Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Tips.

Just curious as to what your stance is on tipping your server.

Any servers here? I am. Servers unite!
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

I tip at least 20%- I used to serve, so short of the person spitting in my food directly in front of me, I will tip. If the service is really poor I will tip the standard 15% and be extra polite, which usually gets them either more bitchy, or embarrassed. If the service was really good, I will tip as high as 40% (depending on how expensive the meal was- I am still only a student).

I get extremely angry when I hear of people who don't tip- I think it is downright rude, especially in the states where manyservers make almost no money and have to rely on tips. I have heard of some servers making as little as 4$ an hour, which is criminal in my opinion. In Canada they are guaranteed at least minimum wage- which isn't much to begin with.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yep, Minimum wage it is!

.I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

Outside North America, tipping is generally seen as offensive by servers.

That being said, I live in the US and I generally tip 20-25% (more if the service was really good).
    ~ Natalie

I always tip servers. I have worked too many food service jobs, and know what hard work it is. I still tip if the person is rude, just not as much. I tip more if the server is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by fish demon

Outside North America, tipping is generally seen as offensive by servers.

That being said, I live in the US and I generally tip 20-25% (more if the service was really good).

I think that part of this is a rumour that was started so that north american tourists don't feel obligated to tip. I know that in some places this is true (or not allowed, as in Cuba), and in others gratuities are factored into the cheque.

But, in travelling to some areas where I have heard that you shouldn't/arent obligated to tip, I have and have always gotten a big smile and a thanks. One server even told me that because of my accent, she wasn't expecting a tip.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am a server! I hate it when buttholes don't tip. I make $2.13 an hour plus tips for crying out loud! I envy those who make at least minimum wage plus tips. Argh. Ohio sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a server at a major Hotel and of course all my customers are visitors....so the tips are usually pretty bad, majority of the people are from outside the US....I wish foreigners would have some consideration and learn what the expected tipping procedures are here, we do have to pay at least 8% tax on our tips so when we get less than that or none which happens very often we still have to pay the tax....I won't get into the usual type of people or what country they're from as to not offend anyone here...but when you have been a server as long as I have, i just have a negative attiude and won't go out of my way for people with accents or just knowing what country their from...it's terrible to have to feel that way...because you could be the nicest person in the world...but I raise 2 children and pay my mortgage on tips alone...I am not one of those waitresses that just serves people and expects a tip...I really think I am very friendly and efficient server and I hate to keep people waiting!.....but with that said...as the saying goes..you take care of me and i'll take care of you!
    ~Sheri~

i use to wait tables at chilis years ago...and i tell ya i hated getting crappy tips when i know i do a good job, even if i go somewhere and the service isnt that great i still tip the server because i know a lot of the time it isnt there fault, the cooks, hostesses, etc are all part of that...not to mention, the servers have to pay a big chunk to bussers, hostesses and cooks so sometimes after that you end up with very little tips after a hard days work!! it sucks!! but i will always tip 15% atleast 20-25% if it is fantastic and depending on how much the bill is!!!Edited by: loveable101
    &hearts;LIDIA&hearsts;

Oh yeah. Nothing pisses me off more than customers who blame the waitress for every problem, even when it obviously not the server's fault.

"Oh my! It's freezing in here! Can you please turn down the air conditioning?" I get that question at least ten times per shift. You can't freaking please everybody! We keep the thermostat at a comfortable 70 degrees. Any warmer and the servers will be sweating in your food. If you're that cold, next time, bring a sweater!

I also hate when I am being a really awesome, attentive, friendly server, and they leave me less than a 10% tip. That's just an insult. I'd almost rather get stiffed.

Bottom line: IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO TIP, YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO GO OUT TO EAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HDogg, you and I should get together and vent!!!!

I had an awful day at work yesturday which prompted me to make this thread. At our work me and another server split the tables/work and then split the tips we make for Sundays (Yes, I hate this way but I have no choice!) So it's usually very old people and all breakfast.

S yesturday...the girl I was working with got stiffed on 6 tables, had at least 4 rude guests (2 who got their meal for free because they complained, another who was a huge BITCH and made her cry). I got stuck with the older folk, and the screaming kids! One kid flipped over backwards in his chair and started WAILING and his mother didn't even really bat an eye! Needless to say I didn't get a tip from them, I got stiffed on two 3 other bills, and made less than 10% on most of my tables).

I had one kid who kept waving me over and telling me to clear his plate, and fill his drink and take this, bring that. He was about 8, I started ignoring him at one point because I was so annoyed!

So when all was said and done...our sales were about 700$ and after tipping out to the Hosts/Kitchen/Bussers/Walkout .....

We ended up with a measly 17.50$ each. I was pretty upset with that. It was awful!!!!!!!!!

Heather (I think that is your name), do you ever just want to quit?!?!?

In a fine restaurant or a trendy one, I tip 20% for regular good service, and much more if a server goes the extra mile. I tip way more in a greasy-spoon joint esp if it's an older woman that looks like she might be living off the horrid job. If I eat less and the food's cheaper, I tip more - maybe even 50%. If I get BAD service, however - anywhere - i.e. outright rudeness or a snotty attitude I will NOT leave a tip - sorry guys, but you gotta do your job to earn your money...and considering I'm usually such a good tipper it's a huge mistake to treat me like crap. I'm always friendly to servers, and never ask for extras or send stuff back unless it's completely inedible. Even then I usually apologize to them - lol.

One thing I do hate is the trend to tip absolutely everyone these days - give me a break. I do NOT tip hairdressers. They don't make minimum wage - not at $70 a haircut for God's sake. And I EXPECT them to do a good job - they don't get frickin' extra for it. I hate that.

I only tip food servers and pizza delivery guys. That's cuz my brother-in-law had to deliver pizza for a time and he made min wage AND had to pay his gas/car expense which meant he lost money if he didn't get tips. So I feel real sorry for them, and give them ridiculously huge tips! ha ha. We eat a lot of pizza in our house and I have two GORGEOUS 20-something daughters, so I''m sure the gang at Dominos fights over who gets to come here. They flirt with the hot chicks at the door, then get a huge tip - lol.

My son worked in tourism for a while and certain cultures don't tip - that's true. . My son told the tour groups about gratuity traditions and most complied with that even from other cultures.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I always tip what I can, I was a sever before and I know it's hard work. I don't eat out much, I usually just get food to go but if I sit down and have a drink at a bar then I always tip the bartender, and if he or she is nice and attentive to me I tip even more. It sucks not to get tips when you are making only 2.13 an hour (I live in Ohio too HDogg!!) So please everyone TIP YOUR SERVER!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Sage, that's too funny about your girls!

I tip my hairdresser and massage therapist, I know it's a habit I should get out of though! It's costing me tons of money!!!

I tip my hairdresser because I like the service, and I know that he charges me a lot less than he should forthe time he puts into my hair (I am always there for about 3 hrs, and he colours, highlights, cuts, dries and straightens- all for under 100$- he also specializes in head massages, so I get one of those too). Also, even though you may be spending a lot to get your hair done, money from that goes to paying for products, tools (which they mostly pay out of pocket for), and chair rental fees. I think that you are satisfied with the service you SHOULD tip, even if its only a few bucks.

I also make sure to give a few bucks to the shampoo girl, because I know she doesn't make a lot per hour, and with what she needs to do to my hair (comb through the mess to shampoo it, untangle afterwards, do it AGAIN after the colour was put on, and then blow dry it straight). They often get forgotton, and they do a lot of work for little money.

*amber*

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. I tip a little, maybe 3/4 dollars. I think tipping is good karma and I like to do it most of the time if I'm really happy with the service.