Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

HI,, first post in here.. I never knew that i was not alone in this.. Untill the other night i found you guys... I feel much better now.. my last V**** was 9 years ago.. and i had gone thru a problem with a metoclopramide addiction (i like in argentina and its kinda over the counter here) they sell it in drops.. and i used to have it every single night.. now im geting over it slowly.. its been 2 months witoht it and i feel much better.. anybody had this problem before?

At one point when I was at my worst, I was taking up to 10 a day just because I was SO afraid of v*****.

Now I usually only have one when I'm hungover [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]or if I'm taking a long car trip. I just stopped taking them so much because I didn't need to, if that makes sense?

What is Metoclopramide?

Jessica

im addicted to another drug called stemetil... your supposed to have no more than 3 a day but i take anything up to 12 a day! i think that if i dont then i will be sick [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img] silly really but i cant help it...
    I couldn\'t tell you why she felt that way... she felt it everyday and i couldn\'t help her... i just watched her make the same mistakes again...

Metoclopramide is an Anti-sickness drug. They usually give it to people having chemo. I was addicted to (although I had to get my Dr to prescribe it) I would panic if I didn't have any in the house. It wasn't a physical addiction but a psychological one.

Eventually my mum pointed out the fact that I was still panicking everyday while taking them so they weren't doing much good. So I slowly started to stop taking them. When it was time for a pill i would wait as long as i could without taking it, till eventually I could go days without one and then weeks. I also found that after a few weeks not on them if i took one, the side effects of restlessness etc were Sooooo bad so it put me off taking them. I still have some pills in the house, they go with me on long journies. But I havent taken one in a year or so now.

The other problem is if you take a drug too much it becomes ineffective and cancause problems with your Liver.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I hear what you are saying, the reason i take so many is becuse ive been taking them for so long, the lower doses no longer work so i have to take more and more. Im tryin really hard to not take them but so far i cant stop [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img].
    I couldn\'t tell you why she felt that way... she felt it everyday and i couldn\'t help her... i just watched her make the same mistakes again...

Um, sarahx, not to nag or anything, bbut is it safe to be taking that manystemetils when you're pregnant?

nope its not which is why im desperately trying to cut down. The pregnancy wasnt planned tho so its very hard, especially when you feel sick everyday. The tablets are safe in the normal dose so i just have to get back down to that... this sucks...

I was never able to handle pills.. so i got it in a liquid form.. its a color less liquid.. you have to put arround 30 drops into a glass with some water.. its much more efficient when i have a crisis... I even tried SUBLINGUAL drops witch are supposed to work even faster than regular drops.. but now i'm getting better.. I used to have jars with drops all over and in every single pocket of every jacked i have... Now i replaced it with water.. when i'm feeling sick i drink liters of water... so far its been working great... just as today i was diagnosed with Irritable bowel sindrome.. the doctor explained me that sometimes the pain in that area generates nausea.. so now im kinda scared.... I just envy people who have no digestive problems.. those that eat bacon and orange juice and they can run a marathon after it and dont even worry.... well... god works in misterious ways...

btw... whats the porcentage of males vs female emetos?

chapecito, i too have irritable bowel syndrome... do u think it could be related to emet?

I take promethazine only when needed, which has not been very often lately. I don't panic if there's none in the house though. Benadryl has similar effects as it has an antihistamine, which can act as an anti nausea/v. property as well. If I have neither, I still don't freak, so I guess I'm not addicted. I guess you could try Benadryl if you get desperate. It seems to work for me. But it's the plain kind..not the multi-symptom kind.

BTW, I knew someone who hadn't v'd in 20 years and she took some promethazine and still v'd, so i'ts not 100%. Still it can give you peace of mind.

Jessica

I've never taken any anti-throwing up medicine, surprisingly. I guess
    I'm not much of medicine person, though. I havn't had a real one since
    1st grade, when I had strep throat. I did have some Tylenol about a
    year and a half ago, though.
    -Anna

We have Meto and Stemitil in our house but I only take one if I'm 8 out of 10 in the nausea stakes (i.e I feel very sick to the point I'm close to panicking). In the past I've taken them when I've only felt slightly sick and I thought there's no point keeping taking them like that because then the effect won't be as strong when I really do need it.

If I feel sick I rely on natural remedies (wrist bands, peppermint, ginger etc) and use the proper anti-emetics as the last resort.

Iwas prescribed Promethazine as well, and its such a small dosage, like one teaspoon, and it helps me a lot, but I only take it every once in a while... whenI REALLY need it. Like my doctor prescribed me Effexor to treat my anxiety, and that pill made me so dizzy and nauseated that I was taking the promethazine whenever I took the Effexor, but I stopped taking the Effexor because it isnt' worth it to me...

I wouldn't say I'm actually addicted to Gravol, but I rely on Gravol. I have at least 2 of them a day. I just don't go a day without taking gravol. I want to stop, but I can't really, I mean I could, but I have been like this for so long, it would be hard to break the habit. I know what I am taking isnt' as 'serious' as most of what you guys are taking, but still...