Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Recent

I am 16 and I have been afraid of throwing up for as long as I can remember. I was a nervous wreck until about sixth grade when I was diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder and put on anti depressants. In fifth grade I was afraid of everything. I could not leave my house without having a panic attack. I haven't been that bad since, until about three weeks ago. I threw up in public, twice in one day in the company of my friend's mom. I haven't had a steady appetite since and I am afraid to do anything. In 6th grade my mom threw up in a public place and I wasn't able to set
    foot in that place for three years. I am afraid that I won't be able to
    go to the places where I threw up for three years or longer. I am also
    afraid to go to my friend's house. The one who's mom I was with when I
    got sick. I am constantly afraid that I am going to throw up and I feel extremely nauseous. I drink about 15 large glasses of water a day because I have this weird belief that it helps me feel less nauseous.Whenever I go anywhere I have to scope out the closest exits or bathrooms or trash cans. I went on a trip this weekend and the only reason I didn't stay in a hotel room the entire time was because I had a friend with me and I felt guilty about feeling sick. I barely ate anything on the trip and at one point she asked me if I was anorexic. I went to a movie tonight because I thouight maybe I was better, but the entire time I was terrified that I was going to throw up. I think I hid it from my friend pretty well. I don't even know why I tried to hide it. I just feel so guilty for ruining people's fun. I am so afraid of being sick, and I am afraid of other people being sick. Nobody really understands. Every time I salivate I panic because I think I'm going to throw up. I am seeing a therapist but she isn't really doing anything to help. I don't know what to do.

Hey! Reading your post reminds me so much of myself! Seriously! I too will find the exits and bathrooms anywhere that I am just incase! I hate going on long trips, which my boyfriend and I are leaving for Tennessee at the end of this month and its going to be about a 6 hour drive. I'm soooo nervous. I always feel trapped in the car, but hopefully everything will be okay. I also hate ruining everyones time, which I feel like I do all the freaking time! I don't really have any advice...I know...I suck, but I just wanted to tell you that I'm the exact same way. Sometimes its nice just to have people to relate to. I'm going to a therapist too and he doesnt do anything either. I've been trying to find someone to go to, but haven't had any luck yet. I'm on a few different medications that help a little w/ the anxiety. Are you taking anything?
    All that we send into the lives of others,
    comes back into our own.

Wow you are very much like I was but stronger. I couldn't bring myself to go to movies until recently or restraunts or eating from home.
    I scope out for exits, bathrooms, whether they can have more than one person in them I hate knowing there is a bathroom but there is only one stall because someoe might be in there if I need it.
    My biggest mistake was NOT letting friends know about it or my family. I have had this since I was in about grade 5 I didn't discover what it was till I decided to research it myself about 5 years ago and i am 27 now.

My parents went years just thinking I was too embarrassed to go out with them my sister was upset because she thought I didn't want to come out to visit my friends would have been supportive had they known they just figured I was being a snob or boring whenI declined trips.
    Now that my family and friends know they are my support. My friend (now husband) really has helped me through now that he knows what I have.
    We shouldn't feel guity but we do because it feels like we are ruining it for other people and we just have to tell ourselves this is something we can't help and friends WILL understand as best they can.

Let yourself go to the places you were sick if you can. A little closer everytime if you can't the first time you will come to realize there is nothing to be afraid of. It won't be there still, it can't hurt you and you refuse to let that ruin your fun because you feel you need to avoid it.
    I feel sick LOTS but 90% of the time or more its from anxiety. You have to find what makes you calm. talking to yourself and convincing yurself you are going ot be ok you aren't sick and won't be sick, deep breathing, fresh air I use to use some chant t hing I made up I'd flick my thumb on each finger over the tops of each nail like I was flicking something and count each time I did it 1,2,3, 4...1, 2,3, 4,5,...1,2,3,4...1,2,3,4,5. Where I came up with it I have no idea but kind of zoned me out calmed me down.

I think you are doing fantastic by going out and not letting it control you as far as not going out. Maybe you need a new therapist. Each one will go about what you need in a similar way but unless you can make a connection with them, feel comfortable with them nothing they say will help. Sometimes it takes a couple.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.