Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Oh God I took my 7 yr oldlittle boy for a pre-op appointment at the dentist yesterday & found out he has to have 4 teeth taking out under a general anaesthetic on the 11th July [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]I knew it was coming & have been dreading it for 6 months, soI asked my mum to take him & let him sleep at her house afterwards as the dentist said 'expect him to feel very n* afterwards & could be s* because of the blood he will swallow' OMG!! I feel so guilty not being able to cope with him & the after effects & I feel like crying. He's not very happy at the thought of it either & i'm trying my best to put his mind at ease & reassure him that i've had lots of ops & nothing bad happened..

Has any of you lots children had teeht pulled at such a young age? If so, did they cope ok & did you??? [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

Mine haven't had teeth pulled, but 2 years ago when my middle child was 2 she had her tonsils out and they told me to expect her to v* blood, etc. Well, she was fine, not sick at all, she even wanted macaroni and cheese for dinner that night!!

My son had some teeth taken out under general anaesthetic last October. (he was 6) I was warned about possible n*& v* too, which terrified me! But on the day, he was absolutely fine. He was only out for about 10 minutes, but they kept him in the recovery room for about an hour in case of any adverse side effects. The minute he came round, he was really hyper and kept trying to wiggle his way off the table, but he felt fine and didn't v*.They gave us one of those cardboard bowler hat things in case he had to v* on the way home, but he didn't need it. And we hadn't been home an hour when he was begging for food, which he kept down.

Dentists have a duty to warn us about the worst possible scenario, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. I think your son will be ok, especially as you haven't had any bad reactions yourself. Get him to spit any blood into a hanky to minimise the amount swallowed. I know it's hard, but try not to show your anxiety too much. Best of luck and keep us posted.

i hope it all goes well for you both on the day x

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I forgot to ask the dentist how he's gonna eat afterwards. He's having his back teeth out on both sides... [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]He's gonna have to chew like a little chipmunk with his front teeth.. lol Poor kid.. I never had any teeth takenout till I was 25but I was old enough to cope...

It's gonna be hard but i'm sure once the initial op is over we'll be fine [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Jello, mashed potatoes, popciles, ice cream, yogurt, and smoothies --- literally... He might actually like eating fun soft foods. He will manage though, kids are a lot tougher than we give them credit.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wow! My boys each have had like three teeth pulled, and it was done just right there in the dentist chair. Granted, they had nitros oxide, ah, love that stuff, but it was a shot, a few tugs, and whallah, no tooth. Also very little blood and milkshakes right after even. So I'm sure your little guy will be just fine. Just tell them to suction out as much blood as they can. I bet it'll go really smoothly, can they give him an anti-emetic? Janna