Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: OCD question

okay..is this OCD.

sometimes if i'm talking to someone, or i hear someone talking, on tv
    or anything like that. and a sentence sticks out to me. i count it out
    on my fingers until the words fit perfectly on ten fingers. if that
    makes anysense. ill go backwards or anything. and if i can't do it, or
    it takes me a while, i get really anxious and breath faster and faster
    until i can succeed.

OCD?
    or me being crazy?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OCD, like all other anxiety disorders, runs on a continuum...from very very mild tendencies which "normal" people can have - even occasionally - all the way to very severe where the person can't function without being institutionalized. What you're doing is a little bit farther along the scale than "normal", but not alarming. Since you're on the emetophobia website, you obviously already have an anxiety disorder (emet), and OCD tendencies are often just another symptom of that.

At this "early" stage, it's perhaps possible for you to simply stop doing this, and monitor how high your internal anxiety goes if you don't do it. If your anxiety becomes intolerable, and you feel a very strong compulsion to count on your fingers....then perhaps your OCD symptoms are more severe.

The "good news" in all of this is that the treatment for OCD and for phobias is exactly the same....learn to tolerate what makes you anxious, little by little. OCD sufferers have to tolerate not doing the rituals and learning to relax, etc. Phobics need to tolerate very gradual exposure to what they fear or avoid.

I hope this helps. In short, don't worry too much about this. It doesn't sound very serious at this point.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.