Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Well I have good news & thought i'd share it with you all!

I have been oohing & ahhing about taking my 2 year oldlittle girl to the swimming baths for a while now.. she is petrified of water, baths & showers but has shown interest in watching other kids swimming in our local pool which is about 300 yards from home, so today I took the plunge *excuse the pun* & braved the baths!! She was wary at first & screamed to go home but after a bit of coaxing she ran to the pool & nearly jumped in! I was so shocked, I could have cried! So I got her in & sat her on the steps with her armbands on& told her to splash about. Then we went into the middle of the pool & she absolutely loved it - shouting 'amazing' & 'exciting'. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

This is such a triumph for me as I don't usuallyhave the confidence to take her to such a public place on my own & to think of all the germs that could be knocking about in the changing rooms but strangely enough my emet didn't even enter my head while we were changing OR while we were swimming!! [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]

I think i'm gonna take her on a more regular basis now, even maybe taking her to Aqua Tots so she can meet other kids... just hope my emet doesn't rear its ugly head while im there!!

Awesome. It's amazing what can happen when a kid is anxious if mom is calm. You've "treated" your own child with gradual exposure to what she fears and now look - she's completely "cured"! If only we could all have had such calm and with-it mothers in our early experience - we wouldn't have ended up with a phobia!

Have fun at aquatots!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well done. This is a great achievement and you should be proud of yourself. I am really pleased that your daughter got used to the water, this must have made you so happy. I hope you are brave enough to go to Aqua Tots. I used to take my daughter to a toddler swimming session and she loved it. She swims like a little fish now.

That's brilliant, well done [img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Good for you! It sounds like you both had a lovely time! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Awesome! All I know is that I hate water but my parents FORCED me to take swimming lessons when I was little. I haven't been swimming in years because I really hate the water cause my parents literally forced me to get into pools and whatever. If my mom would have been nice about it like you maybeI wouldn't hate it so much. Good job!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Awesome well done you !! [img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]

thats so good to hear!! good job!! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    ♥LIDIA&hearsts;