Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi all, well I just need to vent a little and ask you guys a question....here goes. My six year old son has a history of v* when he eats too many sweets because he just doesn't know when to say when. Only about five or six times in his life, but I get anxious when he eats dessert every time. So the other night I was busy cleaning out our car and other chores, and he asked me if he could have a chocolate bunny. They are huge, and not hollow, pure solid chocolatey goodness. So I said yes because I just wanted him to let me get stuff done, and didn't moniter how much he was eating. He was just fine though I thought, and at bedtime didn't complain about anything. Ok, may get graphic here....it was about three in the morning and he came into our bathroom and my hubby gets up to see what he's doing, and I hear it. We all know the sound. Thinking about it right now makes my heart pound like crazy and I want to just take sedatives and get numb. I lay there in complete and utter shock for ten seconds or so, then made myself get up, and hubby had put a trash can in front of him and he did it for probably a minute. He was making the most awful sounds, and looking at me the whole time. I felt so bad for him I wanted to cry. So we get cleaned up, and he says he wants to go to bed. Hubby goes to bed, but I am so hopped up on adrenaline and fear that bed is laughable to me. I absolutely cannot go to sleep if someone is sick. I hate being woken up by that horrible sound, I'd rather see it coming I guess. I ended up staying up with him until five thirty in the morning and he was just fine. Hungry even. But as I was sitting with him, I really did not think I could do it. So my question is, how do you all cope with a sick kid? Like literally, what do you do? I usually pop a couple ativans and turn on the tv for us and sit and wait and shake and sweat. I really feel like I am being tortured. And I must ask "are you gonna puke?" or "how are you feeling now?" a hundred times. My son actually said to me that night after I asked him so many times, "can you please just drop it?" Ah, if only it were that simple. So I would appreciate any input you could give me on ways to cope, and how to get through the illness without taking years off my life. I thought about getting hubby up to sit with him, but I just don't want my baby to think I'm not there for him. But, that may be the case if my kids get sick again, because I don't know if I can handle it, which is strange, because they've been sick before and I did it, I just felt really traumatized for so long afterwards. Ok, thank you for reading this long post, and I'm so glad I have you to turn to! Janna

Hello?

Hey, well i would suggest just doing anything that distracts...i always used to do cleaning like laundry, dishes, anything to stay busy....that always helped me...it's been a long for me since my boys were sick....knocking on wood here, but really it's when they were younger..they are 12 and almost 16 now...but i would always take my zanax and just stay real busy. Hope that helps some...i know it won't, but it's all i've got right now The only thing that really got me through, was to know it was going to be over soon.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Well thank you Kate for responding, I was sort of freaking out a little I guess, and would still like to hear from others also! So I really appreciate it Kate! janna

Dealing with sick kids is really hard, and it's especially bad in the middle of the night - well for me anyway! Sometimes I have a few sips of brandy to relax but I will still sit up all night waiting for 'it' to happen again.

To be honest, it does get better with time. My son was sick last night but I dealt with it all quite calmly (i.e. didn't need a swig o the hard stuff!). I have learned not to ask too many questions and also to try and focus on what they must be going through, after all they are the ones really suffering.

Ihave to admit that I do bring whichever kid is sick into my room so I can pre-empt the next episode, and I keep a bowl handy. Being prepared gives me more control andsaves me having to clean it up!

No prob!!! I hope that you are feeling alittle better now!! Just take it easy and try to relax...if you can. I know it sucks, and it is very hard to do...but just do your best...that's all you can do.. You'll be fine.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"