Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I'm going into the 8th grade and I have had a panic attack twice last year in 7th due to someone v*ing. And its always the same person. I really hate that. I wanted to know if I shoukd tell my teacher about my emet so when something does happen, my teacher will know. I told my teacher last year but I didn't fully explain the panic attacks, crying, shaking, ocd and everything that comes with my emet. I just told her that when someone v*s I freak out. So should I tell my new teacher the toned down version of my emet? Or just keep quiet?

Does the school nurse know? She should know too. Yes, I'd let the teacher know. But maybe your mom could write a letter to her about it?

Definitely. I would tell your teacher and I wouldn't even worry about toning it down, just let them know how it is.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I was always open with my teachers about my emet. They're adults, they're not likely to judge & it could be a great support for you.

so yes, i'd say go for it!

Jen x
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i would definatly tell my teach. i would rather be able to leave than have to suffer when the incident occrs.

I am a teacher and I would want to know if a child was emet. Then, I
    could make sure that you were just as ok as the sick child! I would
    definitely tell the teacher exactly how it is. That way, if you need to run
    out of the classroom in a huge hurry, he or she will most likely
    understand.

Julie

I second that! I am a teacher, too, and say, definitely tell!

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Yes I would inform her as well. That way so that if it does happen you may be able to leave the situation for awhile to calm down or what not...

Amber

Thank you everybody. The thing that scares me the most is that a kid that left in 6th is coming back, the problem is that that kid v* and gags all the time, he's so dramatic. Then there another kid who can never make it to the garbage can or the bathroom. The thing that bugs me the most is when kids don't feel good and they never, never, never call their parents to pick them up and then they wind up v*ing

Gosh I know your frustration. I had a bad experience in the 4th grade where this kid v_ in class all over his desk after lunch was over. Worst thing was it was all over his shirt and god knows what else. Since he felt better he stayed at school and wore the shirt he v_ all over!!! Can you believe that. I don't think I will ever forget that.
    GROSS!

Amber

Caligirl, you probably don't need to say anything. A lot of people are grossed out when someone vomits. It shouldn't be surprising that people leave the room in that situation. You probably won't even be the only one. It depends on how strict the attendance policy is at your school. You might be able to just loiter outside in the hall while they clean up. If you have to go to the office in that situation, you can just tell the nurse or secretary that you are feeling unwell because you saw someone throw up. You don't need to say anything about your emet.

Good luck! Vomiting, I believe, is much more rare in junior high than in elementary school. It is even less in high school. I don't think I ever saw vomit in my high school.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh my god, up until 6th grade there was a kid that V*ed in my class EVERY YEAR. It wasn't always the same kid but it always happened, from kindergarten to 6th and then once when I was in 9th grade. I'll always remember it, back then I didn't know what my fear was called but every time as soon as it happened I would freak out and get as far away from the person as I could, that included running out into the hall a few times. Once I was sitting across from a kid at a table and he V*ed all over the place...once I was on a bus and it happened at the FRONT and I sat in the back so I had to jump over it to get out. Anyway I would definitely tell your teacher, explain it to them as best you can...I tell people all the time now, that way if they are sick they tell me or try to stay away from me.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

caligirl510,

I am a teacher too and I happen to teach Grade 8 (and have taught Grade 7 up until now). I would go on to the treatments thread and print out Sage's article about emetophobia and bring it to your teacher. Make an appointment with your teacher and explain how you feel. As a teacher and an emet, I am very sensitive to anxiety in my students, but not everyone is. You need to take responsibility for yourself and show your maturity by talking about it.

happyteacher

I think it would definetly help if you told your teacher.

I'm in college and during my first semester I even warned my professors. I didn't go into a lot of details speificially about what phobia I had because they don't always care that much about the personal lives of their students, but I told them I was prone to panic attacks so I might have to step out for air during a lecture if that happens.

I think too many of this keep our emet a deep dark secret.

If we warn people that we have this problem, it might cause less of a problem if they do witness us in a situation where we freak out. If it just comes out of no where then they're likely to think "what the heck is wrong with her (or him)? that was so rude!", but if they're aware before hand that we have a problem with v*ing then I suspect they're more likey to accept that it's just the way we are.

A comparason I like to make is with people who don't like to be touched. If you casually touch someone on the shoulder to get their attention and they flinch away, you're likely to be surprised and maybe a little offended. However, if someone tells you that they're just one of those people don't like being touched, that's no big deal and you'll probably even make a concious effort to respect that (ie: not touching them even casually like you would with other people)

Well maybe if more of us "come out" I guess is a good way to phrase it, we'll find it works the same way with our emet.

Edited by: chicajojobe

Yeah, go right ahead and tell your teacher. Teachers need to know the individual issues that their students have. It helps them to teach the students better and to understand why they are behaving in the way they do.

As a teacher, I would want to know as long as you felt comfortable letting me in on it. You would probably feel so much more comfortable on a daily basis, just knowing that if someone became ill, you could leave the classroom. If you tell her or him, you can work out a plan in the case of an event like that.

Hope this helps!

*Amy*

My teachers knew about it finally,...in my senior year. It was peace of mind knowing I could leave at anytime I felt like I needed to.....You should tell....

Samantha

You can tell if you want. I normally tell when something happens, or if I have to leave. All of my friends know ,and so sometimes if i panic they will tell the teacher. I haven't thought about going up ahead of time and setting up a meeting or anything, but i'm sure that you could do that.

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!