use the toilets as I could not use the ones there.

Whilst we were there,my husband had an accident with the camping stove and set fire to all the grass around the tent. I was trapped in the tent and had to try and smother the flames with a blanket, but this was no where near as traumatic to me as seeing all the people v*. The music (so my husband tells me) was good, but I did not hear much as I was sat in my husbands giant waterproof jacket, with the hood up trying to hide.

By the end of the weekend my husband seemed a bit more understanding of my emet, but a few months ago he told me he had ordered tickets again for this year as it would be good exposure therapy for me. I was not sure if he really had or not, but sure enough I have had confirmation of the tickets through the post. I am already really nervous even though the festival is not until August. My friends say they would love to go and can't work out why I don't want to. I would gladly give them my ticket. I love my husband so much, but I think he could sometimes be a little more understanding. He saw how upsetI was last year. I will go for himthough. Why can't I be normal and go and have a great time?

What a shame. I have to say, my Husband is really keen to go to a music festival but i am put off by the v* and general toilet situation. I went to see Eminem at Milton Keynes Bowl a few years ago, and the place had been barely open for 5 mins and the toilets were in the most disgusting condition, so much so thatI walked over the road and squatted down a ditch!!!

It is strange because if you weren't an emet you probably wouldn't have noticed or been aware of all the people v* - we almost tend to look out for it don't we?
    Will this last forever????

I think i would have to pass on the festival and let him take another friend to the puke fest!!!!!!!!! Sorry, but tha'ts not good exposure therapy, it would only freak me out more!!!!!!!!!!! Unless of course you think it would help you any. He should be alittle more understanding towards your fears, but then again, we are dealing with men here, and most men don't understand how we feel. But anyway, if you go, i wish you luck and hope that you can enjoy the music...but if it were me, i'd tell him to take a friend
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Oh man! I was gonna invite one of you guys on the board.

*Throws out tickets to Puke Fest '06*

Curly, to be honest, even if I was not an emet, it still sounds horrendous!! (yeah ok, I'm getting old!). I know how you feel about going along for him, but still, it's a huge ordeal for you and I think you should consider talking to your husband honestly about how this will not help your fear...it didn't seem to help last year so why will this year be different? Does he not have a friend he could go along with?

Just try talking to him, he might understand. You're not letting him down, just remember that. He knew how hard you found it last year so IMHO it's a little unfair to put you through it again.

Thank you for your replies. I really don't think I am going to be able to get out of going. I don't want to upset my husband as he is so excited about it and since he spends so little time at home he does not have many friends and the ones he does have would not go with him.

I think it is very true that we are looking out for v*, as my husband did not see nearly as many v* incidents as me. There were 3 he could not miss, but he thought they were funny, especially when a girl v*d in her wellington boot. I could not see the funny side of it. I changed places with my husband so I was not so close to her. When someone threw a beer and it landed all over me, I was in tears as I was convinced someone had v*d on me. It was horrible.

The festival will definately not help my emet in any way, but I would feel so guilty if I let my husband down. He works away for all that time and deserves to do something he wants to do. I will have to make it clear that this is the last time though. It was a wonderful feeling to arrive home last year. I realised just how lucky I am to have the luxury of a clean bathroom and toilet.

I will try and talk to my husband about it as he is understanding usually, he just finds my emet hard to cope with. He always likes everything to be perfect.

Curlywurly, that sounds like my worst nightmare!! If you absolutely have to go, take some earplugs with you. Ok, they won't stop you seeing anything but you'll have a more restful night. (also helpful if your husband is a snorer, lol) I always made sure I had some on the few occasions I've been in hospital.

I suppose the only comfort from the v-fest is that it isn't contagious, so you're in no danger!

Yuck, I can't imagine anything more terrible for you! I am so sorry! I hate that trapped feeling you are probably experiencing too. I think the earplugs suggestion is a great one. There's a possibility that no puking could happen this time- you never know. Maybe there will be less drinking.
    ~~~Carolyn~~~

My fiance is big into his music and likes going to the odd music festival. I always send him off with his mates! He's perfectly fine with it as he knows I hate crowds and will probably be exposed to v*ing people, and I hate camping! I do go to music festivals if we don't have to stay over night.

I think you need to have a good talk with your hubby and explain just how effected you are. He isn't being very fair putting you through this again when you had such a miserable time last time.

If you really have to go, the earplugs suggestion is a good one or maybe take a personal player so you can fall asleep to something relaxing, whilst drowning out any noises. And to stop you seeing as well could you buy some really dark sun spec? Lol, just a thought!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Default Re: Music Festival

I know this post is reallly old now but i'm going to V Festival this year and i'm very anxious about it!
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to end, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Default Re: Music Festival

I guess that's why they call it... The "V" Festival.